How do I play cd's in Slack?

SonicDragon

I can't get a (music) cd to play in Linux :devil: When i try to play a cd in KsCD it says:

CD-ROM read or access error (or no audio disc in drive).Please make sure you have access permissions to:/dev/cdrom
And when i try in XMMS, nothing happens. There is a cd in the drive, and KsCD won't launch as root via the command line. It gives me this error when i try:
sh: line 1: iceauth: command not foundICE Connection rejected!DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failedDCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failedDCOPServer self-test failed.ICE Connection rejected!sh: line 1: iceauth: command not foundkdeinit: DCOPServer could not be started, aborting.ERROR: KUniqueApplication: Can't setup DCOP communication.
I've also tried different cd's. Is there a way to give users permission to acess the /dev/cdrom? If i try to go there via konqueror, it says i don't have permission.What's wrong?

Hi Sonic I suppose we´re talking Slackware 9.1 here . . . . ? Did you mount the CD before trying to get sound out of it . . . because, as far as I know, Slack does not automount your CD-ROM drive . . . :w00t: :devil: Bruno

PART 2Sorry Sonic . . . just booted my Slack to check . . . . . it seems that KsCD does the mounting for you . . . There might be another reason though: How do you boot your Slack ? And does your /etc/lilo.conf ( if you´re using lilo ) have the line: append="hdd=ide-scsi"?? My CD plays with no problems . . . :devil: BrunoPS: For data CD´s it´s different, then you have to mount it . . . . . you can also do this the GUI way: create an icon on your desktop ( rightclick > create cdrom device ) and rightclick it and choose mount . . . don´t forget you have to un-mount it before you can get the CD out of the player !!

Edited by Bruno

PART 3Sonic . . . Just remembered another thing: After my install of Slackware my /etc/modules.conf was empty . . . and I had no sound at all ( mixers were empty too ) . . . . adding the lines I have in my Mandrake modules.conf for sound, and rebooting, as by magic the sound problem was gone and the mixers showed up normal.So do check your /etc/modules.conf if it has the two lines for loading and aliassing the sound modules . . . :devil: Bruno

Yes, i boot via Lilo.My lilo.conf doesn't have that line though. Should i add it? Does it matter where in the file i add it?
Sonic . . . PART 4 . . . :devil:
image=/boot/slack/vmlinuz-ide-2.4.22. . . . . label="Slackware". . . . . root=/dev/hda5. . . . . append="hdd=ide-scsi" <--------------- !!. . . . . vga=788. . . . . read-only
:w00t: Bruno

I added the line and rebooted and i'm still getting the same error.

PART 3Sonic . . . Just remembered another thing: After my install of Slackware my /etc/modules.conf was empty . . . and I had no sound at all ( mixers were empty too ) . . . . adding the lines I have in my Mandrake modules.conf for sound, and rebooting, as by magic the sound problem was gone and the mixers showed up normal.So do check your /etc/modules.conf if it has the two lines for loading and aliassing the sound modules . . .
The rest of my sound works, just not my cd's :(i tried <mount /dev/cdrom> and them tried playing again and still had no sound.

Guest LilBambi

If I remember correctly, .cda disks and I think DVDs as well ... are not mountable -- they don't need or allow user mounting. The system will generally just play these automatically.Might want to check your lilo again .. every line is the same as Brunos (less the ??Sounds like there may be a syntax error?? :devil: Or maybe scsi emulation may not be available for that drive?? How old is the drive, what make, model, CD only or CDRW, etc.

SonicDragon,Just tried in XMMS...fine; the only difference I have is:< append="hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi" >I would believe you have it properly configured, but sometimes I put the CD in the wrong drive, and "go nuts" trying to discern why it plays one day, and not the next. :devil:

Might want to check your lilo again .. every line is the same as Brunos (less the <---------- !!)  ??
Everything except the vga line. My graphics are working fine with out that.
How old is the drive, what make, model, CD only or CDRW, etc.
I think it's 2 maybe 3 years old. It's DVD/CD and i don't know the make or model. It came with the computer when i got it.
Just tried in XMMS...fine; the only difference I have is:< append="hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi" >
Ok i'll try that.
I would believe you have it properly configured, but sometimes I put the CD in the wrong drive, and "go nuts" trying to discern why it plays one day, and not the next. 
LOL, i've done that too. This time it's in the right one though ;)Thanks everyone :devil:

Sonic . . a few more questions . . . After changing /etc/lilo.conf . . ( as root ) did you write the new lilo to the MBR ?# /sbin/liloAnd reboot . . . If you have sound in xmms I suppose your /etc/modules.conf is okay . . . :devil: Bruno

Hey ho ho . . stop . . we´re not giving up this quick . . . . let me think, I´ll be back !
Don't worry. We have other cd players in the house. Plus, i've got internet radio to keep me happy B)

Sonic . . . a few questions again . . :Do you have one or two CD-ROM players ( or DVD ) in that computer ? Are they ( is it ) connected with a little thin cable to the soundcard/motherboard ? What happens if you plug in a headphone in the player itself ?B) Bruno

Hi guys.I have been searching for more info on the error messages and the best I can come up with is some sort of strange permission problem.Sonic, could you try LOGIN as root and then using both Kscd and Grip (if you have it installed). If they don't work then run them from console (as before) and check the error messages.Good luck.

I'm still wondering about that very first error message about incorrect permissions. What are the permissions set to on what /dev/cdrom is pointing to (since it's a symlink)? Do:ls -l /dev/cdromto find out what it's pointing to then do it again:Example (on my system):

> ls -l /dev/cdromlrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2003-10-30 23:15 /dev/cdrom -> sr0> ls -l /dev/sr0brw------- 1 jay disk 11, 0 2003-09-23 13:59 /dev/sr0

I'm not suggesting you need my permission settings just showing you how I'd like to see them to help. B)

Jason,What I think: this is because it was a music CD . . you can´t open a music CD . . only data CD´s can be mounted and opened.My Slack behaves the same and does give sound with CD´s . . . . I still want my 3 questions answered:

Do you have one or two CD-ROM players ( or DVD ) in that computer ?Are they ( is it ) connected with a little thin cable to the soundcard/motherboard ?What happens if you plug in a headphone in the player itself ?
B) Bruno

l I'm still wondering about that very first error message about incorrect permissions. What are the permissions set to on what /dev/cdrom is pointing to (since it's a symlink)? Do:ls -l /dev/cdrom
Here's what i got. I have no idea what it means though...lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Oct 26 14:46 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdcThen i did < ls -l /dev/hdc > and got:brw-rw---- 1 root disk 22, 0 Jun 9 2002 /dev/hdc
Do you have one or two CD-ROM players ( or DVD ) in that computer ?Are they ( is it ) connected with a little thin cable to the soundcard/motherboard ?What happens if you plug in a headphone in the player itself ?
It has two players. One CD/DVD the other a CD Burner.I don't know how it's connected >_< Sorry. There is no place to plug headphones in on either of them. I'm going to go log out and try as root.

Sonic . . I see progress there . . . >_<

I don't know how it's connected  Sorry.
Open your box and have a look . . . is there next to the power cable another one ?;) Bruno

Ah Quint, a man of few words today I see. :D Great pictures as usual. The wire "thingy" that connects from the CD audio to the motherboard or sound card - well done.

That´s it Quint ! This way he can´t miss it ! Thanks !Sonic: from left to right on the back of the cd player there: first space is empty, second has 2 little pins, third has 4 little pins -> THAT´s IT ! So check if there is a cable from there to your mobo or soundcard . . . . ( Windows plays CD´s without the cable, Linux does not . . . :ph34r: ):D Bruno

Somehow I don't think the initial problem is the cable (though that may be a problem later. I'm bothered by the initial error messages and think the solution lies in there. The permissions you spit out look fine, though. Try this, though:In konsole or xterm (not a virtual terminal), try entering *before* changing to root:xhost +localhostThen change to root:suThen run kscd from the xterm:kscdLet me know if you get the same error messages or different ones, or, it actually works. B) Note you will have to press play on kscd; I don't think it plays CDs automatically.One other question: Is the music CD that you're playing a regular audio CD or does it have mp3s on it? Reason I ask is that a CD with mp3s would be mounted as a filesystem, an audio CD wouldn't.

Good questions Jason . . let´s keep Sonic on the job . . . he wanted to abandon after the first try already . . . B) :DB) Bruno

Ok, i looked in the case. Their are three cables comming out. There is one to the left of the biggest one that looks like the one in the picture. Sorry i don't know the names of any of this stuff B)

In konsole or xterm (not a virtual terminal), try entering *before* changing to root:xhost +localhostThen change to root:suThen run kscd from the xterm:kscd
Is that just the normal konsole... icon looks like a box with a shell over it? (Sorry, i'm still really a newbi at this B))If it is, than i did that, and go this:
localhost being added to access control list
and then:
sh: line 1: iceauth: command not foundICE Connection rejected!DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failedICE Connection rejected!DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failedDCOPServer self-test failed.sh: line 1: iceauth: command not foundkdeinit: DCOPServer could not be started, aborting.ERROR: KUniqueApplication: Can't setup DCOP communication.
One other question: Is the music CD that you're playing a regular audio CD or does it have mp3s on it? Reason I ask is that a CD with mp3s would be mounted as a filesystem, an audio CD wouldn't.
No, it's just a normal cd. Thanks again.

Ok, i looked in the case. Their are three cables comming out. There is one to the left of the biggest one that looks like the one in the picture. Sorry i don't know the names of any of this stuff  :P
That's the audio cable, follow it to where it goes. It should connect to either a sound card (which plugs into one of several slots and probably has SB or Creative written on it) or into the motherboard (most computers have onboard sound chipsets nowadays).Otherwise you're getting the same errors as before. DCOP is what KDE uses to communicate between programs and the fact that is won't run sounds very bad and would probably cause problems elsewhere, too. We'll keep looking. Going to check Slackware sites or forums to see if anybody else has heard of this. At least I can answer this question:
Is that just the normal konsole... icon looks like a box with a shell over it? (Sorry, i'm still really a newbi at this
Yes. There are different shell/terminal programs, konsole, xterm, eterm. The only difference between them is backgrounds, scrolling, transparency, fonts and such.What version of Slack are you using?And I should've asked before, but where did you put the CD in - the DVD player or the CD-ROM drive? Both can play CDs but both may not be setup with a default setup of Slack. Did you try putting it in the other drive to see if you get the same error? Try it if you haven't. Also, try other cd player programs if you have them installed. As root, run this command to see which other cd players might be there:rpm -qa | grep xmcd grip cdplay workbone cdconsole playcdAny values returned indicate that program is installed. Try it by entering the name (without the version number). Some work in the console (not graphical) which might be good to find out if something is wrong in the graphics area. Don't need to try them all but try one that inside konsole and one that is graphical. The results may help us figure out what is going on.