Upgraded Bios & Everything Went South

mhbell

{SOLVED}

Upgraded Bios & Everything Went South

First My Computer and OS spec's

Asus Prime B450M-A/CSM Mother Board with AMD Ryzen 3 2200G onboard Graphics. 16 GB Ram Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa Cinnamon DE.

With all of the problems I've been having with Graphics I found that Asus released a Newer Bios last month. I had been using 0409 bios firmware and the 4.18 kernel for linux mint. After the newer Bios Firmware was installed everything was to big on the screen and unreadable. I went to the 5.06 Kernel and the graphics improved, but still a few problems with rendering and acceleration. So remembering about a few cautions when I was trying to solve a problem in Debian it was suggested that I use the 4.19.28 kernel for my hardware. So using UkUU again I installed that Kernel and all seems to be working again as it should if I don't get a freeze up. Cinnamon requires the proper drivers for rendering graphics and acceleration to work properly. Now to reinstall Debian Cinnamon and work on it to get it working properly

Mel

Edited by mhbell

V.T. Eric Layton

Congratulations. You've ALMOST made a brick.

RULE #1 - Do NOT EVER upgrade BIOS.

It's rarely necessary and it's problematic, as you've found out. In all the years I've been building systems and using them, I've NEVER attempted a BIOS upgrade. 99.9% of the time, there's no need to do it.

I wish I had some positive advice for you, Mel. You seem to have gotten things to work, so... carry on. :)

Congratulations. You've ALMOST made a brick.

RULE #1 - Do NOT EVER upgrade BIOS.

It's rarely necessary and it's problematic, as you've found out. In all the years I've been building systems and using them, I've NEVER attempted a BIOS upgrade. 99.9% of the time, there's no need to do it.

I wish I had some positive advice for you, Mel. You seem to have gotten things to work, so... carry on. :)

Well Eric I've been building computers since 1993 and have done hundreds of bios updates. I can always recover if things go wrong especially with a Asus or Gigabyte MB 2 of my Favorites. Both give you the means to recover.

Mel

• Like 1

I upgraded a BIOS once, and that was so I could run linux without having to do a cold boot in order to start my system again. I literally held my breath until it had completed.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Eric I've been building computers since 1993 and have done hundreds of bios updates.

You are DA' MAN, Mel! I never had the intestinal fortitude to attempt a BIOS upgrade. I did do one on my router once... terrifying. ;)

I literally held my breath until it had completed.

Fortunately for you, that didn't take too long. ;)

securitybreach

Eric I've been building computers since 1993 and have done hundreds of bios updates.

You are DA' MAN, Mel! I never had the intestinal fortitude to attempt a BIOS upgrade. I did do one on my router once... terrifying. ;)

I literally held my breath until it had completed.

Fortunately for you, that didn't take too long. ;)

I have always upgraded the bios on every single device that I have owned or used.

That is literally one of the first things that I do when troubleshooting.

• Like 1

securitybreach

You're just a masochist. I bet you like Gentoo. ;)

Nah I just do not like bugs, especially when they have already been fixed. This is what most computer engineers and technicians do.