Tablet questions from clueless

zlim

Disclaimer: I have never come near a tablet-type computer and I do not own a smartphone so I am really clueless. Consider that when you answer my entry-level questions.

I've been looking at a cheap no top name brand tablet to get my feet wet.

Pros: 1) slot for a micro sd card and I have a few of those already for my archived mp3 song; means it can support additional storage, if needed

2) USB slot to use either a stick or a USB keyboard because I have never had to tap on a phone so my skills there are zero

3) cheap

4) runs Android 4, Ice Cream Sandwich

5) can connect by HDMI to tv, if we ever get a new tv (our 4 tvs are all analog and we won't be replacing until something dies)

6) can connect to a computer to exchange files

Cons: 1) comes with something called Getjar instead of google

I'm greatly confused by google+, google market, which is probably now googleplay, and googleapps

2) cheap, no name means zero tech support

I've downloaded the manual to read for myself and see if I understand and I think I do

3) no idea of "file system"

First question: I've been reading and I'm really not sure what google thing above I'd need to try and install on this tablet.

Second question: Can the latest google thing be installed on any tablet? I've read and some mention was made to go to a site, download something to the computer and then grab it on the tablet selecting "install from sd card" but I'm not sure if this is possible on every tablet out there or just certain ones. The name brands have instructions; the cheap ones do not.

Bottom line: I don't want to pay above $150 so I'm unwilling to buy a good tablet just to learn the technology. If it can't be done (getting goole something installed), I won't buy the $120 8" Proscan unit.

securitybreach

Disclaimer: I have never come near a tablet-type computer and I do not own a smartphone so I am really clueless. Consider that when you answer my entry-level questions.

Pros: 1) slot for a micro sd card and I have a few of those already for my archived mp3 song; means it can support additional storage, if needed

2) USB slot to use either a stick or a USB keyboard because I have never had to tap on a phone so my skills there are zero

3) cheap

5) can connect by HDMI to tv, if we ever get a new tv (our 4 tvs are all analog and we won't be replacing until something dies)

I'm greatly confused by google+, google market, which is probably now googleplay, and googleapps

I've downloaded the manual to read for myself and see if I understand and I think I do

First question: I've been reading and I'm really not sure what google thing above I'd need to try and install on this tablet.

Second question: Can the latest google thing be installed on any tablet? I've read and some mention was made to go to a site, download something to the computer and then grab it on the tablet selecting "install from sd card" but I'm not sure if this is possible on every tablet out there or just certain ones. The name brands have instructions; the cheap ones do not.

Bottom line: I don't want to pay above $150 so I'm unwilling to buy a good tablet just to learn the technology. If it can't be done (getting goole something installed), I won't buy the $120 8" Proscan unit.

First off that tablet is horrid:

it has a very low resolution for the size

does not have the google app store which means most of the apps will not be available

low ram (512mb instead of 1gb) which will matter a lot (really horrid lag)

"The GetJar market does not work and crashes, and google play will not install" http://www.androidta...an-tablets.html

very low resolution 800x480

Some tablets have custom Roms you can install that are tailored to the specific device if there is development for the device. That said, this device does not have any custom roms avail so you will not be able to install a normal Android OS and you will not be able to upgrade the device.

Also, why do you want a device that comes with Ice Cream Sandwich? Jelly Bean (Android 4.1.1) is the latest version of Android and ICS is one version behind. That tablet also only has a single-core ARM processor at a clock speed of 1.2GHz with 512 ram and 800x480 resolution whereas for $199 you could get a tablet with a Quad Core processor, 1gb of ram, high resolution (1280x800). etc.

The Nexus 7 tablet from Google is the one you want (for that price point) but it does not have an hdmi port or a sd slot. Now the sd slot problem is not a problem as you can easily get an OTG cable (for about a buck) and a flash drive/external drive and load all the media you want. Plus you will have a completely supported tablet from google running the latest version of Android with all updates for $199. https://play.google.com/store/devices

Trust me, I have had quite a few tablets including really cheap ones (ViewSonic Gtablet and Zenithink ZT280) and you are much better off getting something that will be supported rather than getting a knockoff with no updates or the real android market. It is like buying a computer with an unsupported OS that only has a few apps avail and will not get any updates. A few months from now and it will be outdated and most apps will not be available.

