Update Released for Java Zero-Day Exploit!

Corrine

Once again there are reports of a Java zero-day vulnerability being actively exploited in the wild. All versions of Java are impacted, including the most recent release, JRE 7, Update 10.

With any version of Java installed on your computer, visiting a malicious link can result in a serious malware infection. Significantly, the exploit is not operating system and, although currently targeting Windows systems, can also run the same code on Mac OS X or Linux.

Recommendations in my blog post at Java Zero-Day (Again), Time To Disable/Remove Java

• Like 1

I enable then update. I disable, shortly after the update is discovered as ineffective. Over and over and over.

Fortunately, I only have it installed on one computer because one website I visit needs it. <sigh>

I forgot to say thanks, Corrine for letting us know it is disable time again.

Edited by zlim

V.T. Eric Layton

I'm sure this is a serious threat to MS Windows, and possibly MacOS systems, but I'm not seeing any documentation anywhere to show that this exploit can affect Linux systems.

V.T. Eric Layton

You're welcome, Liz.

Eric, HD Moore is quoted at Threat Post as saying the exact code can be run on all three operating systems, even though it is currently targeting just Windows: Nasty New Java Zero Day Found; Exploit Kits Already Have It | threatpost

Yes, I saw that quote, Corrine, but what I'm saying is that the ability to run a script outside of the Java sandbox within a Linux system is not going to be able to do much. It will not be able to obtain administrator rights to the OS. The most it could do is maybe... maybe corrupt some user's home directory; and even that is doubtful.

But anyway... I'll definitely be checking on this in my Win XP and 7 installations later this weekend. Thanks, as always, for the prompt alerts regarding all these baddies out there. :yes:

You're welcome, Temmu. More and more are joining on the bandwagon to recommend disabling or uninstalling Java, including the Department of Homeland Security and US-CERT.

Apple has disabled Java in OS X Snow Leopard and newer via an updated malware definition list for their XProtect pseudo-antivirus.

Mozilla blacklisted the Java plug-in by adding it to the "Click-to-Play" function. This means that if you receive a prompt at a website you are visiting that Java is needed, if you have any doubts, get out of there! :)

More:

Apple and Mozilla – ‘Just say no to Java’ | Naked Security

Protecting Users Against Java Vulnerability | Mozilla Security Blog

Guest LilBambi

Yes, I think it's great that Mozilla did that in Firefox. It is very similar to what Google has done in Chrome. The difference from what they were both doing before is that, now, Mozilla has blacklisted the current version of Java as well due to the security risk. Definitely gutsy move and I applaud them for that.

I have updated by blog posting about this Java issue. Thanks Corrine!!! :thumbsup: