Arch Go Crash Boom Bang

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

The last update I did the other night seemed to have corrupted my kernel. I had to boot the fallback kernel and then reinstall the latest kernel again. After that, all seems well.You know, I haven't thought about this really, but it sure is nice to have acquired enough knowledge and experience with GNU/Linux that it's really not that big of a deal to recover from some of these things these days. Of course, now that I say that...0_61_nuclear_blast.jpg :hysterical:

I had a similar experience on aptosid. Not a corrupt kernel as it still booted to console, but Nvidia driver wouldn't build on 2.6.38 due to removal of BKL (whatever that is). Apparently it's not actually needed by Nvidia, but a we have to wait for a new driver to address the problem. I just reverted to 2.6.37 to fix it for now.See http://aptosid.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2...topic&t=962

Kind of odd, I have not had any issues.
I read that it's an issue for aptosid kernel as they already implemented the BKL removal patch, but hasn't been implemented in vanilla kernel yet. It will be soon, so hopefully Nvidia driver devs will remove the dependency soon.

I'm afraid I'm going to blow my Arch install up! I have not ran an update in a looong while because for some reason the site I typically use was giving some error. So I keep putting it off thinking it will correct itself but no. I recently changed the preference to a new site and now it wants to do the update but I'm thinking it will toast my install..Whats the best way to proceed, if there is one?

securitybreach
I'm afraid I'm going to blow my Arch install up! I have not ran an update in a looong while because for some reason the site I typically use was giving some error. So I keep putting it off thinking it will correct itself but no. I recently changed the preference to a new site and now it wants to do the update but I'm thinking it will toast my install..Whats the best way to proceed, if there is one?
Cross your fingers and hope for the best. :thumbsup: With a rolling distro, you need to update frequently as some things might break otherwise.

V.T. Eric Layton

How long has it been, Matt? Can you give and estimate?I let my Arch go for a few months without updating once. It went crash, boom, bang that time. :thumbsup:

It's definitely been a few months! :thumbsup: So if I try to update I get:

error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies):: package-query: requires pacman<3.5:: pacman-color: requires pacman=3.4.3
Then quits.. I tried:
pacman -Qs pacmanlocal/pacman 3.4.3-1 (base) A library-based package manager with dependency supportlocal/pacman-color 3.4.3-1 Command-line frontend for libalpm aka pacman with color patchlocal/pacman-mirrorlist 20101223-1 Arch Linux mirror list for use by pacmanlocal/yaourt 0.9.5.1-1 A pacman wrapper with extended features and AUR support
what do I do here? Edited by cybrmat

V.T. Eric Layton

I'm still having intermittent booting problems with Arch. About 1 in 3 boots gives me a warning like this:

Error: Root device mounted successfully, but /sbin/init does not exist.Bailing out, you are on your own. Good Luck[ramfs /]#

I ran across a posting on the ArchBBS where someone resolved their issue by doing what I did below here:

root_Arch/boot:# cp kernel26-fallback.img kernel26-fallback.img_backuproot_Arch/boot:# cp kernel26.img kernel26.img_backuproot_Arch/boot:# mkinitcpio -p kernel26==> Building image "default"==> Running command: /sbin/mkinitcpio -k 2.6.37-ARCH -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/kernel26.img:: Begin build:: Parsing hook [base]:: Parsing hook [udev]:: Parsing hook [autodetect]:: Parsing hook [pata]:: Parsing hook [scsi]:: Parsing hook [sata]:: Parsing hook [filesystems]:: Generating module dependencies:: Generating image '/boot/kernel26.img'...SUCCESS==> SUCCESS==> Building image "fallback"==> Running command: /sbin/mkinitcpio -k 2.6.37-ARCH -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/kernel26-fallback.img -S autodetect:: Begin build:: Parsing hook [base]:: Parsing hook [udev]:: Parsing hook [pata]:: Parsing hook [scsi]:: Parsing hook [sata]:: Parsing hook [filesystems]:: Generating module dependencies:: Generating image '/boot/kernel26-fallback.img'...SUCCESS==> SUCCESS

I rebooted OK... this next time. However, this is intermittent. You know, I actually had this issue with another installation of Arch a long time ago. I never did resolve it then. I think a reinstall fixed it that time. That's a big hammer fix, though. I don't want to have to do it that way this time.Funny that my yaourt doesn't work anymore and this started just recently. This has to have been caused by some update. I haven't done anything to the Arch install to cause it. :yes:

securitybreach

Maybe the breakage is caused but your lack of upgrading often. Who knows since I have not witnessed either issue on 5 Arch machines here. Also, what does your /boot/grub/menulist look like?

This is one thing I've notice about Bodhi - the auto-updater which runs in UE is missing. On the other hand, perhaps it's not necessary, since Bodhi is build on the Ubuntu 10,4 LTS Lucid Lynx while UE is built on 10.10 Maverick Meerkat.

