Linux Live CD ( Knoppix )

AirFarceWon

AirFarceWon

Hi all!New to this forum, I first posted something in another topic, before noticing the "new topic" button... :thumbsup: So maybe I should start afresh: I have burned a Knoppix (Kaella) distribution as Live CD, and it boots OK, thank you.The only thing it doesn't do at all is let me connect to the Internet: my modem is a SpeedTouch 530 (router/modem) which works only in USB mode (I think my built-in NIC card is down; maybe I should add that I have a HP laptop with Win XP SP2), and though I get a message stating my modem's driver is installed in the kernel when I try to set it up manually, nothing works in the way of Internet connections...And each time I try to manually install another driver (I downloaded it from some web site advertised in another Linux forum), which I can access in my Windows files from LInux desktop, I'm prompted to enter a password, which I don't have...Tried passwords such as root, toor, su and the like, but nothing works.Can someone tell me how, either to set another password (even if I have to set it again each time I boot from the Linux CD), or to manually install the driver I downloaded without entering a password?Generally speaking, what should I do...?! :D THX in advance :hmm:

Hi AirFarceWelcome to the forum !!In knoppix if you put "sudo" before a root command you give it will not ask you for a password :D . . . so for example "sudo modprobe nvidia" will give the "modprobe nvidia" command as root ;)You can give root any password you like by doing "sudo passwrd" and typing the new password when it asks for it.That said . . . .I have doubts if the driver you found will work . . . . I know Linux has serious issues with adsl usb modems . . . .:( . . . but still you can try !You can also try if you can find a setting in the BIOS that will set your internal NIC ( onboard lan, or what ever it is called in your BIOS ) to "yes" and then you can simply use the ethernet port of your modem :D . . . and then 100% sure your internet connection will be up every time you boot without tweaking it ! Chances are that also in Windows you will then get a far better connection because adsl over USB , even if it works in Win, is of poor quality compaired to what you will get from the Ethernet card.Hope this will point you in the right direction ;)B) BrunoPS: I will remove the other post ( double ) for you :hmm: to prevent that you get answers all scattered over the forum :thumbsup:

AirFarceWon

Thanks so much Bruno, for taking the time to answer!I'm going to try your tip right away... Hope I've got it...Stay tuned! :thumbsup:

Hi AirFarceAre you really sure you have the right driver ?? Because the only driver I know is for the Alcatel 330 USB adsl modem . . . . . but sure I could be wrong too :)You see the problems with those Alcatel USB modem drivers is that it is no "free software" but it are "propiety drivers" . . . and just to protect their intellectual property they keep changing the hard/software . . so even if you have, let us say, a 330 USB modem the drivers of 330b will not fit nor 330c etc.etc. . . and every year there is a new sub-model to keep things the most complicated they can.It is a pre that they make Linux drivers at all, but the way they go about to protect them makes it very hard to apply them or to integrate them in any distro.This is why I again try to push you to find a way to get your ethernet card going :thumbsup: These are real good modem/routers but you really should not use the USB connection for it . . the ethernet part will give you the full 200% !:hmm: Bruno

AirFarceWon

Well, I totally agree with you as to this driver not being the right one, or not being installable, because when I tried, it didn't work!Thanks anyway, because now I know how to change the master password...As to my NIC card, I don't know what's wrong with it: I've tried several times to fix it, but every time I get the same result: an icon lodges itself in my system tray, barred with a exclamation mark in a yellow triangle, and a bubble stating "limited or non-existent connectivity"... Strange as it seems, all lights on the modem itself and next to the plug on my computer are bright green!I have yet to figure out that one! :D

As to my NIC card, I don't know what's wrong with it: I've tried several times to fix it, but every time I get the same result: an icon lodges itself in my system tray, barred with a exclamation mark in a yellow triangle, and a bubble stating "limited or non-existent connectivity"... Strange as it seems, all lights on the modem itself and next to the plug on my computer are bright green!I have yet to figure out that one! :D

This only confirms what I am suspecting: The BIOS ! . . Please check all the settings, usually it is somewhere near the onboard soundcard in the PCI section . . . I am sure there is a setting for onboard lan that is not "disabled" and should be "on" . . . . ( I know it is onboard but they still usually put those things in the PCI section :P )See because ( also in XP ) the system "hangs" a long time ( 30 seconds ) at boot trying to find the "lan" they usually "disable" that setting . . . . once you connect a "lan" you will have to enable it to make it function and it will no longer take 30 seconds to find the lan because it is there :)You understand what I am saying ?? ( My English is not always 100% but I try :worthy: but sometimes I need to many words to explain something really simple :wub: ):worthy: Bruno

Well, I totally agree with you as to this driver not being the right one, or  not being installable, because when I tried, it didn't work!Thanks anyway, because now I know how to change the master password...As to my NIC card, I don't know what's wrong with it: I've tried several times to fix it, but every time I get the same result: an icon lodges itself in my system tray, barred with a exclamation mark in a yellow triangle, and a bubble stating "limited or non-existent connectivity"... Strange as it seems, all lights on the modem itself and next to the plug on my computer are bright green!I have yet to figure out that one! :D

That's not a wireless NIC is it?

