Redhat

mike180

Red Hat Network has determined that the following advisory is applicable toone or more of the systems you have registered:Complete information about this errata can be found at the following location: https://rhn.redhat.com/network/errata/errat...ls.pxt?eid=1700Security Advisory - RHSA-2003:187-25------------------------------------------------------------------------------Summary:Updated 2.4 kernel fixes vulnerabilities and driver bugsUpdated kernel packages are now available that contain fixes for securityvulnerabilities as well as fixes for bugs in the audigy, cmd640 IDE, and USBdrivers.Description:The Linux kernel handles the basic functions of the operating system.Several security issues have been found that affect the Linux kernel:Al Viro found a security issue in the tty layer whereby any user couldcause a kernel oops. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project(cve.mitre.org) has assigned the name CAN-2002-0247 to this issue.Andrea Arcangeli found an issue in the low-level mxcsr code in which amalformed address would leave garbage in cpu state registers. The CommonVulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned the nameCAN-2003-0248 to this issue.The TCP/IP fragment reassembly handling allows remote attackers to causea denial of service (CPU consumption) via packets that cause a large numberof hash table collisions, a vulnerability similar to CAN-2003-0244. TheCommon Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has assignedthe name CAN-2003-0364 to this issue.It is recommended that users upgrade to these erratum kernels, whichcontain patches to correct these vulnerabilities. In addition, thesekernels fix a number of bugs:Driver bugs fixes are included for the Silicon Image IDE driver, the USBohci driver, the Audigy driver, and the driver for the Olympus Camediadigital camera.A fix written by Andrew Morton is included to address a system stall causedby file I/O in rare cases.An updated fix corrects some bugs in the ptrace security fix for Red HatLinux 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, and 8.0. Note that these bugs were functionalitylimitations, not additional security vulnerabilities.Updated fixes for the ioperm security issue are also included.A potential data corruption scenario has been identified. Thisscenario can occur under heavy, complex I/O loads. The scenarioonly occurs while performing memory mapped file I/O, where thefile is simultaneously unlinked and the corresponding file blocksreallocated. Furthermore, the memory mapped writes must be to apartial page at the end of a file on an ext3 file system. As such,Red Hat considers this an unlikely scenario.Red Hat Linux kernel erratum RHSA-2003:172 exposed a bug in the quotapackages for Red Hat Linux 7.1, 7.2 and 7.3; a fixed quota package is alsoincluded in this erratum.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Taking Action-------------You may address the issues outlined in this advisory in two ways: - select your server name by clicking on its name from the list available at the following location, and then schedule an errata update for it: https://rhn.redhat.com/network/systemlist/s...system_list.pxt - run the Update Agent on each affected server.

Thanks for the info Mike, I don´t run RedHat myself but there are some that do. Always good to be informed on these issues.:) Bruno

Man be carefull with the kernal upgrade. Be prepaired to reinstall your NVIDIA drivers and run fsck manually. I quit fsck at 300 files because from about 150 everything was clean.I did it for security reasons and I do not regret it! :D :D :D mike180

Hey Twisted,Yes, that was the only way I knew how. But it would probally be better to download and install out of X. I'm installing (re) my NVIDIA drivers.

The Nvidia drivers need a special kernel version, or a kernel recompile, look here how it is done in Mandrake, I hope the new kernel you downloaded is ready/suited to be replaced by the Nvidia kernel ;)I did hold my hart as I saw your post the first time, was glad you managed to do it after all, but now I´m seeing the @#$% . . . I think you should have a look if you can replace the new kernel by the Nvidia kernel and wait till Nvidia brings an update of their kernel. Or go for the recompile of the kernel you have now ! :D:D Bruno

You know what it is Mike; RedHat comes with a new version every 6 month, so every six month a new kernel will be in your distro from the start, I do not really see any good in upgrading your kernel in between ( unless you´re a real hardcore tweaker and are prepared for some ¨extra¨ work . . ). I did it once, long ago, took me two days to get the new kernel to be accepted without the ¨panic¨ in the first place and adapted to my wishes/needs it in the second place. Since that day I´m the lazy kind of guy and wait till the new Boxed CD´s are delivered at my door. I do like tweaking and fiddling my system . . . . but there are limits to the fun :D:D Bruno

Bruno,et al:My next step is to recompile the NVIDIA kernal as Bruno said. I'll let everyone know in a couple of hours. But the Redhat kernal will run 2D just fine so don't give up.Oh, Bruno. there is no longer a /etc/X11/XF86Config or -4 file left to edit.Looking for any XF86Config file now.

Mike do a :updatedb ( as root and wait for the prompt to come back ) andlocate XF86ConfigSure there is one !:D Bruno

Well it was just me and my bad hands. Typing is not my forte'.WARNING: If you want Glide3 or any 3D in Redhat do not NOT install the new Kernal with a NVIDIA board. They are not compatible!With that said. I am going to try one more time? :D :D

WARNING:  If you want Glide3 or any 3D in Redhat do not NOT install the new Kernal with a NVIDIA board.  They are not compatible!
Well, Mike, that was exactly what I was afraid of . . . . . . . . can´t you just go back to the old kernel ( hope you did not delete that one ) and wait till the new one is suited for Nvidia ?:D Bruno

The NVIDIA installer cannot find the kernal path or source, so the new drivers are not installed. That is why changing the XF86Config does not work. Does anyone know how to instruct the installer to the right path? I,m sure it would be entered after: sh NVIDIA-linux-x86-1.0-4363.run. But I don't know the path myself.mike180 :ph34r:Bruno,I did keep the old kernal but am trying all avenues first. Never say die! :D

My SuSe works, my Mandrakes works and my Redhat Su*ks. Big time. Now is it because Redhat is not as polished as the others, or is it because of the kernal upgrade. IMO it is both.But, I got ahead of myself. The burn job of the offending software was not the best in the world and I knew it and installed anyway. That was my fault and this time I will burn the disk myself. Never accept shoddy work from someone else.The next time I post; will be from my Redhat install, burned by my burner and the fault can only be mine and Redhat's with no kernal upgrade.I shall find if it is a worthy system. B) ;) ;) .mike180

I noticed upgrading RH isn't the world's smoothest transition. Sounds like Mandrake is a piece of cake to upgrade. I hope Debian is easy to upgrade cause that is where I am moving too, as soon as I make it to my friends house and get the CD. I like RH 9.0 but it really is just too unstable and I'm not going back to 8.0 unless Debian will not install for what ever reason.

