Laptop for College Student

theHammer

Knowing that Vista is down the road how important is one of the new dual core processors, 1 M of memory and the 64 dollar question. I say it that way because I am totally unfamiliar with processors and possibly the new dual core are 64 bit - but maybe I am looking at two variables. Any way would appreciate advice (friend already as settled on a Dell laptop) on these three items knowing that the student is a music major, a brilliant individual but not planning on taking rocket science. I have read the Microsoft page on their hardware recommendations but it is hardly definitive.Ed

Knowing that Vista is down the road how important is one of the new dual core processors, 1 M of memory and the 64 dollar question. I say it that way because I am totally unfamiliar with processors and possibly the new dual core are 64 bit - but maybe I am looking at two variables. Any way would appreciate advice (friend already as settled on a Dell laptop) on these three items knowing that the student is a music major, a brilliant individual but not planning on taking rocket science. I have read the Microsoft page on their hardware recommendations but it is hardly definitive.Ed
IMO, anything over the basics is wasted on a college student's computer unless they are studying Graphic Arts. They can write papers, do research and join study groups just as well on a $500 computer as one that cost $5000. And they certainly don't need Vista.

Well, I'd disagree. The minimum specs for any computer I would say should be 1GB RAM and possibly 2GB. More memory will give you better battery mileage for one thing: less hard drive paging file activity. An 80-120GB hard drive is what a student will comfortably require, knowing college students. B) Don't assume that the student is going to do just word processing, email and web browsing. Is the student wanting to play 3D games? An ATI X600 or better GPU or Nvidia GeForce to Go. If they are in a computer science programme they will definitely benefit from 2GB RAM if they plan on running virtual machine software, Visual Studio, etc.So, before we can give you a definitive answer, what programme are they going to study? The sweet spot is probably a 15" notebook in the $1,000-$1,400 range. At this time only the AMD Turion 64 will give you a 64-bit notebook. Intel's Core Duo and Core Solo chips are still 32-bit. Their 64-bit Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Solo (Merom) CPU won't be available until after July. 64-bitness is only important if you plan on running Vista at some point, but if it's not within the next 2 years, don't bother paying the premium for a 64-bit CPU, unless the price difference is negligible. From my own personal experience I prefer ASUS notebooks. I've heard good things about the IBM X60, the Acer TravelMate Series, and in terms of price/performance, the Dell Inspiron E1505 is apparently a winner.

You guys are trying to make me think, with opinions at both extremes. Peachy just taught me enough about processors that I think I best find out what specific laptop was being considered when the chip question arose. I am liable to be back in the market too in a couple of years. I'll get back. Now I should add, Peachy, that I mentioned a music major, now being an engineer I have no idea what program of study that implies<g> - but I suspect not a lot of heavy computational. However many people with artistic talent in one media often have artistic talent in another, such as graphics and that could have some impact on the specs. You can guess I am envious - have no artistic talent. Ed

Graphics, assuming no 3d modeling, will not usually tax a processor too much. The big thing if graphics are involved may be RAM (I would stay with Peach'y suggestion) and hard drive space.;)Adam

When ordering RAM for a laptop, make sure it is in a single slot. 1GB should be in a single slot. If you get that 1GB in two slots (512MB each) and you need to add more memory later you will be throwing away memory. With an open memory slot you can add 512MB or another 1GB without tossing memory away.Hard drives should be the fastest you can afford. 5400 to 7200 rpm drives will make your laptop experience just like a desktop performance wise.If Vista is a future consideration, most if not all laptop manufactures are now identifying their models as Vista Ready if they have the hardware specs to run Vista.

No offense to Marsden and Peachy, but not everyone is a gotta-have-the-latest-and-greatest person. You also seem to forget that not everyone can afford it.theHammer, it would help if we knew exactly what your needs are. What do you need to get out of the computer? What, precisely, will you be using it for? Are you going to be doing 3D design or animation; or video editing? Are you going to be making office documents and spreadsheets?What you do and don't need in a computer depends entirely on what you will use the computer for.

Edited by epp_b

epp_b,Have you seen the new 13" MacBook starting at $1,099? To me, $1,000 for a notebook is a pretty good price. I'd agree with you that spend what you can comfortably afford. On the other hand, there was no budget mentionned so, we recommended the optimal configuration.

How responsible is the college student? Laptops walk off easily in college dorms. If the person is the type to let things lying around and not lock doors, I would not suggest a real expensive notebook. I also know a college student who let someone use his computer and the friend spilled liquid on the keyboard. Another reason to consider a cheaper model.

I thank you all and will send this off this evening to my "old" friend. I said daughter but meant grand daughter and she is a gifted musician and a very responsible young lady - so those factor do not dictate economy. Unfortunately I do not know her other interests and they should influence the decision but you have certainly given me and there the grandfather some useful information to digest. I do know he favors a Dell so will be interesting which one he selects.Thanks, Ed

I also know a college student who let someone use his computer and the friend spilled liquid on the keyboard. Another reason to consider a cheaper model.
With anything of value, it never hurts to get insurance. (Better safe than sorry.) I have a 3 year extended "I drop it and it explodes into 100 pieces and HP ships me a new one for free" warranty. It does not matter if I spill my soda all over it, drop it in the hot tub, or it falls off the balcony ledge and plummets 3 stories onto concrete. I'm covered.That kind of insurance does not care how much you paid up front!

I do not know her other interests and they should influence the decision
That's important. Ear training and other music software don't require much of hardware, but the other interests probably would.
temmu ducks and runs while being pelted with tomatoes from marsden11!
It's just tomatoes, brother. Run only when 100 pieces from the broken laptop fly your way.

Guest LilBambi

Oh and in the words of 'Ernest Hemingway,' buy a lot of ram (from one of "3 Dead Trolls in a Baggie" comedy bits).For about $200 more from what I understand, you can get that 'glass' built-in cover for the display as well. It's worth every penny from those I've been able to play with for clients.