This is one thing I've notice about Bodhi - the auto-updater which runs in UE is missing.
Of course Bodhi has an auto-updater. It auto-updates every time you run
apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade

:yes: :)

V.T. Eric Layton
Maybe the breakage is caused but your lack of upgrading often. Who knows since I have not witnessed either issue on 5 Arch machines here. Also, what does your /boot/grub/menulist look like?
Was this directed at me? If so, the days of my not updating regularly ended when Arch got promoted to my backup OS. I actually read your Arch Updates thread every day now... and -Syu no less frequently than every other day.Standard entries on my menu.lst for Arch:
# (2) Arch64title  Arch Linux Secondaryroot   (hd0,4)kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sdc5 ro# Arch OS sees SATA0 (sda) as sdcinitrd /boot/kernel26.img

V.T. Eric Layton

It booted fine this morning. I'll boot into Arch a few more times today to see if the problem shows its ugly face again. I think the initrd was not compiled properly in the last kernel update. By forcing it to recompile manually, I may have fixed it. We'll see...

securitybreach
It booted fine this morning. I'll boot into Arch a few more times today to see if the problem shows its ugly face again. I think the initrd was not compiled properly in the last kernel update. By forcing it to recompile manually, I may have fixed it. We'll see...
Oh ok, cool ;)

Of course Bodhi has an auto-updater. It auto-updates every time you run
apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade

:D :D

Actually I appreciate your mentioning that. It's one of those things I "knew" but wasn't thinking of.

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, I did NOT fix my intermittent Arch boot issue, apparently. It's still intermittent. :D

If it helps at all. I ahve been Syu'ing every couple of days and have recently installed yaourt and everything is working just fine. I don't have a great deal of programs installed so maybe one of your programs is causing the glitch. Just a thought. :hysterical:

Oddly, I have been pacman -Syu and it keeps saying Archlinuxfr, $arch is part of architecture but not recognized. Something along those lines. This has been added to my pacman.conf file per Josh's guidance. Once I comment the Archlinuxfr out and run pacman -Syu it shows me all of the packages that are newer than core, extra and community? So no updates can be made??Ian

securitybreach
Oddly, I have been pacman -Syu and it keeps saying Archlinuxfr, $arch is part of architecture but not recognized. Something along those lines. This has been added to my pacman.conf file per Josh's guidance. Once I comment the Archlinuxfr out and run pacman -Syu it shows me all of the packages that are newer than core, extra and community? So no updates can be made??Ian
Ian, just changer $arch to your architecture. For 64bit:
or for 32bit:
I do not know why it is complaining for you since I have yet to have a problem but that should fix it for you. To fix the packages newer than, do this:
pacman -Scc

to remove your cache. Then run pacman -Syy to refresh your package list and then pacman -Syuf

Eric, I am not for sure why you are experiencing these issues, sorry :hysterical:
My mirrorlist has,
Server = http://repo.archlinux.fr/$arch

Never needed to change anything.Could it be a typo that is causing problems ?

Oddly, I have been pacman -Syu and it keeps saying Archlinuxfr, $arch is part of architecture but not recognized.
B)

@abarbarian I double checked the spelling and it does show

{Archlinuxfr}Server = http://repo.archlinux.fr/$arch

@Josh - Thanks for the tip, I will be trying that hopefully this evening. :)All the best,Ian

securitybreach
@abarbarian I double checked the spelling and it does show
{Archlinuxfr}Server = http://repo.archlinux.fr/$arch

@Josh - Thanks for the tip, I will be trying that hopefully this evening. :)All the best,Ian

I know why, it is a typo. Those { } should be brackets [ ]

I know why, it is a typo. Those { } should be brackets [ ]
Trust me to get the it right and wrong at the same time :hysterical: B) Well spotted :thumbsup:

Hi...I just saw this and had a question about updates.....I've never really messed with them, I don't really understand it, I always thought that if it's working fine now, it will just keep on running...so my question is this. If I have installed a working flavor of Linux, in my case Slackware 13.1 and never run up-dates, will I experience a melt down? Are updates necessary? If I do have a major crash, will I see the mushroom cloud like the pic Eric posted at the beginning of this topic?!!Windy as sin here in S.E. Virginia....

securitybreach
Hi...I just saw this and had a question about updates.....I've never really messed with them, I don't really understand it, I always thought that if it's working fine now, it will just keep on running...so my question is this. If I have installed a working flavor of Linux, in my case Slackware 13.1 and never run up-dates, will I experience a melt down? Are updates necessary? If I do have a major crash, will I see the mushroom cloud like the pic Eric posted at the beginning of this topic?!!Windy as sin here in S.E. Virginia....
No, you do not have to install updates but you may miss a security update or two. The reason you need to keep updating a rolling distro, is because things change so quickly. If you do not update for awhile, and then try to update you may fry your installation.Back to Eric's issue, have you gotten anywhere?