Removing old kernel

twistedcranium

twistedcranium

I'm preparing to update the kernel I'm using in RH 9 through the up2date package. I understand that after the setup I'll have two kernels installed on my machine. How do I go about removing the older kernel once I am comfy with the new one?

B) I think it's just a matter of deleting the binaries and source code but you better wait for more expert advice in case you stuff it up.

Hope you have a link to your new kernel in /boot. And it has a different number behind it as the old one. Then you can remove the old vmlinuz by ¨rm /boot/vmlinuz¨ ( or vmlinuz-xxx, where xxx is the number of the old kernel, but in most cases the old one does not have a number behind it )Removing it does not save that much space though, hardly 1 MB. B) Bruno

Guest LilBambi

I usually leave the old kernel there and add the new one to lilo (or grub is that's what you use) as a separate entry.That way if there is a problem with the new kernel for some reason, you can still boot with a known good kernel and fix the problem.