Old stereo equipment

Webb

This isn't really computer hardware but it's hardware. The 20-somethings won't know what I'm talking about.

I have an old Technics AV controller and stereo receiver (SA-GX505) and compatible DVD player (what a behemoth. It must weigh 20 lbs) and dual cassette recorder/player (see what I said about 20-somethings?).

Anyway, this thing has has one less input jack than I have devices and I want to know if it's OK to piggyback 2 devices into one RCA jack - specifically (I told you I was old) my VCR audio output and and my cable TV HD box audio output. There is no reason that these devices would ever be on simultaneously (unless I forget to turn one off) and I could piggyback them into one input using a series of splitters that I haven't thought out yet.

Would this work? Would it cause immediate and irreparable harm if I accidentally forgot to turn off one of the devices and they both input simultaneously? Is there any way to get the receiver's PHONO jacks (pre-amped) to accept anything other than a PHONO input?

Your splitter idea might work, but would not be ideal for either device. Outputs don't like to drive outputs.

Receivers of that era often had line-level tape monitor inputs -- that could be used as an extra input. Usually labeled 'Tape2' or similar.

V.T. Eric Layton

Jim, this is most definitely possible. I do this on my own H.H. Scott (receiver of the year - 1983) tuner/amp.

What you need to do, though, is not use plain Y RCA splitters. You'll need to get yourself (I'm sure they're still available somewhere) an switch box. Mine is an old Fisher Studio Standard one from the late 70s, I think. It has three R-L RCA inputs and one R-L RCA output. This allows me to attach three more devices to the TAPE 1 input on my amp. I just switch from one to the other via the rotary switch on the box.

The reason you need to do this is because just using a standard Y splitter will mis-load the impedance of the amp's inputs when more than one device are Y'd into the inputs. The switch mentioned above resolves that issue.

By the way, if you have the skills, you can easily make a switch box. It's just the RCA jacks and a rotary switch that is wired internally using shielded cable.

There are bunches of these Audio RCA switch boxes available on eBay and other places...

sw4_ang_4.jpg

Hope that helped a bit...

Thanks, that helped. I know what not to do.

This all came about because I got a HD box and all of my audio inputs are occupied. I don't know how long it's been since I have used the VCR, let alone run it through the amp so for now I'll just replace the VCR with the HD box and put the switch on my "things to do someday" list.

• Like 1