• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• longgone

• Bruno

• ross549

• RD1

Top Posters In This Topic

1). how do I sey up a shortcut in the taskbar
The easiest way would be to drag the desktop shortcut, using the right mouse button, and drop it in the Quick Launch bar (with IE and OE...etc) and select "copy here" from the pop-up menu.
2). how do I make the upgrade to version 0.9
Simply download the Thunderbird 0.9 Installer and execute it.Rodger

:huh: :huh: :hmm: Okay... I gonna clear this up .... no shortcut icons appear any where.... I NEED to make one in order to move it .... at the moment it not to be found

:huh: :huh: :hmm: :o :huh: ...OKopen windows explorer.....browse to C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird or wherever you installed Thunderbird.....right click thunderbird.exe and, in the pop-up menu, go to "Send To" and click on "Desktop (create shortcut)"Now you should have a desktop shortcut that you can copy to where ever you like.

:huh: :huh: Apples & oranges..... Windows and Linux!!!!!Forget everything I've said....pretend I wasn't even here..... :hmm: (tip-toing away.... looking for a place to hide)I think it would be best to move this thread to the Linux forum.......

In mandrake you can just right click on the taskbar and chose add -> application button -> Internet -> mail -> Thunderbird. This should work as long as you have it in the menu.

:hmm: ...rolana ... I don't have anything in the menu that refers to thunderbird ... that is causing me this grief..Adam... originally I had a similiar thread to this in ATL and was told it should be in the email/browser forum ... IMHO .... either or is fine ... just want to get it straightened out so that I can use thunderbird..

Hi DaleWhere did this thread get lost ??If Thunderbird is in your home . . . first test this line in a console:

$ /home/dale/thunderbird/thunderbird

If that one works ( maybe adapt the "dale" ) we can make a shortcut on the desktop first:Rightclick on empty space on desktop --> Create New --> File --> Link to Application . . .that will open a window with 3 tabs. First tab fill in "Thunderbird" and last tab, where it says "command" fill in the command we tested in the console above.Then press OK and test the shortcut if it functions well.After that you can drag it on the taskbar.:"> BrunoPS: If Thunderbird is still in your /home as .tar.gz . . . . . you will have to unpack it first: rightclick --> Actions --> Extract HerePS2: If you want to upgrade, simply delete the thunderbird directory you have now, get the 9.0 one and do the same as above.http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thu...gtk2+xft.tar.gz

If it doesn't show up in any menu, you can add it using the Menu Editor.You should have Menu Editor in a default Mandrake menu under System>Config ( or something like that) Open it, Highlight Mail under the Internet folder, and click the New button on the toolbar. Type Thunderbird in the box that opens and click OK. Now you need to add the path to the binary (or script in this case.) in the "Command " box.It should be /home/user/thunderbird/thunderbird , but if you used the installer it may be /home/user/thunderbird-installer/thunderbird. Thenyou can click on the icon to change it. If it doesn't show up under the System icons, brows to the .../thunderbird/icons folder to find one. (Or maybe its ..../thunderbird/chrome/icons :"> ).Then click on File>Save in the menu bar and it should appear in your menu!Sometimes it takes a logout before it shows. :ermm:I used the installer for the first time recently and it did put an icon under Mail in the Menu. :thumbsdown:

Adam/Bruno.......

Password:[root@localhost dale]# ls -ltotal 15868-rw-rw-r-- 1 dale dale  8004 Oct 14 12:17 04011801.gif-rw-rw-r-- 1 dale dale    55309 Oct 16 12:17 cg18_5.jpgdrwx------ 3 dale dale  4096 Aug 12 19:00 Desktop/drwxr-xr-x 2 dale dale  4096 Aug 12 19:00 Documents/drwx------ 8 dale dale  4096 Nov  4 21:15 evolution/-rw------- 1 dale dale  5351042 Aug 31 14:07 galeon-1.3.17.tar.gz-rw-rw-r-- 1 dale dale 398144 Oct 13 10:39 Plum_Pudding_v2.1.zipdrwxr-xr-x  10 dale dale  4096 Oct 21 04:44 thunderbird/-rw------- 1 dale dale 10369024 Oct  1 02:17 thunderbird-0.8-i686-linux-gtk2+xft.tar.gzdrwx------ 4 dale dale  4096 Nov  4 02:43 tmp/[root@localhost dale]#[dale@localhost dale]$ /home/dale/thunderbird/thunderbird
:"> that did not come out quite right but both of the terminal requests are there ,,, the original post is in page 4 ,, under a hdg Mandrake 10.0 and Thunderbird or close to that...

:thumbsup: :) :clap: :bounce: :clap: Success!!!!!!!!!!!! all is good ... if I do the update to 0.9 what will be the effect on 0.8 .. will it just soet of overwrite it or will both be there or or or???????????????

The best way to upgrade to 0.9 would be to remove all contents of the /home/dale/thunderbird folder and then extract the new version to the same place. All your settings will transfer over and you shouldn't encounter any problem.

Ryan.... we did run into problems migrating from .7 to .8.... we had to rename the profile folder, and copy the mail folder files over from the old folder.

I would first rename the /home/dale/thunderbird directory to /home/dale/OLD-thunderbird . . . . . . just to be sure ;)Then download the 9.0 http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thu...gtk2+xft.tar.gzand unpack it and try the same command you did to make the 8.0 work:

$ /home/dale/thunderbird/thunderbird

If that works Okay you can safely delete the /home/dale/OLD-thunderbird :DB) Bruno

Nice guess Dale . . . . . but not really effective :)

$ mv /home/dale/thunderbird  /home/dale/OLD-thunderbird

This will do the trick ;) . . . just give the cammand as normal user ( the file is in YOUR /home ) ;):hmm: Bruno

:D ;) :) :hmm: Well ... d/l of 0.9 is done ... now trying to run the tar -xvzf cmd and can't get past that wall ... keeps telling me something about a child .. and no such directory and that it is exiting now ... at least last time I got to step 3.........

:) ;) :hmm: Okay ... did that and it did it all ... (I think) am I correct to assume that any mail that was in 0.8 was moved over to 0.9 ??? Next ,, how do I move the mail from evolution to Tbird ???? ... More to come later :D :D

Okay ... did that and it did it all ... (I think) am I correct to assume that any mail that was in 0.8 was moved over to 0.9 ???
Yep that is correct . . . you can now delete the /home/dale/OLD-thunderbird directory ;) :DHow to import the mail from Evolution is beyond me: I do not use Thunderbird . . . ;):) Bruno