Photo

Valve dropping Linux ?

25 Jun 2019

Posted by crp in Bruno's All Things Linux
To be more specific, Steam support for Ubuntu will be stopped?

https://mindframemed...ubuntu-00406044

305 Views · 4 Replies ( Last reply by securitybreach )

Photo

My Journey to Debian Stable

25 Jun 2019

Posted by raymac46 in Bruno's All Things Linux
I recently upgraded my Thinkpad T430 to Debian Buster - so for a while I'll be running Debian Testing. However in a couple of weeks Buster will become Debian Stable, and I'm OK with that.
Conventional Internet thought is that Stable is great for servers, but a desktop user would be better off with Testing or even Unstable. I find that Stable makes the most sense for me for a few reasons:
  • I have old hardware (My Thinkpad is from 2013) and I don't need bleeding edge kernels or graphics stacks.

• Both Debian Testing and Unstable have strange quirks that I find unsuitable. Testing can go months without significant updates during the hard freeze before it becomes the new stable. Unstable has tons of updates and once in a while is unsafe to update. Stable is more - well, stable.

• I tend to go with the defaults - GNOME with a few tweaks - so I don't care if I'm running an old desktop environment.

• I tend to enable backports so I will get software updates if needed.

• Debian Stable gives me the necessary security updates faster than Testing when it is frozen.

• When I take my Thinkpad on holiday, I don't always have the fastest connection so I don't want to download massive updates.

• Mostly I'm an old school Linux guy. If it ain't broke...
I can see the advantages of a real rolling release distro but in my view that is not Debian. Arch fits the pattern much better. The reason Debian has the Testing and Unstable branches is to make the next Stable release.
Your mileage may vary, but Debian Stable works best for me.

133 Views · 1 Replies ( Last reply by securitybreach )

Photo

Debian Buster

22 Jun 2019

Posted by raymac46 in Bruno's All Things Linux
It looks like Debian Buster will be released July 9. I decided to get a couple of weeks with the RC before the final comes out.
I was able to upgrade my Thinkpad install by editing my sources.list to Buster from Stretch. Then I did an apt update, apt upgrade and apt dist-upgrade.
It looks like everything went OK and I am posting from it now on the Thinkpad.

820 Views · 7 Replies ( Last reply by raymac46 )

Latest Discussions

Site Navigation

Online Users

1 members, 73 visitors and 0 anonymous users

Bing, Google, sunrat

Portal v1.1.0 by DevFuse | Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS