Just discovered Mcafee sucks, what's better?

jeffw_00

Hi - I'm a long time Mcafee fan (serious software, and it always worked well), but what a surprise I got when i upgraded from version 5 to version 8 (for XP). All the configurability is gone!!! Can't exclude specific files (or extensions)! On scheduled backups you can't adjust ANYTHING - can't even keep it from checking compressed files (and this is the hard disk where I keep all the full backups of my other 4 machines), can't even restrict it to one partition. Wow this software sucks! (glad it was free with rebates).what's better? I remember Norton as being quite intrusive - it is more serious?and has anyone mucked with the free stuff - AVG from Grisoft. for example....hmm- anti-virus from chechoslovokia (spelled wrong, I know, it's late), - does that seem safe 8-}.any suggestions?/j

Guest PrivateDancer
any suggestions?/j
investment in 'superior hardware router' is better security than any s/w suitecombined with online scans (like Panda) & expert secuirty settings especially with non IE browser & you won't need to choose between dumb & dumber or dumbest(i.e: mcafee, norton, zonelabs) Add decent configurable proxy server to the mix & you have it licked!

James M. Fisher

I'm running Norton AV 2005 and it hasn't given me any trouble. I stay away from anything like NIS or Systemworks; that's getting too intrusive for my liking.AVG is very good; soon there will be a free v7 (it's in beta right now). Many are quite happy with the paid version as well.Actually the Czechs appear to be in the forefront of AV research; there's another free AV called Avast! that's quite good as well.Really, does it matter where the actually company is located or the nationality of the programmers? The "red scare" was over long ago, Jeff. ;) (now if there was a Bin Laden AV, I might be a wee bit wary....)BTW, Kapersky also rates high. It's HQ is in Moscow.......

I'm not in windows much but I do have antivir installed on it - seems to work fine - no problems so farwww.free-av.comI have noticed the site is really slow lately or not loading, not sure if it is getting heavy traffic or what.

Hi James - I was being a bit facetious over the 'foreign' threat - maybe I'll chuck mcafee and go for AVG. - thanks. Hey - can I assume these free ones have the basic feature set (partition select, file exclude, compressed-file exclude, schedulability (WITH options 8-}))???PrivateDancer - I'm embarrassed to say i didn't understand your answer - what sorts of things specifically are you referring to?

James M. Fisher
Hi James - I was being a bit facetious over the 'foreign' threat - maybe I'll chuck mcafee and go for AVG. - thanks. 
I knew you were, Jeff. ;)
Hey - can I assume these free ones have the basic feature set (partition select, file exclude, compressed-file exclude, schedulability (WITH options 8-}))???
Yes, they all pretty much come with scheduablity and auto updating. Avast! is quite full-featured. AVG v7 looks good too; I tried the beta.

Guest Paracelsus
hmm- anti-virus from chechoslovokia (spelled wrong, I know, it's late), - does that seem safe 8-}.
Almost 15 years late, Jeff :PThere hasn't been a Czechoslovakia for quite a while. The Czech and Slovakia Republics parted ways after the fall of Communism there.(Sorry for going of topic, but I know several Czechs. Nice people)

....  Wow this software sucks! ...what's better?  I remember Norton as being quite intrusive - it is more serious?and has anyone mucked with the free stuff - AVG from Grisoft. for example.......any suggestions?/j
glad someone else figured it out too :)yep - www.grisoft.com AVG Pro is the one you wantsure there's a free version, but i don't trust it, just not enough available options that the pro version hasspend the $33.30, you'll be happier :happyroll:

Well I can't agree more about the sucking of one AV. Though it does bring me income having to rescue those who don't run any AV or FW.I rather like NIS 2005. Have had NIS since 2002 and it does what it says. Yes it's a bit intrusive in the beggining but so is setting up a real hardware firewall. While I think the rest of the sofware from norton can be left at the store tis one is good. Ya I've tried a few others but come back to the ease of use.

