Grasshopper

Grasshopper

A note first...I must say the installer is very slick. I just upgraded from 0.9 to 0.9.1 in about 20 seconds!! Upgrading from 0.8 to 0.9 took less than 2 minutes.I do have questions about settings though. And 0.9.1 didn't seem to change anything on the browser for me.On tabbed browsing, I used to (0.8) have it to where when I'd go into Bookmarks and click Open in Tabs to open all my funnies in a browser window, the page I was in before would change to the first page I had listed in that Bookmark category. Now, with 0.9.1, the page that I was in stays there at the head of the tab row. So I have to close it first and then go down my row of comics. I've tried all the settings but it's changed enough that either they took that away or I'm completely missing it.Also, the Google bar doesn't seem to be right. Before, I had a Google bar that spanned the entire window. It was fully functional with all the buttons and such. Now, I have a small Google "field" in the upper right corner. It's only a field to enter a Google search. It doesn't have the features that it used to. Again, I've tried all the settings without luck.The browser is fast but I hope that Mozilla doesn't go the way of other software companies in its pursuit of "excellence". Simplicity FIRST!! I have a problem with software that is so "feature rich" that it becomes too complicated to manage. And I consider myself and advanced user.

I haven't really noticed it, but I think you're right about the open in tabs setup... I don't have any to test it on here at work, but IIRC, I do have the same issue at home... I'll play with it more tonight and see what I can come up with. I think it's a change in TBE, and not FF.

Grasshopper
I think it's a change in TBE, and not FF.
I believe you're right, although I have been having some trouble getting settings to stay in TBE. ;)

Also, the Google bar doesn't seem to be right. Before, I had a Google bar that spanned the entire window. It was fully functional with all the buttons and such. Now, I have a small Google "field" in the upper right corner. It's only a field to enter a Google search. It doesn't have the features that it used to. Again, I've tried all the settings without luck.
Are you perhaps thinking of the Googlebar extension? This adds a bigger search window and has lots of button options.

Grasshopper

Hmmm...well, I went to the extensions page and downloaded it...a few timesWith previous versions, that's precisely what I had done. I didn't get it from Google or anything like that.And yes, that's what I'm asking about. Right now, I'm using a very simplified version. It sits on the same line as the address bar. It also is accessible via CTRL-K (aka Web Search in the Tools menu).Ryan, did you ever come up with anything on the tab issue???

tbird,I found why you aren't getting your original tab to load one of the bookmarks.Navigate to the url about:config.In the Filter, type tabsFind the entry browser.tabs.loadFolderAndReplaceRight Click>Modify and change to trueThere you go! You can navigate away from about:config, the settings should take place immediately. Better yet, after changing that, try opening your group of bookmarks and see if it works!

tbird,I found why you aren't getting your original tab to load one of the bookmarks.Navigate to the url about:config.In the Filter, type tabsFind the entry browser.tabs.loadFolderAndReplaceRight Click>Modify and change to trueThere you go! You can navigate away from about:config, the settings should take place immediately. Better yet, after changing that, try opening your group of bookmarks and see if it works!
Mine was set to true already, but I changed it to false, and back to true, and then it worked... :)

Grasshopper

Good one SFFL!!That did it. I'd never been in the about:config before. I must admit to not being much of a "hacker". :)

Grasshopper

OK. Here's something else.I have a couple of internet shortcuts on my desktop. I double clicked on one of them (and then of course the rest to make sure) tonight and got this message:

Windows cannot find 'http://www.belchfire.net/'. Make sure you type the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.
After a fraction of a second and also the Critical Stop sound, the browser opens with the correct website.Now, I know what this error message is for but I've not ever seen it from an internet shortcut. This the first time I've tried to open one of my desktop shortcuts since upgrading to 0.9.1.Side note: I also had to reassign my default browser away from IE after the 0.9 uninstall/0.9.1 install process. That's never happened before, even going from Firebird to Firefox... :)

I loaded .9.1 on a computer that never had Firefox on it. The themes doesn't work. Someone in another forum who is having a first look at it asked. I downloaded a theme via the tools/themes popup window and when it was done downloading, it disappeared. I had to search by date and size. It is in the cache but never appears in the themes window so I can't select it to use it.

try right-clicking and downloading the theme to your harddrive and then open the themes window and drag the theme into it.