AirFarceWon

OK, here's what I'm going to do: I'm going to change the boot order so that "boot from LAN" comes first, then CD, then HDD... We'll see where that leads us...I'll keep you posted!Again, thanks for your time and input! :D

No No . . boot from LAN is something very different my friend . . that is not the setting we are looking for ;)The absolutely has to be a setting for the onboard lan or onboard ethernetcard or whatever they call it . . . . if it is on or off . . but there has to be a setting for it. ( you should be able to "exclude" it if you plug in a new one, that is why ):wub: BrunoPS: "My time and input" is no problem . . don t worry that is why I am here for :D

AirFarceWon
PS: "My time and input" is no problem . . don t worry that is why I am here for
Well, thanks anyway! :D I changed boot order and, of course, nothing changed... So it's back to the drawing board, and finding a way to make my NIC card work...
That's not a wireless NIC is it?
No, it's a National Semiconductor built-in NIC, and my computer is a HP Pavilion laptop...Any ideas are welcome, because I'm at my wit's end... :wub:

Maybe you can try the USB connection to the modem in this way:

Turn off Legacy USB support in BIOS or else you cannot use Linux USB Support
Source: http://bumbox.net/linuxlaptop/ze4200.htmlElse have a look in these resultshttp://www.google.com/linux?num=50&hl=en&l...G=Google+SearchMaybe you will find something usefull . . and if you need help . . . or another eye to look at a special quote . . . let me know what you found.:wub: BrunoIn any case http://www.google.com/linux is a real good resource if you put in the correct laptop modelnumber and network card . . . it searches results ONLY in linux :D . . . or did I understand correctly that the NIC does not work in Windows either ?

AirFarceWon

Hi Bruno!To answer one of your questions, you're right, my NIC doesn't work in Windows, so I doubt it will in Linux, but I'm going to try what you suggest in your last post...I'll tell you what's happened after that!Enjoy your Sunday! :happyroll:

AirFarceWon

Hi again!I tried to enter your command in a Konsole, but got nothing: a new prompt appear, cursor blinking, but nothing changed...I then tried something I'd never tried before: I clicked on the penguin in the taskbar, then "Configure network card", but instead of choosing DHCP the way I did before, I clicked on "no"; a command line window appeared, with a message to the effect of "the operation went well" :clap: When I opened Konqueror (I also tried Mozilla, since both come with the Knoppix 3.7), clicked on an Internet link, and strangely, I didn't get an error message at once! After about 20 seconds, I had an error PAGE, like the 404 in Internet Explorer.Does it mean there's an improvement? :happyroll: I mean, I still can't connect to the web, but hey, I don't get sacked right away... :bounce:

AirFarceWon

I've got an additional question, unrelated to the other: in the Knoppix 3.7 live distro, there's a wallpaper called "Sea of Conero", which I find superb, and which I'd like to set as wallpaper in Wndows... :happyroll: I've Googled it, nothing; did a multi-engine search for all Linux wallpapers, nothing; I explored the CD in Windows, but found no trace of it anywhere! I even did a search for *.png, *.jpg and the like (pictures, all format), and came empty...Does anybody know where I can find this pic? :bounce:

While in Knoppix can you copy it to the harddrive or are you using winxp. You could also copy it to a floppy and then install it in windows.

AirFarceWon

Rolanaj, do you mean the WHOLE CD or just the picture? If the former, well, I chose a live CD to get a whiff of LInux without actually installing it...If the latter, I explored the whole CD from top to bottom and back, and I didn't find the d*** picture!I did a picture/photo search on the CD content, and all I found where penguins on lawn chairs and icons...No wallpaper at all...Strange, huh? :happyroll:

Hi AirFarceWonFirst the wallpaper . . . . usually they are sotred in /usr/share/wallpapers . . . . :happyroll: . . . do you know how to use the GUI to browse the filesystem ??I will be writing about the NIC in a minute . . . give me a few seconds ;):bounce: Bruno

AirFarceWon
:bounce: :clap: Hi Bruno!I searched the CD while I was in Windows (just did it again, as a matter of fact), and I count ten pictures or icons...But I can't search for item such as /usr/* in Windows, can I? :happyroll:

