Photo

Windows 10 Notepad Moving to Microsoft Store With 20H1 Upgrade

Yesterday, 11:37 AM

Posted by Corrine in All Things Windows
In an effort to enhance and speed up changes to Notepad on Windows 10 it will be moved to Microsoft Store.  From Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 18963 | Windows Experience Blog:

Making Notepad store-updatable

Notepad has been a well-loved text editor in Windows for over 30 years. Over the last few releases, we've been making a number of small improvements to Notepad based on your feedback (including expanded line ending support, wrap around search, and indicating when there's unsaved content.) Starting with this build, we're making a change so that future Notepad updates will be automatically available via the store. This will allow us the flexibility to respond to issues and feedback outside the bounds of Windows releases. As always, if you have any feedback for Notepad, we welcome it in the Feedback Hub under Apps > Notepad.

Other changes already made to Notepad include wrap around search, text zoom, search autofill, line numbers when using word wrap. search with Bing, and better UTF-8 support.

48 Views · 0 Replies

Photo

System backup tests

16 Aug 2019

Posted by sunrat in Bruno's All Things Linux
Inspired by a thread on MX forums, I just did a test of several backup programs to test their speed, efficiency, and ease of use. All tests were run from a PartedMagic live USB key and backed up a siduction installation on a 25.9GB partition which had 12.1GB of data.

G4L, default options Lzop compression - took under 2 minutes but image was 16.3GB
fsarchiver, default options gzip standard compression - under 2 minutes, image 5.7GB
fsarchiver, bz2 compression - 20minutes, image 5.3GB
Redo Backup, default (not configurable) - 6 minutes, 6.1GB
Clonezilla, default, gzip - about 3.5 minutes including image verification, 6.1GB

I'm sure changing from default options would make a difference as all but Redo can use different compression.
For ease of use, Redo is the simplest as it has no options. Clonezilla and G4L are both a bit complicated but are quite configurable.
fsarchiver really impressed me though with it's easy to understand GUI while still having options for compression type, splitting, and even allocation of the number of CPU cores. I will be using it for my system backups in future.
Edit - it seems the GUI is called qt-fsarchiver which is currently not in Debian but available from Sourceforge and several distros. The .deb from SF won't install in siduction due to dependencies so I'll have to stick to running it from PartedMagic.

http://www.fsarchiver.org/

Posted Image

69 Views · 2 Replies ( Last reply by sunrat )

Photo

New xfce 4.14 setup

14 Aug 2019

Posted by securitybreach in Bruno's All Things Linux
My buddy created this :hysterical:

Posted Image

145 Views · 1 Replies ( Last reply by V.T. Eric Layton )

Latest Discussions

Site Navigation

Online Users

0 members, 73 visitors and 0 anonymous users

Bing, Google

Portal v1.1.0 by DevFuse | Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS