Unscientific Boot Times Different OS's

mhbell

This is unscientific way I checked boot times on my new computer build. The way I did it was to use a stop watch and started the timer when I pressed the selected Distro or OS at the grub prompt. When the Distro or OS was completely booted up I stopped the timer. Here are the results.

1. Mint 19 Cinnamon 13 seconds

2. Windows 10 13 1/2 seconds

3. Siduction 3.0 Cinnamon 12 1/2 seconds

4. Siduction 3.0 QT 9 1/2 seconds

5. Mint 19 XFCE 10 1/2 seconds

although the results are not really scientific it does tend to show the overhead that Cinnamon has on any particular Distro. Windows 10 is the slowest which is to be expected with all of the bloat and overhead. Siduction is the clear winner and is running flawless after a special build that I got off of Siduction IRC. I like the Cinnamon DE, but may go with the QT DE which is fast and sleek.

Mel

• Like 2

LXQt isn't quite ready for primetime yet. Oh so close...but certainly usable in the meantime. Ironically, Siduction is the most polished LXQt DE I've seen so far. Whoda thunk it? The most polished version comes from SID repos! Good choice IMHO, Mel! Good luck!

With an SSD, quad-core, and 16GB of RAM I simply don't worry about bloat and boot times. Cinnamon is much improved and provides a familiar and friendly UI for a new Linux user who might want to run a browser or play games. I intend to keep running it on my principal Linux desktop.

free -h
		 total	 used	 free	 shared buff/cache available
Mem:		 15G	 592M		 14G		 12M	 612M		 14G
Swap:		 15G		 0B		 15G

I run Debian on my Thinkpad and a lightweight Arch Xfce on my creaky old netbook which has only 2 GB of RAM.

Edited by raymac46

Forgot to mention a crappy old HP laptop with a broken hinge that used to belong to my daughter. I have it set up on my workbench in the basement. I run MX Linux on it.

free -h
		  total	    used	    free	  shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:		   7.3G	    371M	    6.5G	    6.9M	    408M	    6.7G
Swap:		  2.0G		  0B	    2.0G

It boots and runs like a pig because it has a slow mechanical hard drive - nice distro though.

-Siduction-Cinnamon:~$ free -h

total used free shared buff/cache available

Mem: 14Gi 708Mi 12Gi 10Mi 1.2Gi 13Gi

Swap: 2.4Gi 0B 2.4Gi

mhbell@m-pc-Siduction-Cinnamon:~$

securitybreach

This is unscientific way I checked boot times on my new computer build. The way I did it was to use a stop watch and started the timer when I pressed the selected Distro or OS at the grub prompt. When the Distro or OS was completely booted up I stopped the timer.

BTW this is already built in as long as the distro has systemd.

comhack@Cerberus ~ % systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 2.296s (kernel) + 886ms (userspace) = 3.183s

• Like 2

The way I did it was to use a stop watch and started the timer when I pressed the selected Distro or OS at the grub prompt. When the Distro or OS was completely booted up I stopped the timer.

When you say that you stopped the timer when the distro was completely booted it up, do you mean to the login screen, or do you not use those?

BTW this is already built in as long as the distro has systemd.

Very cool! Wow, that's a fast startup!

• Like 1

securitybreach

Thanks. I just had to tweak my startup services. And that is from boot to login screen.

I don't use a login screen

Mel

systemd-analyze

Startup finished in 18.136s (firmware) + 2.058s (loader) + 5.524s (kernel) + 8.113s (userspace) = 33.832s

graphical.target reached after 1.390s in userspace

• Like 1

Thanks. I just had to tweak my startup services. And that is from boot to login screen.

[longship@11:33:55 ~]$ systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 2.439s (kernel) + 676ms (userspace) = 3.115s
graphical.target reached after 573ms in userspace

Darn it !!!!!!!!!!!!! I nearly have my rig tuned to be a super fast starter (unlike its owner) but that pesky geek Josh just keeps a few milli seconds in front. I did manage to whack him on reaching userspace this time though.

I use startx with no log in screen if that makes a difference.

:breakfast:

• Like 1

securitybreach

Darn it !!!!!!!!!!!!! I nearly have my rig tuned to be a super fast starter (unlike its owner) but that pesky geek Josh just keeps a few milli seconds in front. I did manage to whack him on reaching userspace this time though.

I use startx with no log in screen if that makes a difference.

:breakfast:

Nice. I use startx as well :thumbsup: