pclos8

gauchoperezoso

gauchoperezoso

hi Bruno!i didnt have time to post before but now it is all ok.i have received a cd from you and wanted to install pclinuxos but when i log as a root and write startx it doesnt work.there is some error i think.or maybe it is me doing something wrong:)i will write you in a second what i get after startx.thank you for your help ;)

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gauchoperezoso

• Bruno

• ross549

• ikerekes

Hi GauchoWelcome back my friend !You mean you do not get a GUI for your login ??You should be able to log in as "guest" with the password "guest" . . . but from a GUI login.;) Bruno

gauchoperezoso

i only put the cd into the driver and then it automatically starts.goes thru detecting all the things,when probing PCI controllers it says USB controller failed.there are some digits before PCI controllers but didnt write them down.and then when i am supposed to login i write root and after that root once more at password.i can also log in as a guest.then when i type startx i get quite a lot of information,i copied down the parts where i believed something went wrong:EE failed to load module keyboard (invalid module 0)fatal server error:cannot run in framebuffer mode .please specify bus ID for all framebuffer devicesXIO:fatal IO error 104 (connction reset by peer)on x server ":0.0"after 0 request (0 known processed)with 0 events remaining.i dont know if i should start it like that.you will have to go with me step by step Bruno ;)

Adam can you help him trough XFdrake ?? . . log in as root . . no startx . . but XFdrake to configure the X . . after configuring it you can test it . . if it is okay then "Ctrl+D" to log out as root and log in as "guest" . . then "startx" !!B) BrunoAdam . . ( Ross ) . . is real good in PCLos . . . so I can help in the other thread and will check back in here soon !

I am here... :)I had to go play with XFdrake to make sure that I knew what I was doing..... Does it normally detect the model & type of monitor and video card?

Yup !! . . And you use the TEST button to see if all is configured okay . . and can go back if it is not and try ohter settings . . . just as long as it takes to get it right . . . . With my main box I had to do that too !B) Bruno

gauchoperezoso..... I will be your server tonight... :lol:Ok, apparently, the CD is not detecting the video card and monitor properly. We are going to run a program called XFdrake, and try to find what is going wrong.Firstly, I am assuming that you are running some flavor of Windows, despite noting in your profile that you are running Fedora. If you are not, then that is not a major problem, but it would make the job easier.If you are indeed running windows, I would suggest going into the Device Manager (right-click My Computer, and select properties, then the hardware tab), and noting anything you find under display adapters and monitors. Please report back with the info. Also, I need to know if you are using an LCD or a regular CRT tube-type monitor.

gauchoperezoso

sorry Ross.i was playing around with pcliuxos after typing XFdrake and then startx.i felt really lost B) i couldnt even connect to the internet.but getting down to business.i have a laptop so it is LCD.I am running windows since my fedora was bugged.as far as the graphics controller is concerned i get something like this :na Intel® 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controllerunder monitors i get default monitor and plug and play monitortype of device: monitorsproducer: standard monitor typeslocalization: na Intel® 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controllernow adapters...i dont know where to find it.my windows is in spanish and it says something that can be translated as controllers.i dont know if thats what yuo mean.if yes there is quite a lot of it :worthy:

Alrighty.. I would like to try something first, before we hack the CD to bits... :)When you boot from the PCLinuxOS CD, let's enter a specific set of boot options.... When the first screen comes up when loading off the CD (you know, the one with the penguin in the cowboy hat), I want you to enter

livecd xres=1024x768 xbpp=16
and hit enter. Be sure to type that exactly! It may be enough to get the thing working properly.EDIT: You must be a little quick about it.... the screen has a 4 or 5 second delay on it before it starts booting. Once you press the first key, the timer stops, so you can take your time and make sure that what you have typed is correct. :)BTW- does your notebook have "Centrino" on it? Could I get the model number? Edited by ross549

gauchoperezoso

I did what you told me.typed the command carefully but everything went exactly the same as when i didnt do anything.i can start linux after XFdrake and then configuring different thing(although i had no idea if i did it in a correct way) and the startx.the resolution and display was ok.the system didnt detect soun device though.now my comuter is centrino or so i think B) :intel celeron M processor 15GHz i sure can give you my modem except i dont know what modem you mean.my ethernet card?thanx for helping me Ross

So XFdrake apparently detected everything properly? That is good news! Now the sound..... that is a seperate matter. Is everything else working as expected?

