40 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   wa4chq

wa4chq

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 06:59 AM

Cheap Christmas gifts could be had from Spencers.  I think my dad still has the Farah Fawcett poster I gave him.

Posted Image
REGISTERED LINUX USER #547579

#27 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,619 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 08:11 AM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 02 May 2019 - 11:38 AM, said:

View Postwa4chq, on 02 May 2019 - 09:13 AM, said:

ummm....yeah....... that's what I'm talking about :blink2:.....  I remember seeing that ^^^ at Spencers Gifts, in the Black-Light poster section...

HAHAHA! Spencer's Gifts.... that brings back some memories trolling the mall when I was 13 years old. Spencer's was a fav hangout for the pothead crowd, of which I was a certified member at that time. ;)

Same here B)

Holy crap, they are still around: https://www.spencersonline.com/
Posted ImagePosted Image
Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#28 OFFLINE   wa4chq

wa4chq

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 08:59 AM

View Postsecuritybreach, on 03 May 2019 - 08:11 AM, said:

ummm....yeah....... that's what I'm talking about :blink2:.....  I remember seeing that ^^^ at Spencers Gifts, in the Black-Light poster section...

HAHAHA! Spencer's Gifts.... that brings back some memories trolling the mall when I was 13 years old. Spencer's was a fav hangout for the pothead crowd, of which I was a certified member at that time. ;)

Same here B)

I lived in Virginia Beach when I first wandered the aisles there and then I moved in 1980....  I'm gonna say my whole Spencer's experience was late 60's to late 70's.  Are you experienced?

Posted Image

#29 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,756 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 10:24 AM

> ... my whole Spencer's experience was late 60's to late 70's.  Are you experienced?

My Spencer's time was probably '76 - '80 or so. There was a big mall built in my neighborhood in '74. It was called Tampa Bay Center. Prior to that there was a small dairy farm on that property and some swampy woods where me and my chums used to run around and play. The mall closed in 2002 and later became the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (NFL) training facility and extra parking for Raymond James Stadium, which is right across the street from it.

Somebody blogged about TBC HERE.

Ahhh... the memories of my misspent ute.
Posted Image

Posted Image Support Slackware: https://paypal.me/volkerdi

#30 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,619 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 07:19 PM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 03 May 2019 - 10:24 AM, said:

> ... my whole Spencer's experience was late 60's to late 70's.  Are you experienced?

My Spencer's time was probably '76 - '80 or so. There was a big mall built in my neighborhood in '74. It was called Tampa Bay Center. Prior to that there was a small dairy farm on that property and some swampy woods where me and my chums used to run around and play. The mall closed in 2002 and later became the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (NFL) training facility and extra parking for Raymond James Stadium, which is right across the street from it.

Somebody blogged about TBC HERE.

Ahhh... the memories of my misspent ute.

I went to Spencers in the 80s and 90s.
Posted ImagePosted Image

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#31 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,733 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 05:36 AM

Fond memories of this,

https://en.wikipedia...Marks_&_Spencer

Mind you we called it by several names depending on where you lived. :breakfast:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#32 OFFLINE   wa4chq

wa4chq

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 07:36 AM

View Postsecuritybreach, on 03 May 2019 - 08:11 AM, said:

I just took a look at this....they're selling the same stuff they sold when I was a kid....in some cases it could be the same stuff, they just sorta went overboard on stocking the warehouse.

"Boss, trust me on this....there'll be a Lava Lamp in every home!!"

Posted Image

#33 OFFLINE   wa4chq

wa4chq

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 07:45 AM

View Postabarbarian, on 04 May 2019 - 05:36 AM, said:

Fond memories of this,

https://en.wikipedia...Marks_&_Spencer

Mind you we called it by several names depending on where you lived. :breakfast:

I don't remember shopping at M&S when I was there (mid 80's) but I did shop at Posted Image

Edited by wa4chq, 04 May 2019 - 07:45 AM.

Posted Image

#34 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,756 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 09:46 AM

View Postwa4chq, on 04 May 2019 - 07:36 AM, said:

..they're selling the same stuff they sold when I was a kid...

Heh! I also remember that they had a kinky sex toy aisle at the mall store; kinky for that time period, anyway. The young boys with raging hormones would visit that aisle often and dream. ;)
Posted Image

#35 OFFLINE   wa4chq

wa4chq

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 10:25 AM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 04 May 2019 - 09:46 AM, said:

Heh! I also remember that they had a kinky sex toy aisle at the mall store; kinky for that time period, anyway. The young boys with raging hormones would visit that aisle often and dream. ;)
Now I think you have to show an I.D. to go down that aisle....

Posted Image

#36 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,619 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 10:28 AM

View Postwa4chq, on 04 May 2019 - 10:25 AM, said:

D*** adults, always ruining the fun.. :hysterical:

I am glad that I grew up in a time when kids did dangerous things like built ramps and see how high you could launch off of it. I got hurt so many times as a kid.. In the summer, we were not allowed indoors during the day. "Here is jug of kool-aide, have fun." and we wouldn't come home till dark. Nowadays, parents get arrested for letting their kid play in the front yard without supervision.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#37 OFFLINE   wa4chq

wa4chq

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 11:15 AM

View Postsecuritybreach, on 04 May 2019 - 10:28 AM, said:

View Postwa4chq, on 04 May 2019 - 10:25 AM, said:

D*** adults, always ruining the fun.. :hysterical:

I am glad that I grew up in a time when kids did dangerous things like built ramps and see how high you could launch off of it. I got hurt so many times as a kid.. In the summer, we were not allowed indoors during the day. "Here is jug of kool-aide, have fun." and we wouldn't come home till dark. Nowadays, parents get arrested for letting their kid play in the front yard without supervision.

Ain't that the truth!  Glad I'm not an adult growing up now!  :teehee:

Posted Image

#38 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,619 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 11:39 AM

:hysterical:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#39 OFFLINE   crp

crp

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 08:24 PM

"was" ?
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. ~C. S. Lewis

#40 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,619 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 08:25 PM

View Postcrp, on 05 May 2019 - 08:24 PM, said:

"was" ?

Well not many people go to the mall anymore.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#41 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,756 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 10:01 PM

View Postcrp, on 05 May 2019 - 08:24 PM, said:

"was" ?

Yup. Was. I haven't touched the stuff since 1985.

View Postsecuritybreach, on 05 May 2019 - 08:25 PM, said:

Well not many people go to the mall anymore.

I can't even remember the last time I was in a mall. It's probably been 10 years or more.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users