Personally I find Nod32 is the most accurate fast, and least resource hungry of all. It has won many industry awards.However, seeing it costs money, I use AntiVir which is nearly as good but a little more effort to use. :P

ninecomputers - is the free version representative (I.e., if I try the free version and don'tlike it - does that just mean I need to go to the paid one?)thanks/j

AVG seems to be the one I hear about the most places - I'll give it a try - looking at the website it looks like the free version is sufficient for me. Does anyone have suggestions about whether to try the "FREE" or the "FREE Beta 2.0" - I mean - is the "FREE" buggier since it comes before the beta?I'm also posting this to this forum (if anyone needs what looks like a high-traffic AVG forum)http://forum.gladiator-antivirus.com/index.php?showforum=155will let you know what i learn/j

James M. Fisher
AVG seems to be the one I hear about the most places - I'll give it a try - looking at the website it looks like the free version is sufficient for me.  Does anyone have suggestions about whether to try the "FREE" or the "FREE Beta 2.0" - I mean - is the "FREE" buggier since it comes before the beta?/j
I would say no....the beta is a completely new version of AVG. In fact it looks more like the present 'paid' version with an updated interface and a few new features.I recommend using free v6 for now, then upgrade when the new version is released. That's what I'll do on my wife's PC.I would be interested in what the replies from the other forum would say too.

nlinecomputers

The Free version is a stable version of the older version 6. Beta is just that Beta. I wouldn't use a beta security product on a production machine. That's like skydiving with a beta parachute.

ok thanks - i'll add it to the weekend project list/jWhat will be interesting is this: While grinding endlessly on my big ZIP backup files, mcafee8 found a couple of trojans that macafee 5 missed (both have latest updates).I'm interested to see if AVG finds them.,,./j

The Free version is a stable version of the older version 6.  Beta is just that Beta.  I wouldn't use a beta security product on a production machine.  That's like skydiving with a beta parachute.
:lol: :devil: :lol:

you have to look at WHEN It passed and failed - old failures and new passes mean they just upgraded the SW - ones that fail recently should be considered not good

you have to look at WHEN It passed and failed - old failures and new passes mean they just upgraded the SW - ones that fail recently should be considered not good
I agree that the format of the ratings could be better presented. Choosing a date range would be useful. So too would combining the two McAfee entries. :unsure:

I can't believe I'm saying this - but although Mcafee sucks, everything else sucks more, I think. Admittedly, I didn't give AVG a trial because i saw some mixed comments about it on the web (and it didn't rate all that high at that website), and - more importantly, they don't support my mail client (Mozilla) yet. I tried Etrust - slickly designed, full-functioned GUI, but sort of bare bones. I't missed a trojan from august that mcafee found. and it doesn't go outside the virus box to look for worms, spyware, etc. which norton and mcafee are good at finding also no support really.I downloaded a free trial of Norton - what a dog! Very slow, cumbersome. GUI had all the features I wanted. but big, slow, slowed the machine down, and every so often wanted a re-install. (also no support, btw)I got to thinking about mcafee. I never do a complete scan at work. Perhaps the reason they make a full-scan unpleasant is that you don't really need it, i.e., on-demand is good enough. For example , on one of my kids machines, I noticed that when I ran ad-aware (Which i do every night), Mcafee flagged a bunch of stuff as adaware touched it. I figure that this, plus a manual run every week or so when I remember might be good enough. (and mcafee has very accessible support FWIW).so believe it or not - I'm using mcafee for now. Might try AVG when version 7 gets out of beta.anyway, thought you'd be interested in my findings. if not, why did you read so far down? 8-}/j

nlinecomputers
Might try AVG when version 7 gets out of beta.
That is twice you have said that. WTF are you talking about? AVG Grisoft's current version is number 7. Has been for some time. They don't currently have a beta version of 7 it is version 8. The free version is version 6. If you want the latest version you need to pay for it but they do offer a 30 day trial of version 7.