D-Link dwl650+ Driver Trouble

yellowpike

Hey Ya'llI have a REAL problem using a D-Link DWL 650+ wireless card on a Gateway Solo 1450 running XP Home (SP1). It had been connected for about 5 weeks when suddenly the machine went "blue screen", auto rebooted and was unable to reestablish connection. Also found a number of other driver related problems and went for an XP reinstall (wanted to partition anyway).From a clean OS, as was the case prior, I am unable to reinstall the 650+. Several attempts following D-Link tech support (email) and advice from MS MVP folks (outstanding people) have been unsuccessful . D-Link believes it to be an OS problem. I suspect it to be a D-Link driver problem with XP Home (perhaps only with oem version).I'm running another 650+ on an XP Pro machine and have no problems. I have also tested the card from the "troubled" machine and it works fine on the Pro.My question is.....Has anyone else had similar problems the dwl650+ drivers and XP home?I'm happy to provide more details to anyone interested.Best Wishesyellowpike

Why not try the "troubled" D-link on the other machine and the D-link that works on the machine in question?It could be a bad port on the Gateway Solo. In that case, device drivers or OS help is not going to work.

Yellowlink,I am having the same problem with my 650. It was working fine with XP home. I had a bad shut down with quite a few apps open. Scandisk wiped out a lot of stuff. I formatted the hard drive, reinstalled XPHome. Office 2000 and a few work apps. I haven't been able to get the 650 to work since (3 weeks). I down loaded the updated drivers that D-Link suggested - no help. I am wondering if one of the security fixes from Microsoft caused it, but D-Link should be aware of those also. I can only use the modem when traveling, but it is really a pain to use dial up at home when I have a DSL connection/wi-fi router.

I don't know if this is related, but there is a known problem with the DLink AirPlus application and standby/hibernate. If AirpPlus is running during a hibernate/standby it can blue-screen. I used to have this problem but now I exit the AirPlus application before hibernating and all is well again.

Thanks for the re's gangThis is interesting. Last night I put the "troubled"card card in the "troubled" laptop, booted and bang I was connected (using WZC not D-Link utility). After about an hour (and a defrag) I removed the card, reinserted it and I was prompted by the "found new hardware" wizard about a PCI device I was unable to install and was unable to connect with the card.Now keep in mind that when you install this card you are prompted for a "network controller" not a PCI device.From Device Manager I uninstalled the PCI device, removed the card, and shut down for the night. This morning, after reading Marsden11's suggestion I swapped both cards, booted both and I'm connected on BOTH the XP Pro with the "troubled" card and the XP Home with the "untroubled card". I'm "stress testing" this setup as we speak and I'll re back results, but so far it's like the "trouble" card dosen't like the "troubled" laptop (real scientific eh ?).bigd have you tried to install the card drivers without also installing D-Links configuration utility ?That was a suggestion I received from an MS MVP and is in fact how the XP Home machine is now connected. But I should add this was also how it was connected when I lost it last night. (friggin' confussing I know).khisel I do not have hibernation active. That was one of my first approaches to this problem but it was not the culprit.Again my THANKS to you all, and I'll keep you posted (pun intended...hardy har har)yellowpike

As of this morning, I'm still connected through wireless on both laptops .With the "untroubled" card connected to the XP Home machine on a startup, the wireless connection icon in the active tray as well as the one shown in Network Connections have the red X (disconnected). ipconfig shows media disconnected as well !This despite the fact I can access internet,email, and Network Places.If I remove, then reinsert the card, the red X disappears and all is well. Device Manager shows NO problems.I'm still prone to believe that there is a problem with the D-Link drivers and XP Home.Please feel free to comment...regardsyellowpike

• 2 years later...
As of this morning, I'm still connected through wireless on both laptops .With the "untroubled" card connected to the XP Home machine on a startup, the wireless connection icon in the active tray as well as the one shown in Network Connections have the red X (disconnected). ipconfig shows media disconnected as well !This despite the fact I can access internet,email, and Network Places.If I remove, then reinsert the card, the red X disappears and all is well. Device Manager shows NO problems.I'm still prone to believe that there is a problem with the D-Link drivers and XP Home.Please feel free to comment...regardsyellowpike

Hey Ya'llI have a REAL problem using a D-Link  DWL 650+ wireless card on a Gateway Solo 1450 running XP Home  (SP1). It had been connected for about 5 weeks when suddenly the machine went "blue screen", auto rebooted and was unable to reestablish connection. Also found a number of other driver related problems and went for an XP reinstall (wanted to partition anyway).From a clean OS, as was the case prior,  I am unable to reinstall the 650+. Several attempts following D-Link tech support (email) and advice from MS MVP folks (outstanding people) have been unsuccessful . D-Link believes it to be an OS problem. I suspect it to be a D-Link driver problem with XP Home (perhaps only with oem version).I'm running another 650+ on an XP Pro machine and have no problems. I have also tested the card from the "troubled" machine and it works fine on the Pro.My question is.....Has anyone else had similar problems the dwl650+ drivers and XP home?I'm happy to provide more details to anyone interested.Best Wishesyellowpike

I had a 650+ I wound up trading for a 630. The 650 would cause my HP ze4600 to crash when operating on batteries. Neither DLink not HP were able to solve the problem.