md5sums.txt

Dard

I just got through downloading the kernel-smp-2.6.3.9mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm from ftp.nluug.nl for mandrake 10.0 official. ( /pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrakelinux/official/updates/10.0/RPMS )Before I do the # rpm -ivh kernel-smp-2.6.3.9mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm to install it, I'd like to do the md5sum on it.Problem is I can't locate the md5sums textfile.It's not listed on the MandrakeSecure site. They only list kernel-smp-2.6.3.8mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpmWithout it I wont install this kernel, if anyone can locate the md5sums for me I sure would appreciate it, thanks.I looked for then at ftp.nluug.nl but I didn't find any, maybe they hid them in plain sight :lol:Seems to me that in the mandrake 9.1 version you could install the kernel package using mandrakeupdate, if I remember correctly there is a file that for urpmi that tells urpmi, rpmdrake not to upgrade but to install the kernel pacakge next to any other kernels. I'll have to dig around in there to try and locate that file, as it would make installing new kernels easy. I haven't used mandrake for five months so I have some catching up to do. ;)

I don't understand why you are not using the Mandrake Control Center? If you do that then it does everything for yo. It even adds it as an option to your lilo. It does not replace what you have but simply gives you another option. I have several different kernels installed this way and I choose which one I wnat to boot with. I can't remember ever seeing an md5sum for a kernel. Then again, I usually use the MCC when in Drake.Julia ;)

I don't understand why you are not using the Mandrake Control Center?  If you do that then it does everything for yo.Julia :)
Well Julia that's why I am asking.According to mandrake ''To upgrade your kernel, view the kernel update instructions. Kernels cannot be upgraded via MandrakeUpdate.''Now this could be outdated, but it's still on their webpage in the link I provided. :lol:If you want to see the md5sums just look at that webpage. ;) :whistling:Here it is for the older kernel.4a23217607dc4986fbca670eb364cf84 10.0/RPMS/kernel-smp-2.6.3.8mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpmBTW I would rather use the MCC for this, just don't want to b0rk the working kernel thats already installed by ''upgrading'' instead of ''installing''.

linuxdude32

Take a look at the bottom of the page and do this procedure instead. It verifies that the kernel was signed by Mandrake.

Verification Please verify the update prior to upgrading to ensure the integrity of the downloaded package. You can do this with the command:    rpm --checksig package.rpm      You can get the GPG public key of the Mandrake Linux Security Team to verify the GPG signature of each RPM.
It will verify that the file hasn't been changed since it was signed, and it's built into RPM.

Thanks Julia and linuxdude, I'm starting to lose some confidence in mandrake, I got this popup when I clicked to get the GPG public key. ;) auth1.pngSo I dug deeper into my system and found this file, which explains why I can use the MCC to install instead of updating the kernel. :DWhich means that mandrakes web page is outdated, and there is a problem along the line with authentication. :whistling:file:/etc/urpmi/inst.list# Here you can specify packages that need to be installed instead# of being upgraded (typically kernel packages).kernelkernel-smpkernel-securekernel-enterprisekernel-linus2.2kernel-linus2.4kernel22kernel22-securekernel22-smphackkernel

Hi DardThe kernel-smp-2.6.3.9 does show up in my MCC . . and if you use the MCC to download/install it it does check the md5sum for you automatically. Also if you use the MCC the lilo bootloader gets updated automatically so that makes the install so much easier.By default upgraded kernels do not show up in the regular updates, but they still are there, only you have to look for it and specifically say you want to install it.;) Bruno

Also if you use the MCC the lilo bootloader gets updated automatically so that makes the install so much easier.
I did and it did. :DThe only thing that I did after it was installed was to run lilo, as I'm not sure if that command was run when the MCC installed the new kernel next to the old one, other than that it worked fine, no problems what so ever.Now if mandrake would just update its web page. :thumbsdown:

They are are a little slow with all the major changes that have taken place. I am just happy to have a great working distro while waiting for my Power Pack to arrive. Glad you found success. The MCC works great.Julia :thumbsdown:

Now if mandrake would just update its web page.  :thumbsdown:
:whistling: . . now you are almost asking for the impossible Dard :) . . . . . updating their website is not what they do best :w00t:Anyway glad the problem is solved ! ;):lol: Bruno