I tried to enter your command in a Konsole, but got nothing: a new prompt appear, cursor blinking, but nothing changed...
Hi AirFarce . . . you think that this part was of none importance . . . but actually it says a lot when that command does not return an error ;)Now I want to do an experiment . . . but there is no guarantee . . . listen closely, 1). I want you to shut down that computer . . pull out the USB to modem connection and plug a Cat5 crossover cable from the ethernet port to the lan entry in your laptop.2). Then I want you to boot Knoppix . . . . just plain boot . . NO configuring of network of any kind . . nothing . . . nada.3). Then I want you to give the command in a terminal:
sudo lsmod

and have alook if in the listing you get you see "natsemi" . . . . . I bet there is ;)4). Then I want you to give the command

sudo ifconfig eth0

( that is ifconfig and not like in Windows ipconfig :bounce: and it ios eth-ZERO )If you see about 7/ 8 lines or more we are on the right track !!5). If you did get some results of 3 and 4 . . . open a browser and type www.google.com in the addressbar . . . . . . 6). No result from 5 ? Try ( in a terminal )

ping www.cnn.com

let it go a few seconds then interrupt it with Ctrl+CSo that is your "homework" . . . . . . I hope we see good results . . . . ( So remebe, no configuring of any network device ! ):happyroll: Bruno

:bounce:  :clap: Hi Bruno!I searched the CD while I was in Windows (just did it again, as a matter of fact), and I count ten pictures or icons...But I can't search for item such as /usr/* in Windows, can I? :happyroll:

No no from Windows that will not work . . you have to boot the CD . . locate the wallpapers and then copy them over to Windows ;)But first do the "homework" I gave you above :D :) Bruno

AirFarceWon

Hi Bruno...I've got baaad news... :happyroll: I tried everything you suggested, and I still couldn't connect... I suppose the solution would be either to find a way to connect in USB mode or to forget about it entirely... :D As for the wallpaper, I simply couldn't find it... I mean, I can change the wallpaper on the desktop alright, but I couldn't locate the picture itself, so I couldn't copy it either... :D What now? :w00t:

What did you get under point 3 ?? did you see "natsemi" listed ??For the wallpaper . . let us try this:

ls -al /usr/share/wallpapers >wall.txt

This should put a textfile in your /home/knoppix called wall.txt with all the wallpapers . . . have a look in that list and see if it is thereB) BrunoPS: I am downloading Knoppix 3.7 now to see if I can help you get that wallpaper :w00t: . . If needed I will send it to you by mail :happyroll:

Hi AirFarceI have the wallpaper for you:. . . . . MINI-seaofconero.jpg <-- Click to enlargeYou can download it by rightclicking on the large pic you get in a new window and choosing "save image as" B)( It was in /usr/share/wallpapers B) in knoppix 3.7 )Now a word about Laella-Knoppix:I think you got set on the wrong track by the text on distrowatch about Kaella-Knoppix_Linux_Azur_1.4.iso . . . it says "added drivers and connection scripts for Sagem and Alcatel USB ADSL modems" . . . . ;)See these are scripts and drivers for the Alcatel USB-ASDL 330 modem . . . ISPs in Europe gave them free at any ASDL account . . . first "the frog" then the "red 330" and later the "silver 330" . . . All 3 of the desperate modems :( . . real junk !Your modem/router however is a real good one . . but you have to use the ethernet part of it. . . . but I would advise you to try another Live CD to get connected !Either a "real" knoppix . . . . or PCLos ( has speedtouch drivers too B) ) B) Bruno

AirFarceWon

Hi Bruno!First off, thanks for the pic, I've set it as wallpaper, and though my screen resolution (1024x768) blurs it a little, it's still an enchantment!Second, yes, I saw natsemi in the list, so I gather my NIC is supported by the Linux kernel, but I seem to have a driver problem of some sort, because this afternoon I downloaded a new driver from HP's site, installed it, and after reboot, my NIC didn't offer the right connectivity in Windows, so I'm at a loss...As to PCLOS, I downloaded the latest RC, but the ISO files must have been corrupted, because on boot, I got an error message, and the boot hung... I had to do a hardware stop and reboot on Windows... I'll try to download it again tomorrow; maybe I'll choose an older, stabler version, too... B) Anyway, I'll keep you posted as to what (meager) progress I make... B) Again, thank you so much for your help! :hmm:

Hi AirGet the pic again . . .I resized it for you and sharpened it a tiny little bit . . it is now 1024 x 768 ;)About the PCLos . .I hope you used the cheatcode needed for laptops . . "livecd xres=1024x768" at the first prompt you get before booting up . . . :hmm: Bruno

AirFarceWon

Hi!I haven't found the newly dimensioned picture, but it can wait, don't worry!I'm going to download PCLOS again in a moment... I'll then implement the cheatcode you mentioned...I'll keep you posted...THX again! :P

Good LuckWe wait to hear of your success. Those cheat codes are a necessity sometimes. I always have to use "livecd xres=1024x768 xbpp=24". The whole list of the cheat codes can be found here.

AirFarceWon

Thanks Teacher and Bruno!I'm downloading PCLOS as we speak (even in broadband, it takes like forever!), and I hope I'll be able to boot from the CD, and maybe, just maybe, post my next lines in LInux!!!I'll keep you posted... :P