Flash PLayer in KDE on PCLos 0.93a

Specmon

Reading over at pcLinux online, I see Texstar complaining that none of the flash versions are working well with linux.There is a 9.x beta version available, and from the adobe site there is a 7.0.68.0 version available for linux.Either of these worthwhile, or am I just working towards a big headache? :hysterical:

Hi TomFlashplayer comes pre-installed in PCLos . . . . . But when I try to see the video I only get sound, no picture . . . . . I think we will need flash 9 to see it.I will test it and let you know.:whistling: BrunoPS: I see we crossposted :hysterical:

Flashplayer comes pre-installed in PCLos . . . . . But when I try to see the video I only get sound, no picture . . . . . I think we will need flash 9 to see it.
Likewise.Bill

Okay TomI did the test and it works . . . here is what you do: first back up the flashplugin you have now:

# cp /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer-Backup

Then go here: http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer9.html and download the "Download Installer for Linux (GZ, 2.48 MB)" to your /home/tomNext do:

# tar -xvzf FP9_plugin_beta_112006.tar.gz# cd flash-player-plugin-9.0.21.78# cp libflashplayer.so   /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/

Next restart your browser and you will be able to see the video.:hysterical: BrunoNote . . I tested the plugin before and I know it sometimes crashes . . .that is why I went back to the 7 version of the plugin myself . . . . . But for this video ( very funny indeed ) . . you can at least see it :whistling:

Thanks Bruno, the installation was easy.But as Texstar or someone else over at the PCLos forums was complaining,starting the video causes Firefox to simply close.So no go :hysterical: :whistling: Any other ideas?

OK, I tired Konqueror, and it "looked" as if it was going to work, then I got an error message about KDE crashing due to "nspluginviewer", although the browser remained open.Will look for a third browserWon't play in Opera, although Opera didn't crash.Opera looks interesting, will have to look at it further.

NVU complains that I need flash 8 or higher to play the video, so obviously the flash 9 install isn't available for NVU to play.I think those four browsers are all that there are in KDE. should I try gnome? How do I switch?

Well, It's nice to have Seamonkey installed.but opening the video causes Seamonkey to close just like it's cousin Firefox :( Is Adobe this much out of sync with linux? Is pathetic :thumbsup: :angry:And why can Urmas get it to work in Ubuntu, but we can't get PCLos to show it? :hmm:

Edited by Specmon

Is Adobe this much out of sync with linux? Is pathetic :thumbsup: :(
It's been pathetic... now there is hope for Flash 9 final. :hmm: I tried that one with my browsers (in Ubuntu Dapper / XFCE):FF - OKEpiphany - OKOpera - No go... Flash 9 beta has "confirmed" issues with OperaKonqueror - Nope

And why can Urmas get it to work in Ubuntu, but we can't get PCLos to show it? :thumbsup:
What you can do Tom . . is download FF 2.0 from the mozilla mirrors to your /home directory ( http://mozilla.mirrors.tds.net/pub/mozilla...refox/releases/ ) unpack the tar.gz file and leave it in your /homeSo then you will have "/home/tom/firefox/plugins/" . . . . put the flash 9 in there . . . and then start FF with the command "/home/tom/firefox/firefox"( Maybe even backup your /home/tom/.mozilla and then delete the original . . so it will rebuild a new fresh /home/tom/.mozilla just for this test ):hmm: Bruno

...just for this test??? I can't believe the hoops we have to jump through to do this. :thumbsup: :If this works, can't I simply update my Firefox 1.5.0.7 to the 2.0 version and reinstall the flash plugin so I can then "use" my browser like a "normal user"?? :hmm: :(

The Firefox ftp site shows a version of 2.0 for i686.This machine is i586 at most, maybe even i486.Using a 800mhz VIA Samuel cpu in a Syntax mobo.Think I can use the i686 version?(We need a new Emoticon for "jumping through hoops" :thumbsup: )

Well, the program itself works fine, but when I try to view the flash video, FF2.0 also just closes.Also, I notice that I lost my bookmarks in the original FF1.5.0.7I suppose they are in the .mozilla backup?The "backup" didn't seem to work, so I copied the file elsewhere and deleted it from the original directory, and as you predicted, the directory was recreated. Can I just copy the original file over the new one to get back my bookmarks and settings?And this probably exhuasts any possibility of viewing this video in PCLos with flash 9?For me, this was just an exercise in working with/installing things etc with PCLos, so installing Ubuntu just to see this (especially as I "have" seen it in windows, ) is not of interest.

Can I just copy the original file over the new one to get back my bookmarks and settings?
Yep you can . . . . it is indeed that simple :thumbsup: But when you copy it back do not use the 2.0 again because it will overwrite settings you need for the 1.5.0.7
And this probably exhuasts any possibility of viewing this video in PCLos with flash 9?
Yes . . . sorry !I would now delete the firefox 2.0 that you downloaded/uppacked in your /home . . . and wait for PCLos to get the updated FF2.0 in synaptic so it will be installed properly on the right place. It will then have ALL the plugins ( not just only the flash ) active and convert the prefs file in your /home/tom/.mozilla to 2.0B) Bruno

• 1 month later...
I tried that one with my browsers (in Ubuntu Dapper / XFCE):FF - OKEpiphany - OKOpera - No go... Flash 9 beta has "confirmed" issues with OperaKonqueror - Nope
UPDATE:Works also with Opera 9.10 + Flash 9 beta 2 + Ubuntu Edgy (Gnome)