Lastly, Google+ is a social network and the Play Store is the Android app store.

3) cheap

Ahhh, where do we start? There are so many cheap Chinese tablets out there. Personally, I'd spend a little bit more and buy a used HP Touchpad on eBay. You can get one for about $170. Why? Dual core CPU that can safely be overclocked to 1.7 ghz. ARM chips running at 1ghz are OK for smartphones but a very slow for tablet use. Ever use a netbook with a 1.6 ghz Intel CPU? Super fast when compared to a 1ghz ARM.

That being said, my first advice would be to check Slatedroid and XDA Developers forums to see what support there is for any tablet you are considering. As you pointed out, you aren't going to get support from the tablet maker but a lot of tablets have good support from those two forums.

As to Google Play store, many Chinese tablets won't work with it because the maker won't pay Google for a license. There are "work arounds" but that is another reason to check the two forums I mentioned. If there is good support for the tablet then somebody will be able to tell you how to get your favourite apps to work. Otherwise you are stuck with the meagre amount of apps supplied by the maker.

Keyboard and mouse are something first time tablet users always consider important but they really aren't. A tablet just isn't meant for "production" use. I have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse for my TP and very seldom use them.

• Like 1

The Nexus 7 tablet from Google is the one you want (for that price point) but it does not have an hdmi port or a sd slot. Now the sd slot problem is not a problem as you can easily get an OTG cable (for about a buck) and a flash drive/external drive and load all the media you want. Plus you will have a completely supported tablet from google running the latest version of Android with all updates for $199. https://play.google.com/store/devices

The Nexus is a great tablet except for the 7" screen. The difference between a 10" screen and a 7" one, to me, is that I can read with the 10" tablet sitting in my lap while I have to hold the 7" in my hand the whole time.

securitybreach

The Nexus is a great tablet except for the 7" screen. The difference between a 10" screen and a 7" one, to me, is that I can read with the 10" tablet sitting in my lap while I have to hold the 7" in my hand the whole time.

Yeah but the 1280x800 resolution is excellent and with the quad core cpu/16 core gpu, this thing is smoking fast!!!

securitybreach

I personally like holding it in one hand when reading or browsing as it is about the size of a paperback book so it feels comfortable. I think the 10" form factor (9.7" touchpad) is a little too big for everyday mobile use so my Touchpad ends up sitting on the dock 90% of the time.

I personally like holding it in one hand when reading or browsing as it is about the size of a paperback book so it feels comfortable. I think the 10" form factor (9.7" touchpad) is a little too big for everyday mobile use so my Touchpad ends up sitting on the dock 90% of the time.

Doesn't your arm get tired holding it up for hours? :'(

securitybreach

Doesn't your arm get tired holding it up for hours? :'(

Hours? I have never used it for hours but I it is very lightweight, about the weight of a paperback (0.75 lb). I imagine if you get tired of holding a book when you read, then the tablet would be about the same.

Guest LilBambi

Liz, I would wait to buy one till the new pricing for the Nexus 7 comes out apparently before the end of the year so you don't waste your money on crap.

As The iPad Mini Looms, Google May Launch A New Tablet That Costs Just $99 - BusinessInsider

Google is working on a new model of its well-received Nexus 7 tablet that will cost $99, according to a DigiTimes report. The tablet is said to launch in the fourth quarter of this year.

There will also be a $199 model of the device, according to the report. (The current Nexus 7 also starts at $199.)

At least then you would have a good tablet that runs Jelly Bean and can do GooglePlay etc.

Hours? I have never used it for hours but I it is very lightweight, about the weight of a paperback (0.75 lb). I imagine if you get tired of holding a book when you read, then the tablet would be about the same.

Can you read a book in less? :shifty:

securitybreach

Can you read a book in less? :shifty:

Sometimes. I am very fast reader so yeah I could read a lot in an hour. Maybe not the whole book but it would not bother me to hold something that has the weight of a book for hours. Plus I have some nice stands for my tablets so I could read either one without holding them.

Sometimes. I am very fast reader so yeah I could read a lot in an hour. Maybe not the whole book but it would not bother me to hold something that has the weight of a book for hours. Plus I have some nice stands for my tablets so I could read either one without holding them.

To each his own. I find it much more comfortable using the larger screen. My 7" tablet sits gathering dust while my TP goes with me everywhere.

That's a heavy paperback... lol

Adam

securitybreach

That's a heavy paperback... lol

Adam

Try reading Stephen King's The Stand in paperback, it weights like 2 lbs.

Thanks guys. I will read this thread in detail tomorrow. I spent from 9am to 9:30 pm dealing mostly with fixing my mom's problems. I am wiped out now and my brain isn't ready to absorb the info.

Answering comments made in post so you will get a better feel for what I expect and what I do with a device.

securitybreach:

1. very low resolution 800x480 incorrect, the res is 800 x 600, same as my 7" ASUS netbook. Remember I have "seniors eyes". I use 1024 x 768 on most of the computers in the house.

2. saw that thread - seemed worthless because it was the only thread and I have no idea how willing to work at something the owner is. Some give up, I don't. I just have to learn from more than one thread whether it is doable or not.

3."you will not be able to install a normal Android OS and you will not be able to upgrade the device." Not something I want to do. I buy a device and use it. I don't want to tinker nor upgrade.

4. I do not need the latest and greatest so Ice Cream Sandwich or Jelly Bean doesn't matter to me.

5. I do want an sd slot so anything without I would cross off my list.

6. "Google+ is a social network and the Play Store is the Android app store." Thank you for clearing all of that up for me.

lewmur:

1. "Ever use a netbook with a 1.6 ghz Intel CPU? Super fast when compared to a 1ghz ARM." My ASUS uses Intel® Celeron M 353 and operates at 900MHz. I haven't overclocked it and it does the job of playing movies fine in linux that are on a sd card but I've never used the Android OS so I will assume I'd need something peppier. I don't intend to stream Netflix movies on this tablet.

2. "check Slatedroid and XDA Developers forums to see what support there is for any tablet you are considering." Thank you for more links on decent information.

3. "many Chinese tablets won't work with it because the maker won't pay Google for a license." Thank you for the explanation. "You are stuck with the meagre amount of apps supplied by the maker." That's what I want to avoid. I do want the ability to be able to add something.

Fran:

Looks like the Nexus 7 isn't on my list, if it doesn't have an sd slot. Also I already have a 7" netbook, I don't want a tablet that is 7".

I can read a book, if I wanted to on my ASUS netbook.

Thanks guys, I'll be the one not buying the Proscan and hanging out at the Slatedroid and XDA Developers forums to get some more names of tablets for my short list. :D

Edited by zlim

I don't need fast. I'm old, I'm slow, I don't do social networks. I don't stream. I don't do online games. I don't download email. I don't tweet.

What you require, isn't something I do. We don't have the same "computing" style.

• Like 1

Answering comments made in post so you will get a better feel for what I expect and what I do with a device.

securitybreach:

1. very low resolution 800x480 incorrect, the res is 800 x 600, same as my 7" ASUS netbook. Remember I have "seniors eyes". I use 1024 x 768 on most of the computers in the house.

2. saw that thread - seemed worthless because it was the only thread and I have no idea how willing to work at something the owner is. Some give up, I don't. I just have to learn from more than one thread whether it is doable or not.

3."you will not be able to install a normal Android OS and you will not be able to upgrade the device." Not something I want to do. I buy a device and use it. I don't want to tinker nor upgrade.

