Photo

EvilGnome: A New Backdoor Implant Spies On Linux Desktop Users

17 Jul 2019

Posted by securitybreach in Bruno's All Things Linux

Security researchers have discovered a rare piece of Linux spyware that's currently fully undetected across all major antivirus security software products, and includes rarely seen functionalities with regards to most Linux malware, The Hacker News learned.

It's a known fact that there are a very few strains of Linux malware exist in the wild as compared to Windows viruses because of its core architecture and also due to its low market share, and also many of them don't even have a wide range of functionalities.

In recent years, even after the disclosure of severe critical vulnerabilities in various flavors of Linux operating systems and software, cybercriminals failed to leverage most of them in their attacks.

Instead, a large number of malware targeting Linux ecosystem is primarily focused on cryptocurrency mining attacks for financial gain and creating DDoS botnets by hijacking vulnerable servers.

However, researchers at security firm Intezer Labs recently discovered a new Linux backdoor implant that appears to be under development and testing phase but already includes several malicious modules to spy on Linux desktop users.

EvilGnome: New Linux Spyware

Dubbed EvilGnome, the malware has been designed to take desktop screenshots, steal files, capture audio recording from the user's microphone as well as download and execute further second-stage malicious modules...........

To check if your Linux system is infected with the EvilGnome spyware, you can look for the "gnome-shell-ext" executable in the "~/.cache/gnome-software/gnome-shell-extensions" directory....
https://thehackernew...me-spyware.html

608 Views · 21 Replies ( Last reply by V.T. Eric Layton )

Photo

More Adventures in Networking

17 Jul 2019

Posted by raymac46 in Security & Networking
One of the boys in the 'hood called me yesterday. Seems he switched ISPs, got a new gateway and his printer didn't work anymore.
"Are you wired in or is it wireless?"
He assured me it was wired - right next to the desktop. So I went over to check it out.
When I got there I discovered that the only connecting wire was a power cord. The wireless light was flashing - no connection.
So we hunted up his new password and entered it into the printer. The light went steady and a test page printed.
Then he wanted to scan using the push button on the printer but the scan failed. I checked the computer and couldn't find any scanning software. So I downloaded the latest HP printer driver package. After a reboot he could scan from the printer or command a scan from the computer.
I don't know why the tech who came in to install his new gateway didn't get it right, but there you go. Another case where technology is too difficult for the user.

490 Views · 25 Replies ( Last reply by Digerati )

Photo

Oracle Java™ Critical Security Updates Released

17 Jul 2019

Posted by Corrine in Security & Networking
Oracle released the scheduled critical security updates for its Java SE Runtime Environment software.  This Critical Patch Update contains 10 new security fixes for Oracle Java SE.  Nine (9) of these vulnerabilities may be remotely exploitable without authentication, i.e., may be exploited over a network without requiring user credentials.  The English text form of this Risk Matrix can be found here. The update also includes numerous Bug Fixes.

Update

If Java is still installed on your computer, it is recommended that this update be applied as soon as possible due to the threat posed by a successful attack.

Download Information

Java SE 8u221
Java SE 12.0.2 Development Kit (64-bit only)
Notes:
  • UNcheck any pre-checked toolbar and/or software options presented with the update. They are not part of the software update and are completely optional.

530 Views · 0 Replies

Latest Discussions

Site Navigation

Online Users

0 members, 105 visitors and 0 anonymous users

Bing, Google

Portal v1.1.0 by DevFuse | Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS