GLib (or maybe not...) install problems

Neil P

OK I'm trying to update my version of gaim. I get the RPM and it tells me I need to have aspell installed. Thats fine, so I get that and now I need to install gtk2.0+. Which is a real pain in the you know what.The problem lies with GLib. I get it installed (at least I don't have any errors) and when I try to install Pango, the ./configure always comes up with the error of

checking for GLIB - version >= 2.1.3... no*** Could not run GLIB test program, checking why...*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for the*** exact error that occured. This usually means GLIB is incorrectly installed.configure: error:*** Glib 2.1.3 or better is required. The latest version of*** Glib is always available from ftp://ftp.gtk.org/.

Any ideas/suggestions? I'm sure this is an easy one too...

What does the config.log file say?
I'm not at home right now, so I can't answer you now.But do you want the whole thing? (Its pretty long)

I would take Bruno's sage advice on this:http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...=15entry55216Sorry! You are really asking for trouble messing with glib!
Thanks Fran ! Saves me typing the whole story again ! :D :D Hi Neil . . . the Glib and Glibc libraries are the most important in Linux because most of the programs are written in C . . once you start changing/messing those libs you´re in for a long ride of dependency problems and will end up with a lot of programs that will not work anymore . . . ;)Neil, there should be a new verion of Gaim available through urpmi . . . . specially made for Mandrake and super easy to install.B) Bruno

Guest LilBambi

Happy to help, Bruno ;)Just trying to keep folks from breakin' their OS on New Year's Eve before you could get back online to help with possible alternatives.Which you did! B)

Neil, there should be a new verion of Gaim available through urpmi . . . . specially made for Mandrake and super easy to install.B) Bruno
Having never used urpmi, I went to "The Tips" and found out how to use it. My only problem is when I go to Mandrake Update and select a mirror, every time, no matter which one I pick, I get the error:
There was an error while adding the update medium via urpmi.This may be due to a broken or temporary unavailable mirror, or when your Mandrake Linux version (9.1) is not yet/no more supported by Mandrake Linux Official Updates.Do you want to try another mirror?

Update: Crazy Mirrors...now it lets me in. Although I think I'm doing something wrong (concerning urpmi). There is a gaim package, but it still won't work (dependency problem B) ) Is there something different that I should be doing for urpmi?

Hi NeilAbout the update mirrors: do choose a mirror from The Netherlands . . . they are quick and reliable . . most of the US mirrors have problems.For the Gaim package: I think you will have to add a few additional sources ( I will check on this ) to get the latest one . . but with urpmi there should be no dependency problems just as long as you are online to fetch them.Sometimes it help to first un-install the package and just install them again to solve the problem.:whistling: Bruno

Hi NeilAbout the update mirrors: do choose a mirror from The Netherlands . . . they are quick and reliable . . most of the US mirrors have problems.For the Gaim package: I think you will have to add a few additional sources ( I will check on this ) to get the latest one . . but with urpmi there should be no dependency problems just as long as you are online to fetch them.Sometimes it help to first un-install the package and just install them again to solve the problem.:whistling: Bruno
Bruno,Do I have to do something different to use urpmi, or is that what I'm doing when I go to "Mandrake Update" from the MCC?

NeilThe extra packages get listed in the "add software" section in the MCC . . read these 2 Tips:http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...=14&t=503&st=23http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...14&t=503&st=225The first is for 9.1 the second for 9.2 . . but the first has a better describtion how to get the packages once the sources are added.

After adding sources to your list you will find all available packages, hundreds of them, where it says: "all packages by group" change "by group" in "by source repository" and you will get a list of the sources you added and the packages they carry. I added 4 to the usual CD1, CD2, CD3, Mandrake Update: Texstar, plf, thacs and club comm. But you can add as many as you like.The nice thing is that if you choose a package, in the right pane will appear a short summary of what the software is about and what files it will install on your computer.If you click right on the pane you can even indicate that you want normal or maximum information.
They only changed the terminology in 9.2 and changed the name "sources" to "media"ALTERNATIVE:An easy way to see what version of Gaim you have now is to go to "Remove Software" and type Gaim in the search box. ( you do not have to remove it ) Tell me what version you have and I will search where to get an upgrade . . ( were you running 9.1 ? ) ( NOTE: I found "gaim-0.74-1.1.91mdk" as an official update for Mandrake 9.1, should be available in the MCC update function . . . ):whistling: Bruno Edited by Bruno

NeilYou are running 9.1 ?I found "gaim-0.74-1.1.91mdk" as an official update for Mandrake 9.1, should be available in the MCC update function . :whistling: Bruno

( NOTE: I found "gaim-0.74-1.1.91mdk" as an official update for Mandrake 9.1, should be available in the MCC update function . . . ):unsure: Bruno
I downloaded that, but when I tried to install it I got the message:
Conflicts were detected:libgtkspell.so.0 is needed by gaim-0.74-1.1.91mdkInstall aborted.

This is what led me on my original journey in the first place :'(Edit: Yes I am running Mandrake 9.1 :whistling:

Edited by steeler fan for life

NeilHow did you try to install it . . . ? Were you on-line whilst installing it ? ( It should have downloaded and installed libgtkspell.so.0 automatically )Try this: ( But you will have to be online when doing this )

$ su< password ># urpmi gaim-0.74-1.1.91mdk.i586.rpm

:whistling: Bruno

NeilHow did you try to install it . . . ? Were you on-line whilst installing it ? ( It should have downloaded and installed libgtkspell.so.0 automatically )Try this: ( But you will have to be online when doing this )
$ su< password ># urpmi gaim-0.74-1.1.91mdk.i586.rpm

:whistling: Bruno

Yeah I'm online (and I was before). I tried the command you just gave me and this is what I got:
[root@localhost rpms]# urpmi gaim-0.74-1.1.91mdk.i586.rpminstalling gaim-0.74-1.1.91mdk.i586.rpmInstallation failed:        libgtkspell.so.0 is needed by gaim-0.74-1.1.91mdk

NeilWe will take another way:Download the package here: ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man....91mdk.i586.rpmPut it in your /home/neil directory and we will force the install:$ su< password ># rpm -ihv --nodeps gaim-0.74-1.1.91mdk.i586.rpmThe "libgtkspell.so.0" is only for spelling correction anyway, and by the looks of it you don´t really need it . . :unsure::whistling: Bruno

NeilWe will take another way:Download the package here: ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man....91mdk.i586.rpmPut it in your /home/neil directory and we will force the install:$ su< password ># rpm -ihv --nodeps gaim-0.74-1.1.91mdk.i586.rpmThe "libgtkspell.so.0" is only for spelling correction anyway, and by the looks of it you don´t really need it . . :ermm::unsure: Bruno
It seemed to have installed, but now I can't get it to run :(Why is it so difficult to upgrade gaim, this should be an easy one ! :whistling:

Neil#$@% !!Please open a console and type:$ gaimAnd tell me what happens . . . copy and paste the error messages in your post.:whistling: Bruno

[neil:~]$ gaimgaim: error while loading shared libraries: libgtkspell.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

:blink:

Bruno,It worked!Thanks for the help (it seems like everyday I'm thanking you for help...but I'm learning!) as always!

Preliminary testing: Well worth the hassle! It is much cleaner/nicer than my previous version, overall a much better IM experience!(One more quick question: will k3b's "Copy CD" function make a "good" copy of the Mandrake install CD's, or is there a different method?)

:blink: Awesome, I lent a friend my CD's and I want them back!(I got him hooked too, he registered here, but I don't thinks hes made any posts yet)