4. I do not need the latest and greatest so Ice Cream Sandwich or Jelly Bean doesn't matter to me.

5. I do want an sd slot so anything without I would cross off my list.

6. "Google+ is a social network and the Play Store is the Android app store." Thank you for clearing all of that up for me.

lewmur:

1. "Ever use a netbook with a 1.6 ghz Intel CPU? Super fast when compared to a 1ghz ARM." My ASUS uses Intel® Celeron M 353 and operates at 900MHz. I haven't overclocked it and it does the job of playing movies fine in linux that are on a sd card but I've never used the Android OS so I will assume I'd need something peppier. I don't intend to stream Netflix movies on this tablet.

2. "check Slatedroid and XDA Developers forums to see what support there is for any tablet you are considering." Thank you for more links on decent information.

3. "many Chinese tablets won't work with it because the maker won't pay Google for a license." Thank you for the explanation. "You are stuck with the meagre amount of apps supplied by the maker." That's what I want to avoid. I do want the ability to be able to add something.

Fran:

Looks like the Nexus 7 isn't on my list, if it doesn't have an sd slot. Also I already have a 7" netbook, I don't want a tablet that is 7".

I can read a book, if I wanted to on my ASUS netbook.

Thanks guys, I'll be the one not buying the Proscan and hanging out at the Slatedroid and XDA Developers forums to get some more names of tablets for my short list. :D

You might want to research something like this. Zenithink has good support in Slatedroid and Goolge Play Store works. Seems to meet all of your criteria.

Edited by lewmur

From what I've been reading the Google Nexus 7 is really good and probably the best Android tablet on the market. If you want a larger screen there is the ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity TF700T. I've used the first Transformer Prime back in January and it is pretty good, too.

• Like 2

Thanks peachy.

I just found this lewmur http://www.slatedroi...nt/tabletfinder

7 pages with 25 items per page. YIKES! At least I can quickly scratch off some candidates.

Well that was easy. I just quickly looked over the list and most aren't up to an Android v4. Knocked off everything 7" and smaller and I didn't see anything.

Notes to self:

1. capacitive not resistive touch

2. googleplay supported devices

http://support.googl...&answer=1727131

3. test if device is android compatible, meaning googleapps would work

http://source.android.com/compatibility/downloads.html

Edited by zlim

Hello,

I recently got a Google Nexus 7 (16GB variant) for personal use. Mostly to play around with my employer's software, but also as an eBook reader to consolidate all the different incompatible devices out there (mostly Amazon Kindle and B&N Nook, but also Kobo eReader, SONY, etc.) onto one device. Previously, I have owned B&N Nook Colors and Tablets, which provide a very... curated experience (private app and book stores).

The experience with the Nexus 7 is quite positive. The device is fast and responsive. The screen is of excellent quality and sufficient resolution to do web browsing and ebook reading for a long time. My device also came with a movie (something in the Transformers franchise) which I started to watch but stopped (movie quality was fine, movie subject was... uninteresting).

I installed a few hundred free apps when I got the device (went through the store and picked out all sorts of "top" ones) most of which I probably will not run. The variety, compared to my Windows Phone, is quite staggering. I've also installed a few commercial apps, when they were on sale for $0.25.

Also purchased were Google's own plastic case (purchased at same time as Nexus 7), and a Hand Stylus (via KickStarter). I am not too impressed by the case (fits nicely, but expensive for what it does and not too impressed with the screen cover portion). Now that specific custom cases are coming out for the device (as opposed to generic sleeves) I'm going to look into one of those. The stylus works fine (as did my Nook stylus).

I'm a bit annoyed by the lack of an integrated SDXC or MicroSDXC Card Reader, but it is somewhat understandable, given that Google doesn't sell SD Cards, they sell Google Drive. That said, I haven't filled my device up yet to the point where it has become problematic, and plan on adding a USB OTG cable to connect USB flash drives, card readers, Ethernet and so forth. While I'd prefer to have the expansion it offers, I'm not finding the lack of a card reader a major issue at this point. I do reserve the right to hope for a slim case which combines a keyboard, card reader and maybe even a USB hub or supplemental battery, though. And a stylus holder.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1

... as an eBook reader to consolidate all the different incompatible devices out there (mostly Amazon Kindle and B&N Nook, but also Kobo eReader, SONY, etc.) onto one device.

