My lavender and white Corvair convertible

Guest LilBambi

Guest LilBambi

Cool Temmu.

It's amazing the things you remember from your youth ... that was not really a life altering thing that happened to me. But I really loved that little car...and my Dad did is best to make sure I had a great replacement car.

Guest LilBambi
Was yours more of the lavender color shown on this site: Lavender Corvair

corvair%20005.jpg

My brother had one in the late 60's and loved it. Not sure of the color anymore.

YES!!!! THANK YOU frapper! That's it! Except mine was faded oxidized but that's the color it would have been if it wasn't oxidized!

Well...it sorta looks like a cross between a Kaiser-Frazer and a Studebaker. On another site someone thought Crosley. But I really don't know.

Anyway, how's this?

W9jpC.jpg

Here's the link: Flickr

Guest LilBambi

525678113_7b8da34789.jpg

There's a convertible evening orchid Corvair with the hood up...like mine would have looked with the top on.

That search also has Chevy Impalas, etc. in evening orchid as well. It was a Chevy color :D

Some of those evening orchid Corvairs are from the World O' Jeff Blog of course.

• 2 weeks later...
Cluttermagnet

I had a Corvair Monza for a while, think it was a 65. It was a sedan or hardtop or whatever, 4 doors I think. Nimble little thing, tended to oversteer slightly on interstate entrance ramps, but not all that bad. It had something like 2 or 3 one barrel carburetors, ganged, as I remember. I think it was a burgundy color. Anyway, those engines used to slobber oil out the back end really bad, fouled the grille across the back end of the car. Nasty. They are real pretty, and were atypically classy in their lines for a Corvair IMO, compared to those clunkier, more rounded looking Corvairs. Fran, a lovely memory of your Dad, but IMO that Ford Galaxie 500 was way more practical for a personal auto. But yes, not quite so cool in its lines...

Guest LilBambi

Cluttermagnet, yes! :yes: Totally agree!

The Corvair was amazing looking for the day! But I loved my Ford Galaxie 500 (mine was burgundy and black though)! BTW: My Dad also had a Ford Galaxie which I drove before he got me the Galaxie 500! That's another interesting story...

I talked my Dad into letting me drive it to a friend's house on the other side of town. I hadn't driven to that side of town on my own yet since you had to cross a major highway to get there, so he was having a hard time letting my inexperienced self go. He trusted me, but didn't trust everyone else out there. I gave him all kinds of assurances because I was gonna take the back way all the way and only cross the highway not drive on it at all. He cautiously allowed it with all kinds of warnings and admonitions about being careful. ;)

Well, I crossed the major highway with no problems, and was well on my way to my friend's house the backway when a big rock flew out of the woods (liikely propelled by some daggone kid) and cracked my Dad's windshield... I never asked to drive his car again. I was heartbroken. I did everything right and was careful and still the car got hurt.

I learned an important lesson as a driver that day. It's not always you that's the problem. You have to watch out for everything! And even then you can still have an unlucky day. So, like with everything else. Don't borrow unless you absolutely have to.

Course I was also heart broken when my Ex totaled my Galaxie 500 a year after I got it (a month after we got married) while he was gawking/rubbernecking at gas lines in the early 70s.

Some days you just can't win. LOL!

Guest LilBambi

This is actually what my Dad's Ford Galaxie looked like:

2794915364_985fe5c79e.jpg

This is what my Ford Galaxie 500 with the awesome engine and you could actually see the needle on the gas gauge go down some when you went into passing gear (would be a scary thought at today's gas prices!) Rarely did it, but sometimes I just wanted to hear the engine! It sounded wonderful!

2654718478_98d7d77db5.jpg