So, Mike180, I decided to see if I could help so I played around with my RH9 install (and if I toasted X I needed to do a clean install anyway as I need to compile Apache with a clean deck!).I remember upgrading my kernel from 2.4.20-8 to 2.4.20-9 after the NVIDIA drivers were installed and the new kernel would not go into X. Never thought to recompile the driver so I reinstalled and then upgraded the kernel and then installed NVIDIA drivers. Worked. Then I decided to upgrade this working kernel to 2.4.20-18.9 and can't get X to run nor the NVIDIA drivers to install.So, clean install again last night. Upgraded kernel to 2.4.20-18.9 right away, but can't install NVIDIA drivers. Booted back to 2.4.20-8 and NVIDIA drivers work. It looks like the NVIDIA drivers won't work with kernels newer than 2.4.20-9. There was a 2.4.20-13 in mid-May but I don't know if they'd work because Redhat no longer offers kernel updates earlier than the current 2.4.20-18.9 :) .I tried running the install script with the --kernel-include-path option but it says it can't find the nvidia.o module. You also have to install the latest source headers and that's not too clear with RH. I had to do a lot of Googling to find the answers. B)

Well I'm back with a very unstable Redhat install. Little things keep on crashing. Really wierd distro! :o :blink: I might have to install the new Kernal just to stablize(sp?) the OS? :o :( Maybe the next Nvidia update will work or Redhat will figure something out to make Glide work. Sure is a bummer having GeForce 4 cards with no Glx, it seems as though the screen is slow and not as sharp. Also have to move the screen to the right every time I boot into Redhat, or leave as is and just miss some of the date and time and right side scroll, glad the wheel mouse works. :D :lol: Mike180Downloaded FreeBSD and am going to burn and try that out, next. :blink: Just love doing this. Learning more and more.

So sorry to hear that Mike !Did you do a clean install ? Format the whole disk ( The Linux partitions of course ), including your /home directory ? There are times an install will just not ¨stick¨, simply doing a new one might help in some cases . . . 3rd party drivers are always low to arrive, not only for nvidia but all kind of hardware. ( also one of the reasons I wait with kernel upgrades as I wrote you before . . ) Hope yu will find a way out of this mess.:o Bruno

Well,I've decidely come to the conclusion that Red Hat 9 does not a good Linux desktop OS make. It's strength as a server is quite obvious for it seems to be well-behaved and easily configurable in that regard. Plus, there seems to be a lot of books, online support and history in using it as a server. Which is fine because that's what I'm using it for at work. But, oh, for a great desktop experience go for SuSE or Mandrake!

Low level format and all. Took 4 times to get the install to take. When ahead and got the Kernal upgrade again, just to stabelize(sp?) it :lol: :blink: :o . Seems to work better now. We'll see :blink: .

PeachyRedHat 8.0 is a great desktop - didn't have problems with that version, but 9.0 is plagued. Maybe the updates that came out after 9.0 was realeased could help. I have not done any updates to my RH 9.0, but I am hoping to do Knoppix here shortly to see how that goes.

I'm running off my redhat with the new kernal upgrade on my boy's system in Tulsa Okla and everthing is great.120Miles(travel) and ICS took 24 hrs(to get right); but is verywell worth it.The new Kernal upgrade without GLx is satisfying(sp?) and very stable. Slowes on a 480Celeron(OCed) with 384Mbs SDRam, occasionally. Then goes right on. :) :blink: Gaining respect for it; but, it sure make you work to get what you want.mike180PS. Making my boy's Win98SE work with linux was the worst part. that and SyGate; came with the NetGear NIC's and cables and switch. THAT IS A NO NO.

That is a geat Job you did Mike !!! How did you do it ? Sure your boy will be proud of you !! :( Is this the first time he will be running RedHat ??What will you do with your own box now, have the kernel upgrade too or return to the old one ?Let us know Mike. And your boy, does he visit the forum ??:( Bruno

Bruno,I did not make myself clear. I brought my computer(Redhat 9.0 and Win2kPro) and NetGears Ethernet Network Starters kit(New) and Networked his Win98 machine with my RH & W2K machine. Making his the server and both my systems the client. So whatever I boot into connects automatically. Browse files folders and www with firewall (zonealarm) on his win98 machine. :( :( mike180

Well I can see why you´re excited Mike ! That is quiet a setup you put together there . . . . anyway I know now where I can send people with network problems . . . all their questions will be coming your way Mike, prepare yourself for some extra work :( :( ! :( Bruno

Bruno,Gee. Thanks. It takes: minutes; hours; days; working, to get it right. At home I have a smart router. The NetGear is just a switch. First make sure you can connect to the internet with the primary computer. Then install the second nic card and config as 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0 on the client computer it DHCP. ALWAYS. Meaning AFTER INSTALL AND LOADING DRIVERS set it up as client and DHCP. This is only with Windows as HOST and Linux as client. The windows machine should have ICS installed 98se through XP or win2k. THAT'S ALL FOLKS. :( :( :(