123 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   Bruno

Bruno

Le Professeur Pingouin

• Admin Emeritus
  • 37,904 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 04:07 PM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on Nov 10 2006, 09:04 PM, said:

You know, Bruno, I should just make your tips page my home page in FF. ;)
LOL . . . actually I have that myself :thumbsup:

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on Nov 10 2006, 09:04 PM, said:

Thanks! I'm off to go see what trouble I can get into with Swaret. :)
You're a bright lad  . . . you will manage fine ! :)B) Bruno

#27 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,788 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 04:51 PM

Oooh boy! Swaret is installed and I'm currently d-loading bunches of goodies from the LinuxPackages site. :thumbsup:

#28 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,788 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 05:12 PM

OK, I installed:Open OfficeArobat ReaderMplayer w/ codecsNVU -- unfortunately, I can't find it in the Gnome menu. I think it's only for KDE. :thumbsup: All fixed. I just created a new launcher for it using Gnome's menu editor. :)Also, I have my sound working now.Making progress! I'll be a Slacker in no time. ;)I still need to decide about this kernel upgrade, though. One reason is that I'd really like to use UDEV instead of Hotplug. I think I need the 2.6 kernel to do that. Well... I'll keep researching.

Edited by V.T. Eric Layton, 10 November 2006 - 05:27 PM.

#29 OFFLINE   Bruno

Bruno

Le Professeur Pingouin

• Admin Emeritus
  • 37,904 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 05:55 PM

Great progress you made there Eric !!About udev: yep you would need the 2.6 kernel for that . . . but honestly I do not see why you would prefer udev.:thumbsup: Bruno

#30 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,788 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 06:02 PM

Well, I'm not really sure myself, except for the fact that all the other distros I'm used to using use UDEV. I understand that there would be a boot-up speed increase, supposedly. However, I'm not sure if there are any other advantages.Speaking of hardware, Bruno... how can I get hdparm to work in Slack. I'd like to activate my DMA on my drives. Can I do that in slack without hdparm?

#31 OFFLINE   Bruno

Bruno

Le Professeur Pingouin

• Admin Emeritus
  • 37,904 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 06:16 PM

Hi EricFor hdparm . . do "swaret --install hdparm" ;)As for Udev . .  no it will not make the boot faster at all . . . and personally I would prefer my Slackware without udev for as long as it is not absolutely needed. ;) ( but that might be personal because I have suffered to many bugs when udev was introduced . . it was a nightmare . . . . I do agree however that these days udev is causing less problems but it still gives me a headache thinking back how buggy it was ):thumbsup: BrunoPS: If the package is in the database: http://packages.slac...=...=1&q=hdparm you can install it using swaret B)

#32 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,788 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 04:08 AM

Well, I think I got it installed, but I can't figure out where it is. In Ubuntu, I seem to remember that it's in the /etc directory. You have to manually edit the hdparm.conf file. I can't find it in Slack, though. B)

#33 OFFLINE   Bruno

Bruno

Le Professeur Pingouin

• Admin Emeritus
  • 37,904 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 04:14 AM

Hi EricHave a look here: Here and page 2 of This more detailed info page at O'Reilly.B) Bruno

#34 OFFLINE   Bruno

Bruno

Le Professeur Pingouin

• Admin Emeritus
  • 37,904 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 04:19 AM

NOTE: Where it says " Be sure to add the above line (not the test line with -tT flags!) to your /etc/rc.d/* scripts once you're sure the system is stable" . . . the file to add that line in Salckware is the /etc/rc.d/rc.local ;)B) Bruno

#35 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,788 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 04:21 AM

Ahhh... EXCELLENT info! Thanks, Bruno! It's after 3AM here, so I'll have to wait till tomorrow to tweak this. I did a "$man hdparm" and got some basic info, but those pages you posted are much more informative. It doesn't look too complicated. G'night... B)

#36 OFFLINE   Bruno

Bruno

Le Professeur Pingouin

• Admin Emeritus
  • 37,904 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 04:22 AM

B)  Goodnight Eric !!!B) BrunoPS: Added a "NOTE" . . and corrected the path to the rc.local file ;)

#37 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,788 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 03:15 PM

Hmm... well, here's what's going on now:This is how I'm currently set up...

multcount    = 16 (on) IO_support   =  3 (32-bit w/sync) unmaskirq    =  1 (on) using_dma    =  0 (off) keepsettings =  0 (off) readonly     =  0 (off) readahead    =  8 (on) geometry     = 30401/255/63, sectors = 488395055, start = 0
This is what happens when I try to turn on DMA mode...

setting using_dma to 1 (on) HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted using_dma    =  0 (off)
These are my current hdparm statistics...

