ipconfig error

dka

I really don't know what happened but my computer was working fine then at some point I started getting an error when I checked the ipconfig. So from the DOS promtp, when I type ipconfig, I get the following error:Windows IP ConfigurationAn Internal error occured: The request is not supported.Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services for further help.Additional information: Unable to query host name.Please let me know if you can help me.

Hmm. What version of Microsoft are you using? XP? 2000? Dos??? You are connecting to the Internet ok? A few more details might help us with this one.

I am using Windows XP, DOS version 5.1. I can't connect to the internet and I used to have Linksys wireless router but disconnected it after this problem occured. Even with that I can't still connect.

I would put your XP disk in and run a repair to see if there are any corrupted files first. It might take a while to figure out what is wrong. Have you checked to make sure yoru network card is seated properly as well? I would try the repair first though.

Well, the card is working fine. The problem here is that I do not have the windows XP repair disk. Do you know if I can download it from somewhere? I have another computer I can use.

You probably are better of connecting the computer to the Router.You have better chance to solve Network problem using a Router with DHCP then been connect directly to the Internet.There is thing that you can do before running repair.Go over you Network setting slowly and make sure that every thing is correct.Log to this page it has a lot of links to instructions to Windows Network Settings, and Sharing.Link to: Windows Network - Installing & Sharing. :whistling:

Check the Settings > Network Connections folder off the Start Menu and see if you still have a network interface icon. See if it's disabled or showing that it's unplugged. My first guess is that you have a hardware problem either with the NIC, the cable, or the driver has been trashed. If the first two check out, reinstall the driver. You might want to take a look at the back of the computer to see if you have any activity lights blinking.

I've tried all the suggested tests without a result. In addition, I remember that the NIC card was built into the main board. At this point I don't know what to do. I am thinking about reinstalling the OS. Any other suggestion?

Nic cards don't last for ever. Neither are they expensive. That was the first thing to go on one of my motherboards. For less than $20 you can get a NIC card and give that a try. My guess is that is probably the cause anyway.

I did a repair Install and guess what? It did not work. At this point, I don't know what to do. I may have to call windows support or take it to a professional. Any other ideas?

Well, your options are getting less and less.Try calling MS. That is what the error msg said and it may be the quickest solution, and the cheapest.If you can backup your data and etc, try a clean install. Wipe the hd and start over. This may be quicker than taking it to a shop which may do the same thing anyways. It will also be less espensive than a shop but you will be busy for a while.If the pc is reasonable current call/email the vendor. This may be a slower option but still not expensive.Lastly, take it to a pro/shop. Plan on them wiping the hd.Keep us informed of your progress. Both good and bad.

• 10 months later...
Computer HandyMan
Lastly, take it to a pro/shop. Plan on them wiping the hd.Keep us informed of your progress. Both good and bad.
Here's a minor pro/shop perspective...I just managed to fix this identical problem on a clients computer. What is causing it is the TCPIP.SYS file in C:\windows\system32\drivers is a fake that is nailed into place by some jiggering of the FAT database or something in the NTFS low level format. This forum and others helped me get past the blind alleys, so I'm returning the favor.To fix the problem, you have to replace TCPIP.SYS with a good copy. Reinstalling Windows will not allow you to replace it. Starting in Safe Mode Command Prompt won't give you the ability to rename or delete TCPIP.SYS. Starting Windows from the CD and using the Repair Console will also fail unless you follow this set of steps. 1. Get a copy of TCPIP.SYS by searching "TCPIP.SYS" on your machine, looking in hidden files and folders. You'll get a bunch of hits. Right click the files and check the preferences to get the most recent version that has Revision data from Microsoft. The one in C:\windows\system32\drivers is not gonna have any file data associated with it, even though it is exactly the same size as the good file.2. Put the copy of TCPIP.SYS on the root of your C: drive. I had a problem when I made a folder for it, so I recommend just copying it directly to root.3. Restart your computer with a Windows XP CD (WIN2000 would also work, I think) and select the Repair console function. Log in as Administrator (better know your administrator password!).4.Navigate to C:\windows\system32\drivers. You will be able to see the TCPIP.SYS file there is you type in DIR, but you won't be able to delete or rename it.5. Type in "CHKDSK /P". This runs a disk check on your hard drive and fixes errors whether the System thinks you need it or not.6. Type "del TCPIP.SYS" and press Return.7. Type in "CHKDSK /P" and run the disk check again (yes, I tried to do do this without this step the first time and it didn't work).8. Type in "copy C:\TCPIP.SYS". You should get a message that this completed correctly.9. Type in "CHKDSK /P" one last time just to be sure (I didn't confirm that this was required, but why waste all the previous effort?)10. Type in "Exit" and let the computer restart. Your internet access should be restored, the Windows Firewall will work, and ipconfig should be able to config IP.Hope this helps. I spent two days chasing down this rotten bastich myself. Still don't know what caused it, since it was a client's computer, but I've seen it once or twice in the last three years. I'm thrilled that I finally found out how to fix it without reformatting the computer.

Thanks for this fix, I tried quite a few other things to fix this problem, and your solution was the only one that worked. FYI...I believe the cause of this was a virus, a scan previous to fixing this had found the sober.q virus on this system.

Thanks for this fix, I tried quite a few other things to fix this problem, and your solution was the only one that worked. FYI...I believe the cause of this was a virus, a scan previous to fixing this had found the sober.q virus on this system.
Yes, it is the sober virus that can do this. Ive already cleaned 6 clients machines today that all had this same problem and they ALL had the sober virus.HUGE thatnks to Computer Handyman...youve made my job today much easier!!!

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

just wanted to say to computer handyman, thank you very much, i was able to fix my computer using your instructions, you have completely saved me as I am up against a big deadline. I know hardly anything about fixing computers, but followed your instructions and it worked!

just wanted to say to computer handyman, thank you very much, i was able to fix my computer using your instructions, you have completely saved me as I am up against a big deadline. I know hardly anything about fixing computers, but followed your instructions and it worked!
I suppose that this an advantage to an OS lasting for like, for ever :-D