FreeBSD 5.1 is out!

SonicDragon

Sonic, You will do us an extended review of the install and first run of FreeBSD will you ? I mean as our BSD expert we do look forward to your input !:lol: Bruno

FreeBSD 5.1 is out and is availible from FreeBSD.org.Enjoy :)The download speeds are still good! I'm over 200 kb/sec. Get them while their hot!
Thanks, SonicDragon...will check it out, though I know absolutely nothing about it. :lol:

At Sesame street they have the cookie-monster, here at the forum Quint is our distro-monster ! :D :lol: :D Bruno

At Sesame street they have the cookie-monster, here at the forum Quint is our distro-monster !  B)  :D B) Bruno
:D B) Will have to read about it first, before d/l; all I know about FreeBSD, is the name. :lol:

QuintIf you know the name, what is stopping you? I get dizzy just watching your version hopping. Come on. Step up to the bat. We know you can do it!

SonicDragon
You will do us an extended review of the install and first run of FreeBSD will you ? I mean as our BSD expert we do look forward to your input !
HA! I am as far away from expert as can be! But, thank you ;)I'm haveing the same problems i was having with 4.8 and 5.0. It still freezes when it looks like it's probing for hardware. I must have unsupported hardware :lol: Add another cd to my stack!I hope you have better luck Quint!

QuintIf you know the name, what is stopping you?  I get dizzy just watching your version hopping.  Come on. Step up to the bat.  We know you can do it!
As long as I don't end up like Casey. :lol: casey_artwork.jpg

You will do us an extended review of the install and first run of FreeBSD will you ? I mean as our BSD expert we do look forward to your input !
HA! I am as far away from expert as can be! But, thank you ;)I'm haveing the same problems i was having with 4.8 and 5.0. It still freezes when it looks like it's probing for hardware. I must have unsupported hardware :( Add another cd to my stack!I hope you have better luck Quint!
Thanks, SonicDragon, but there's still time for you to figure it out, and instruct me; don't have it downloaded yet. :lol:

SonicDragon
there's still time for you to figure it out
I'm going to be sooooooooo busy the next two weeks. I won't be around much. :(I don't think you will need me to instruct you. :lol: There is awsome documentation for FreeBSD.

I'm going to be sooooooooo busy the next two weeks. I won't be around much. :(I don't think you will need me to instruct you. :( There is awsome documentation for FreeBSD.
SonicDragon,If it's Schoolwork you're refering to, by all means that comes first. ;) I'll be the old guinea pig. :( And right you are - the documentation on that site is amazing. :lol:

:lol: I've got a CD with FreeBSD 4.7 so here's some questions:Does it multi boot with different versions of Linux?How many versions of Linux can I fit on a 40GB hard drive?I've got CDs here of Phat Linux, Vector Linux, Peanut Linux and a few more around somewhere, most from magazine cover CDs from last year. I want to try them all but don't really want to mess up my work machines if I stuff something up.

SonicDragon
I've got a CD with FreeBSD 4.7 so here's some questions:Does it multi boot with different versions of Linux?How many versions of Linux can I fit on a 40GB hard drive?I've got CDs here of Phat Linux, Vector Linux, Peanut Linux and a few more around somewhere, most from magazine cover CDs from last year. I want to try them all but don't really want to mess up my work machines if I stuff something up.
Yes, i'm almost positive it boots with linux, but i think there is a specific order in which you have to set it up. I'd definately do a google before trying.How many distros? That depends on the size i suppose. I think most modern distros can do a small install of like 300 to 500 MB (correct me if i'm wrong...sort of an edgucated guess). But, Vector and Peanut are really small right?Sorry i can't be of more help :lol:

If you are planning to multiboot a number of distros then you might consider installing some form of non-Linux bootloader, otherwise you are going to have headaches trying to manage each partition.

:lol: OK, I've found out that Free BSD will multi boot with Linux and will be better if installed first as LILO is a better boot loader.Are there any limits on how many OS's LILO can handle?If I need a third party boot loader, any suggestions for a free one?This is all an experiment, they would have to be very spectacular distros if they were to take me away from SuSE (or Mandrake).

:lol: OK, I've found out that Free BSD will multi boot with Linux and will be better if installed first as LILO is a better boot loader.Are there any limits on how many OS's LILO can handle?If I need a third party boot loader, any suggestions for a free one?This is all an experiment, they would have to be very spectacular distros if they were to take me away from SuSE (or Mandrake).
Here's one that's been recommended many times:XOSL

Just grabbed the two images tonite.... I'll let you guys know what's up with it.... I'm excited... Feels like christmas..... Hopefully it will play nice with my hardware....:blink: Jon

I now understand what SonicDragon means; d/l, burn to CD's, documentation, startup, all proceeded quite nicely...then the hardware probe - first time this PC has ever "hung" on a setup of any kind. :( Guess it's not the correct atmosphere for FreeBSD. :( Read on their site many, many pages, and evrything I have in my computer appears to be supported, but like their website says, may have troubles during the probe, because of the vast number of drivers included. Think I'll let this one ride for a while, until I can sort out beforehand what drivers I need, and pre-select them. Guess "the mighty Casey has struck out"! :(