Timing cached reads:   4760 MB in  2.00 seconds = 2380.00 MB/secTiming buffered disk reads:   14 MB in  3.00 seconds =   4.67 MB/sec
Buffered dist reads doubled from 2.3 MB/sec to 4.67 MB/sec. I suppose that's an improvement, huh? I'm using UDMA. Is that maybe the reason I can't turn on DMA mode? Everything seems stable enough. I entered that hdparm startup script in the file you mentioned above. It does initialize on reboot, so that's good.On a totally different topic... what's the best way to make Slack power down completely. I read your tip about "shutdown -h now". On my system, it functions fine. Slack unmounts and shuts everything down, but then it displays "Power Down". At which point, I have to manually kill my system with the power button on the box.Off I go...

#38 OFFLINE   Bruno

Bruno

Le Professeur Pingouin

• Admin Emeritus
  • 37,904 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 03:29 PM

Hi EricYep UDMA sounds like the "upgrade" from DMA, so that might indeed be the reason.For the power down: I hate to be boring, but I have to send you again to: Slackware Tips 1 B) :DB) Bruno

#39 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,788 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 03:52 PM

You're not being boring... you're being patient with a student. I have that Tips page printed out and sitting in front of me. I've read it two or three times, but just now realized that I have to make an amendment to rc.modules to get it to work properly. I really should stop trying to tweak my Linux systems in the wee hours of the morning after I've been up all day. I miss a lot. ;)Thanks, Prof... I'll get in there and make that edit right now. B)

#40 OFFLINE   Bruno

Bruno

Le Professeur Pingouin

• Admin Emeritus
  • 37,904 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 03:59 PM

LOL . . . yep the Slackware Tips 1 has 4 sections . . .so actually 4 tips for the price of 1 . . . . LOL . . . How's that for a discount ???  B) Take your time my friend . .  .you will get it down in the end :DB) Bruno

#41 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,788 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 04:01 PM

OK... done. Now, from a learning perspective, what did I actually do? The modprobe command add/removes modules to the kernel, and APM is "Advanced Power Management", so what I did was have modprobe turn on the APM module for the kernel??? Is that about right?

#42 OFFLINE   Bruno

Bruno

Le Professeur Pingouin

• Admin Emeritus
  • 37,904 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 04:03 PM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on Nov 11 2006, 09:01 PM, said:

so what I did was have modprobe turn on the APM module for the kernel??? Is that about right?
Bingo !! . . . You get an A+ !!B) Bruno

#43 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,788 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 04:08 PM

This stuff is getting so it's not nearly as scary as it used to be. B)

#44 OFFLINE   Bruno

Bruno

Le Professeur Pingouin

• Admin Emeritus
  • 37,904 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 04:18 PM

Soon you will be able to do this stuff blindfolded B) :DB) Bruno

#45 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,788 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 04:19 PM

Oh no! Not blindfolded... but with less shaky hands while typing. ;)

#46 OFFLINE   sloppyslacker

sloppyslacker

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:25 AM

Buffered dist reads doubled from 2.3 MB/sec to 4.67 MB/sec. I suppose that's an improvement, huh?
I have no idea what I'm talking about, but that seems kinda slow.  My current specs on an old P4 2.0 GHz system.
root@goober:~# hdparm -tT /dev/hda/dev/hda: Timing cached reads:   856 MB in  2.01 seconds = 425.87 MB/sec Timing buffered disk reads:  174 MB in  3.02 seconds =  57.62 MB/sec
Just seems your system should beat the pants off of mine in every way.  'Course, considering your cached reads, maybe you don't need the higher numbers for buffered reads?   B)

#47 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,788 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 02:46 PM

Yeah, I thought it was a bit slow myself. B)

#48 OFFLINE   Bruno

Bruno

Le Professeur Pingouin

• Admin Emeritus
  • 37,904 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 03:49 PM

I thought it was a typo you made in the numbers you posted . . . .  B) What happens if you take out the lines you added to the rc.local ?B) Bruno

#49 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,788 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 04:08 PM

I'm in Fedora right now, Bruno. Let me reboot and I'll let you know what's up.

#50 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,788 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 04:39 PM

Bruno, this is now...

Timing cached reads:   4916 MB in  2.00 seconds = 2458.00 MB/sec Timing buffered disk reads:   16 MB in  3.40 seconds =   4.71 MB/sec
Before the script it was 2.91 MB/sec. Here's what the settings look like currently...

multcount    = 16 (on) IO_support   =  3 (32-bit w/sync) unmaskirq    =  1 (on) using_dma    =  0 (off) keepsettings =  0 (off) readonly     =  0 (off) readahead    =  8 (on) geometry     = 30401/255/63, sectors = 488395055, start = 0
I wanted to compare in Fedora, but I can't get hdparm to work. It says it's installed, but the terminal won't recognize the "hdparm" command. B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users