Sasser.A and .B worm removal tool

Peachy

If you haven't patched your system with and you get infected with Sasser worm, which is apparently spreading very rapidly, then you can at least download the sasser worm removal tool. This worm exploits multiple vulnerabilities addressed by this MS04-011 Bulletin. There are reports that some Windows 2000 systems are hosed by the patch. The vulnerability is also known as the SSL exploit, but the patch addresses more than just the SSL vulnerability.

Guest LilBambi

Thanks Peachy ... downloaded this one too. I already have the Symantec removal tool for Sasser as well, available here as well. It covers Sasser and Sasser.B.

FuzzDuckie

Excellent..I have all the tools in my arsenal....I just had to deal with this nasty lil worm yesterday...no idea where it actually came from. I believe some sites have it.I was somewhat lucky in that I was able to do a system restore and that solved MOST of my problems (all tools did not detect it on my system after I did the restore). I ended up finding the avserv2.exe and deleting it from windows and also found a latent avserv file in the registry. Bye bye.worst thing is that my dumb ETrust antivirus does not even HAVE the definition for the Sasser Worm yet...Norton's and MacAfee already did by the end of yesterday. What can I say for a free year of ETrust...grrrr

Guest LilBambi

Well, paint me surprised! Beware the Microsoft removal tool from Microsoft.MicrosoftWatch's Mary Jo Foley: On the Worm Watch: Sasser

Windows users beware: The Sasser worm is spreading. And the patch which Microsoft made available to block the hole in Windows which Sasser is exploiting leaves some systems unbootable. This weekend, Microsoft made available for download a tool designed to remove the Sasser.A or .B worms from systems where the aforementioned patch has not yet been applied. What a mess.
I think I'll stick to the Symantec patch if needed for a client.