A few Q's and a Mistake

SonicDragon

SonicDragon

I've decieded to install FreeBSD on my old computer and have been preparing for a while now. I have downloaded kern.flp and mfsroot.flp and made floppies out of them using fdimage. I'm downloading the third FreeBSD disk now.I've been reading through the FreeBSD Handbook/Manuel and it said i should inventory my hardware, IRQ, and IO. I have lost all my info on the computer and do not remeber what's in there at all, so all i'm going on is the info i'm getting the BIOS. I turned the computer on and got into the BIOS, but then the oven timer went off and i had to eat dinner. I came back and my screen was a rainbow of colors instead of the usual blue and grey of my BIOS. I restarted, but the colors were still there, even in Mandrake. What in the world did i do? I hope this isn't permanent!Is there a program for mandrake that will tell me what i have in my system and what the IRQ and the IO things are. BTW, i have absolutly no idea what IRQ or IO mean...i'm very new to *nix. PS, Bruno, don't take offence that i am getting rid of mandrake :blink: This is my test PC, very slow 200MHz, that i don't use that much. Besides, it was an old version of mandrake. It's not that i wasn't happy, i just like to try different/new things :)TIA

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SonicDragon

• Bruno

• GolfProRM

SonicDragonNo offence man, its a free world, the more experiments the better, Glad your playing with your computer ! Distro´s are just too much fun to ignore them !For your hardware info: KDE Control Center ---> information !Also, Mandrake Control Center ----------> hardware !Go for it SonicDragon !That BIOS is a weird thing ain´t it ?? Spooky !!!:blink: Bruno

SonicDragon

Update. All cd's have been burned using the disk at once recording setting. Is that the one i was supposed to use?The rainbow problem is gone. I let it sit for a while and it seems to be ok now :blink: *few*

SonicDragon

Thats not exactly how i burned it, but, i will make another copy just incase (black cd's are cheap).I would love it if you could explain the md5sum :)BTW, it has been stuck on the same screen for 15 minutes now, not appearing to be doing anything. The screen was from the mfsroot disk. Lots of text... and that's it. Is that normal for a 200MHz?TIA

Sonic,This is only when the CD is already burned ! And in LINUX !Put the cd in the cdrom and type:< isoinfo -d -i /dev/cdrom >You will get lots of info, look for the lines:Logical block size is: 2048 Volume size is: 339344Note those numbers down.next command:< dd if=/dev/cdrom bs=2048 count=339344 conv=notrunc,noerror | md5sum > ( type carefully and change the numbers in the numbers you found )This will take a few minutes !At the end you will get:339344+0 records in339344+0 records out563c1bfff307a16d45f5da04011f07b6 - ( <--- this number has to be the same as the md5sum number you will find on the mirror you got your distro from !If it is the CD is 100% O.K.B) Bruno

SonicDragon
I hope you´ll manage that !
I just couldn't be that lucky.Where should i type those commands. I tried everywhere i can think of. The shell, both as my user and root, the run command, and the execure shell command in the currect directory (which was the cdrom window).Sry. B)

SonicDragon

I have 3 options under the 'start'>Terminals:RXvtShellTerminal (super user mode)All these return the same error:Bash: isoinfo: command not foundAnd yes, i am leaving the < and > off B)

SonicWe use the normal shell.You have Mandrake 9.1 ? Haven´t you ?Command not found is impossible !try:< /usr/bin/isoinfo -d -i /dev/cdrom >B) Bruno

SonicDragon

No, i'm not on 9.1 it is older...lemme go check.. oh my, i'm on the stair master program today! The old computer is upstairs! Every 5 minutes, up and down. I'm working up a sweat!BTW, think i found my other error. I downloaded the i386 files instead of the i586???? The i586 are the right ones correct?

SonicDragon

Actually, i just checked the FreeBSD download site. They don't have a i596 option.They have i386, alpha, ia64, pc98, or sparc64. Was i386 right after all?

think i found my other error. I downloaded the i386 files instead of the i586???? The i586 are the right ones correct?
The i386 is for old P1 computers, the i586 and i658 for more recet Pentium and AMD !!If you have not got ¨isoinfo¨ on your linux box, have a look if it is not on the CD´s that came with the distro, and install it !< whereis isoinfo > will tell you if you have got it installed or not !:unsure: Bruno

SonicDragon

I just ried the /usr/bin/isoinfo -d -i /dev/cdrom and got the error message: bash: /usr/bin/isoinfo: no such fire or directory.Well, thanks for all your help, but i need to get to bed early tonight. I have a big day infront of me tomarrow. Talk to you tomarrow.thanks again, you have been so helpful. it's all to often that i get responces saying to go read the manual or to do it your self, or not even try at all. It's so nice to be able to come here and not fear the wrath of others remarks.Thanks!

Guest LilBambi

Sonic Dragon --Actually with freeBSD it is simply x86 ... they don't specify the i386 and i686 like Linux does.I haven't done ISOs for freeBSD so can't help you there. We ordered ours from CheapBytes.com* and then updated to next version over the Internet when we needed to.Hopefully Thunder, Peachy or someone else with experience with ISOs for freeBSD will stop by to help.* CheapBytes.com is the company that LSL.com was bought out by (LSL.com was one of the listed places to get the commercial verisons on freeBSD.org.)

Edited by LilBambi

SonicDragon

i did a whereis on iso info < whereis isoinfo > and and got these results:[whatever it normally says here]$ whereis isoinfoisoinfo:[whatever it normally says here]$I'm assuming that means it didn't find it?I went into the add/remove programs window and searched for isoinfo with disk 2 in and then disk 3. No results.Is there a way to do this with windows?TIA

SonicDragonThis is wierd, first what disrto are you on right now, I know it is mandrake but what version ?Or try rpmfind.net and type in isoinfo, download the package and install it !But do give me the verion number of your Mandrake.B) Bruno

SonicDragon

i did a search at rpmfind and it only came up with mkisofscdrtools-utils-cdrtools-cdrecord-cdrecordthose don't seem like they would do it... but i may be wrong....

SonicdragonIt makes part of those packages, just one of the tools.Go to the MCC, softwaremanagement and type in the searchfied ¨isoinfo¨ and do not search in ¨names¨ but in ¨descriptions¨ or ´Files¨.If you get no result try one of the other names you found there, mkisofs, cdrecord, cdr-tools.Do not download the rpm, it has to be on your disks.B) Bruno