As soon as you reboot all the settings you did in XFdrake will be gone !! . . So either go for a HD install ( it will remember the settings ) . . or make notes using XFdrake for the next boot !!!Sound . . un-mute ??B) Bruno

gauchoperezoso

well when i type startx and then the system starts it says it cannot detect sound device,i dont think it is a matter of unmuting it.also once it starts i cant configure my internet connection.in the menu there is no thing like that also when i type internet druid in run program it doesnt work.i am sure guys you can help me out with it.and once i type XFdrake how do i configure everything.do i always have to write this command when inserting a cd?how do i install it?so many questions..... :)

gauchoperezoso......We can work through them one at a time....1. Many of your configuration tasks can be completed through the Master Control Center. This can be foun in K -> Configuration -> Master Control Center. Now if you go into the Hardware section, and click on the hardware icon, you can see if the sound card is detected.2. How do you connect to the internet?3. When you were in XFDrake, it saved your settings for you, so you can run startx. When you do your install, it will save the settings permanently for you.4. You only have to enter the command when you want to run PCLos off of the CD. When it is on the hard drive, everything should be setup perfectly for you.5. When you log into KDE as guest, you should have a livecd-install icon on the desktop. When we get ready to install, we will have further instructions for you.At this point, I think it is important to figure out if all your hardware will work on this system, then worry about the install. :)

gauchoperezoso

i checked the hardware section.both the soun and ethernet card are detected.weird cuz the sound device isnt detected.in fedora i knew how to configure net connectionhere i dont.like i said cant start internet druid.also how can i change graphical interface form kde to gnome.i like this one better :) i didnt see live cd icon on the desktop.only home trashcan and two other icons but dont remember now what it was :)

Are you logging in as root? Or guest? The icon is on the desktop for guest.Gnome cannot be added until PCLos is installed, unfortunately.To start the internet, I am assuming that you are connecting via ethernet to your modem, you can go into the network section of the Master Control Center.

gauchoperezoso

good point Ross :) i was logged in as a root.i have to check this master control center.cant remember seeing it though.gotta start it once more.and one more thing.can i save windows partition when istallinf pclinuxos?i mean it has to be possible but is it easy to do it.do i have to know something before i decide to install it.i would like to spare windows for now until i have found out more about the new OS :)

Yep, Windows should be left untouched. :)Master Control Center can be found by K -> Configuration -> Master Control Center (password: root)

Hi GauchoSo now you can get a GUI . . . how is the net-connection ? And the sound ? Do you have a partition free the do the HD install and see if we can troubleshoot the issues ?:happyroll: Bruno

gauchoperezoso

hi Bruno!!net connection is just fine,i managed to configure it and so i did with my mouse since in the beginning it didnt work.now am ready to install.i do have one partition ready-it is windows partition but i can format it here.now the sound still doesnt work.it says no file device/hdv/snd or something like that when i start the system.it does detect the sound card though.i do like this distro much more than my buggy fedora :"> :w00tx100:

Great news Gaucho !!So we will do the HD install ??I think the best order is to format that partition you have first to "ReiserFS" . . then reboot, come back in PCLos, get X and the net configured before hitting the install button . . . then when during the install you choose the partition you formatted, you remove the tick in the box that says "format" ( because we did already format ) this is the best way to install and has the least of risks to fail or hang during the install.Also you want to install the LILO bootloader in the MBR when asked at the end of the install.So, now what remains is to explain what to use to format that partition:Look in the menu for system --> configuration --> Master Control CenterThe master Control Center ( MCC ) has a section "Mount points"--> "partitions" . . . that is the tool you will want to use to format that partition !!Now if you give me a minute to boot into PCLos I can check on the exact names for the menu items and MCC section I just wrote . . .but have a look in that direction already and I will be back to confirm.:w00tx100: BrunoPS: The nice thing about a PCLos install is that you can keep posting and asking questions during the install :"> . . .so do make use of that whenever you hesitate

GauchoIn the menu it is "Configuration"--> Master Control Center . . . .!!Then . . "Mount Points" --> PartitionsNow one last thing before you go there . . . you have to click on the partition . . then choose "UNMOUNT" . . then "format" and choose "ReiserFS" from the list . . . then in the end it will ask you if you want a "Mount point" . . . just leave it blank there . . it will say /mnt . . but you can change that to a "blank" option ! . . . then when done . . like I said reboot . . . . configure . . go back to the MCC first to check if that partition is still formatted . . . . and then you can close the MCC and start the install bu clicking in the icon on the desktop !In any case do NOT delete the partition and recreate it . . JUST format it !!:"> Bruno

gauchoperezoso

it is all ok bruno but how do i unmount a partition?i tried formatting but it doesnt work it only says that all the data will be lost and then when i click ok nothing happens.i dont know hot to unmount.there are various options like mount point resize forma delete....but no unmount :">