Hello, my name is Adam, and I bought a Mac.......

ross549

Yep, after hemming and hawing over the last few days, I went ahead and clicked the button. :DI purchased a used G4 Dual processor PowerMac from ebay. There are several reasons why. A couple of friends mentioned that the 1.25 dual processor was the most recent machine that will still run OS9. I want to be able to play with it too.Here are the specs:- G4 1.25GHz Dual Processors- 1GB RAM- 80GB Hard drive- DVD/CDRWThe only downside is that it does not come with the OS, so I will have to get my hands on OSX. Now just to find a retailer that sells it cheaper than at the Apple store.....It should be on my doorstop sometime early next week. :w00t:Adam

Yep, ebay. The source where you can find anything you want, if you know how too look for it. It really is best to know exactly what you want to buy before you even head over there, because there's usually quite a selection. I buy all my laserdiscs from ebay.... and have gotten some really great deals. ;)Adam

A Mac without an OS. That would concern me a bit. If you want to get a cheap copy of OS X then head to your local exchange. They sell it. The price is about the same as the academic version. ;)You do like your ebay. Give me a retail store anyday!

It is common on ebay for computers to not come with an OS. It was part of the cost, and I was expecting it. eBay is great, assuming that you are willing to wait for the exact item you want at the price you want. ;)Adam

It may be common, but it is not quite what I would do..... I can see wiping the drive clean, but why not pass on the disks that came with it. I don't think you can buy a new Mac without an operating system so what is the benefit of not passing on the disks?

I still say it is strange. If someone does not keep track of their disks, I wonder what care they take of their computers. Then again, that's why I buy new. Enjoy your entry to the Mac World! Should I pass on my collection of Mac Magazines?

I have the 800 page geek book that you can fast read if you know Linux. ;) It's available for checkout! "Mastering OS X v10.4 Tiger" by Stauffer & McElhearn.If we keep this up there will be more posts here today than in the ATL. :D

Adam.............ebay > computers > software > operating systems ( I purchased 2 XP's there waaayyyy .. below retail (like less than $80.00 and they were OEM versions includes product key)

I think this is a plot by Adam to get Julia's post count up.We have a hall rented, need those 15,000 posts! :w00t: :D
I think it will take a lot more than this. There are too many days now where i don't actually read anything. I have it as a home page on my school browser but I am usually on my way to the online testing site.
No, it was a conspiracy by Julia to force me to buy a mac! B) Adam
I believe this one worked. Let's see.. I sent you down a Linux trail with a bit of teasing (If I could do it then you could) and now I am doing the same thing here. When are you going to learn? Or should I say you are doing pretty good at learning. Oops, did I say that? :angry:

I believe this one worked. Let's see.. I sent you down a Linux trail with a bit of teasing (If I could do it then you could) and now I am doing the same thing here. When are you going to learn? Or should I say you are doing pretty good at learning. Oops, did I say that? :w00t:
Well you are taking care of all the early adopter issues for me... thanks for beta testing! :PAdam

Well you are taking care of all the early adopter issues for me... thanks for beta testing! :worthy: Adam
Me Beta test? You bet! Give it to me and let me break it! :( I do believe you have your share of fun as well. When do you get to leave the West Coast? Aren't they ready to throw you out of there yet?