How Do I Set Up A Web Page?

Big Jeff

My ISP lets me have 10 MB of space on the server for a web page. I don't really want to have a personal website but I would like to be able to upload images/screenshots/emoticons that I can link to. The instructions on the ISP's website are too vague so I've never bothered with it. I've recently joined a couple forums (including this one) that don't allow attachments to posts so now it looks like I need to stop procrastinating and set something up. I'm using Win XP Home and IE 6. Help, anyone? Thanks in advance.

Guest ThunderRiver

Does your ISP offer FTP? or Web Site upload?Either way, you have to login to your account, and upload filesand then, your ISP should tell you where your personal web space is located. It shouldn't be to vague unless there is some parts you couldn't get. Maybe you should post the part that you couldn't grasp.

Here's the info from my ISP's website:

1. f you just need this space for Ebay pictures, etc., then scan your photos to get them in your PC.2. Use FTP and connect to ftp.myisp.net using your login ID and password. This puts you in your Home directory.3. Make a directory called public_html in your Home directory using the FTP software. (If your account was opened recently then this directory will already exist and you won't have to create it.) Then copy your html files or jpg images into this directory.4. Name the home page index.html and it will be selected by default when someone requests a web page called http://www.myisp.net/~your_username.
I guess it's the "use FTP and connect..." part that I'm not getting. Do I need a seperate program for that or can I use IE 6? What if I'm already connected and online?Thanks.

Here's the info from my ISP's website:
1. f you just need this space for Ebay pictures, etc., then scan your photos to get them in your PC.2. Use FTP and connect to ftp.myisp.net using your login ID and password. This puts you in your Home directory.3. Make a directory called public_html in your Home directory using the FTP software. (If your account was opened recently then this directory will already exist and you won't have to create it.) Then copy your html files or jpg images into this directory.4. Name the home page index.html and it will be selected by default when someone requests a web page called http://www.myisp.net/~your_username.
I guess it's the "use FTP and connect..." part that I'm not getting. Do I need a seperate program for that or can I use IE 6? What if I'm already connected and online?Thanks.
Yeah, you need to get a ftp client. There are a lot of free, quality ones out there.Wsftp-le: http://www.ftpplanet.com/download.htmIt is free to home users.Smart-ftp: http://www.smartftp.com/Free as well.Once you get to this point, if you need further help, just say so. I should be around my PC most of the day. More than happy to help you through anything you need.

Guest ThunderRiver

Because these servers are running Sun Solaris/Linux, make sure you create the folder public_htmlThat folder symbolizes web space, so everything you put in there will show up on the web.The instruction looks quite straight forward. Just get a FTP client and get moving!Also, if you are interested, check and see if these servers support PHP, it is a very nice environment to play and learn PHP language.. that is if you are interested..Thunder

Okay, I dl'd SmartFTP (thanks Stryder) and uploaded a jpg file to public_html. Now I'm stuck on step 4 in the instructions I posted above. Just what am I supposed to rename to index.html?Thanks.

Okay, I dl'd SmartFTP (thanks Stryder) and uploaded a jpg file to public_html. Now I'm stuck on step 4 in the instructions I posted above. Just what am I supposed to rename to index.html?Thanks.
If you want a displayed webpage you need to name it index.html. Meaning If you want a browsable page like a lot of peoples personal web pagesIf you are using it for storage that you want to link to you should be able to link to it by doing this, without creating a index.html file:http://www.myisp.net/~your_username/nameofpicture.jpg

If you go to the forum test area and open my post you can right click the image place marker and see the exact url I used (properties).

Hey, it works! Buddy's the coolest, funniest dog of the many I've had over the years. Thanks so much for taking the time to help me out. I love learning. Even at my advanced age. ;) I'm off to play now. Thanks to ThunderRiver, as well.

Hey, it works! Buddy's the coolest, funniest dog of the many I've had over the years. Thanks so much for taking the time to help me out. I love learning. Even at my advanced age.  ;) I'm off to play now. Thanks to ThunderRiver, as well.
Your welcome Jeff. I'm gald we got it worked out. If there is anything else, you know where to find me.