... ...

The device is fast and responsive. The screen is of excellent quality and sufficient resolution to do web browsing and ebook reading for a long time.

Different gizmo, same experience. This is what I bought a few weeks ago:

bKBugt4rZb4oPTbj_500.jpg

ASUS Transformer Pad TF300TG

Came with Ice Cream Sandwich, updated itself to Jelly Bean

Display: 10.1" (1280x800)

Internal storage: 32 GB

Interfaces:

Pad:

2-in-1 Audio Jack (Headphone / Mic-in)

micro HDMI

Micro SD Card Reader

SIM Card Slot (mobile broadband)

Mobile Dock (aka keyboard, sold separately — "a must buy", though):

USB 2.0 port

SD Card Reader

3G up to 21 Mb/s — although the built-in modem is 3-5 Mb/s slower than my Huawei E367 dongle... this is what I typically get with the built-in modem:

Screenshot_2012-09-18-18-08-32.jpg

securitybreach

Different gizmo, same experience. This is what I bought a few weeks ago:

Who is this stranger postings? :hysterical:

All kidding aside, welcome back Urmie; we have missed you!!!

Nice device but almost triple ($150) the cost of what he was planning on spending for a tablet.

almost triple ($150) the cost of what he was planning on spending for a tablet
securitybreach I'm a she not a he. My name is Liz.

Yeah, I crossed the ASUS Transformer off the list yesterday when I saw the price. My last two netbooks cost under $250 dollars each and I feel I get more out of them than I would a tablet.

Thanks guys for the very detailed personal experiences.

I didn't really want an eBook Reader and you get that. If I want to read an ebook, my ASUS 7" can do that.

Nexus 7 hmmm, maybe I can live without the slot. I do have a USB card holder that I slide my cards into and all the computers in the house have no problem seeing and using waht is on the sdhc and microsdhc cards. I'm not sure how large a card I can use because the device is old and might be limited.

The other thing holding me back is the 7" screen. I wanted something a bit larger because my ASUS can do basically what the 7" tablets can do. Then if I wait for the larger screen, understandably the price jumps up too. :teehee: See how hard I am to please and how I resist spending money? :hysterical:

I do a lot of research, reading and get as many opinions from people I know before I decide yeah or neigh.

I really appreciate all the posts you have made.

Liz,

When I read your initial post about just wanted a tablet that worked, I immediately thought of the iPad. My mother in Law bought one a while back and absolutely loves it. I don't think she really uses her computer much anymore. I did have to get her up to speed since an iPad is so different than a PC or laptop, but she is very happy with it.

Granted, the price of entry is higher than you wanted to spend, but in my Mother in Law's case, it was perfect.

Adam

Sorry, I do not want an iPad. In fact, I do not want an Apple product. I chose a SanDisk Clip+ over iPod and if I ever get a smart phone, it won't be an iPhone.

When I say I want it to just work, that doesn't mean I want to just touch the screen and do things mindlessly. I am willing to learn - that is part of this exercise in seeing if a tablet is a good fit for me. I do want to use the apps I'm familiar with. My hubby might just grab the tablet and I want him to know how to use it without me having to teach him a different OS. It is hard enough getting him away from an old version of Windows to a newer. (Yes, he is still clinging to that 2K computer even though the XP computer is on a KVM switch right aside of the 2K one). I told him XP will be obsolete before he ever turns that one on!

Come 2013, the 2K will be moved to the other side of the basement and he will be forced to use the XP computer. I then bring in a Win 7 and try and get him to learn that.

• Like 2

There is a learning curve for Android, iOS, and Windows Phone/Windows 8, etc. A tablet is a fundamentally different device. I personally think that Apple's iOS makes the transition about as easy as it can be, while still remaining powerful enough to do a great deal. That is just my opinion....

Liz, I am wondering why not Apple at all. Is it the way the company conducts itself? I am mainly curious, not trying to sway you either way.

Adam

• Like 1