windows 95 startup

tony

HiI have a laptop running windows 95, its for the kids so dont really know what has caused this problem.It wont start windows so i have formated the laptop.When i restart it it shows " invalid system disk abort/retry/"i have the windows 95 cd and a recovery diskette but dont know if this is for 95 or 98if i start with recovery discette in floppy drive screen shows- drive E: = driver msc001 unit 0.then it flicks to A:\>please help,if only to keep the kids quiet,Tony.

James M. Fisher

Welcome to Scot's forums Tony!At the A:\ prompt, type setup and Windows install should start. Have the Windows CD in the drive.The message you see is telling you that the CD drive was recognized by the boot floppy.

Edited by James M. Fisher

For a quicker install and to avoid setup not finding the CD at restart, create a folder in C: (or D: if this exists) and copy the setup files in E: to this folder. Then run setup.exe from this folder.at the a:\> type in:c: <and press Enter>at c:\> type in:md win95 <Enter>e: <and press Enter>at e:\> type in:copy *.* c:\win95 <and press Enter>after it has copied all files, type in:c: <and press Enter>cd win95 <and press Enter>setup.exe <and press Enter>

Welcome to Scot's forums Tony!At the A:\ prompt, type setup and Windows install should start. Have the Windows CD in the drive.The message you see is telling you that the CD drive was recognized by the boot floppy.
Hi JamesHave tried what you said and dont seem to be having too much luck, as i restart the laptop with no floppy or c.d in all i get is --- Invalid system disk, replace disk and press any key.If i try it with the Win 95 c.d and press a key i can here the drive start up but nothing changes on screen.Have just found out that the recovery diskette is for Windows 98 and not 95 as first thought.any more ideas?Regards,Tony.p.s is it as simple as just getting a windows 95 recovery diskette or should i be able to do this from the windows 95 c.d ?
Hi James,Me again, forgot to mention that when i try A:\>setup, all i get is Bad command or file name.I have now disregarded anything to do with the floppy as this wont work anyway.Should i be looking at formating the laptop and concentrating on the c.d side of things?Regards,Tony.

Based on your earlier post, I'm assuming that your CD drive is drive E: and that the boot floppy recognised it.In case the CD isn't in the path, Try this:

• Boot to the floppyPut the Windows CD in the CD drive.At the A prompt type "E:" (w/o the quotes, E and a colon)Press "Enter"At the E prompt type "setup" Press "Enter"

If I'm wrong about the drive letter of the CD, substitute "D:" (or whatever it is) in the above.

Edited by Pete!

At the A: prompt you should be typing E:\setup (or whatever the CD drive letter is). If you just type setup from the A: prompt the pc thinks the setup files are on A: and throws up the message about invalid system disk. I use a Win98SE floppy for all older Windows' installs so it shouldn't make any difference which one you have.

Basically greengeek is correct.Just had a peek at a win95 disk : At the A:\> prompt type E:\ and then hit enterThen at the E:\> prompt type setup.exe then hit enter againIf it gives you a message like "this file cannot be run in DOS mode" ,then there's another option you could try :At the A:\> prompt type E:\ and then hit enterThen at the E:\> prompt type cd E:\WIN95Then at the E:\WIN95:\> prompt type SETUP.EXEthat should do it.

Edited by striker

Basically greengeek is correct.Just had a peek at a win95 disk : At the A:\> prompt type E:\ and then hit enterThen at the E:\> prompt type setup.exe then hit enter againIf it gives you a message like "this file cannot be run in DOS mode" ,then there's another option you could try :At the A:\> prompt type E:\ and then hit enterThen at the E:\> prompt type cd E:\WIN95Then at the E:\WIN95:\> prompt type SETUP.EXEthat should do it.
I've become dizzy after reading this thread. B) Welcome to the forum Tony. B)

Tony, a Win98 boot floppy should still work for Win95. If you want to download a new Boot Floppy, you can download one here:http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
Hi James,I have tried the link with a new copy of windows 95 floppy.If i type what i see this might help.CD-ROM Device Driver for IDE (Four channels supported)© Copyright oak technology inc. 1993-1996Driver version : v340Devise name : bananaTransfer mode : Programmed I/0Drive 0: Port= 1fo (primary Channel), Slave IRQ=14Firmware Version : 16SIMSCDEX Version 2.25Copyright © Microsoft Corp. 1986-1985. All rights reserved. Drive R: = Driver BANANA unit 0A:\>Does this meen c.d drive is now R ?If so i have changed prompt to R and tried "SETUP", you can hear the drive power up but all that happens is that a new R prompt appears.Hope this helps because its taken me ages to type it all !!Thanks to everyone for your help with the laptop, lets hope we can sort it before the laptop finds its way outside, through the nearest window !!Thanks again,Tony.

Have you tried replacing E with R in posting nr.10 above ?
HiYes tried that when i thought c.d drive was R, now after all that both E + R are showing invalid drive specification.Only A, B, C, seem to show on prompt.HELP !!!The kids are driving me mad !Tony.

OK Tony, let's try to tackle this little problem... At the A:\> prompt type B:\ and hit enterIf the prompt stays at A:\> now, then try C, D and so on UNTIL it stays at a drive letter.Then behind that prompt type DIR and post back what it reveals.This way we can try to locate where the cd drive is now, because when you type the correct drive letter for it, the following DIR command might show you the contents of the cd in the drive, which should be the install disk.

OK Tony, let's try to tackle this little problem... At the A:\> prompt type B:\ and hit enterIf the prompt stays at A:\> now, then try C, D and so on UNTIL it stays at a drive letter.Then behind that prompt type DIR and post back what it reveals.This way we can try to locate where the cd drive is now, because when you type the correct drive letter for it, the following DIR command might show you the contents of the cd in the drive, which should be the install disk.
Hi StrikerRestarted and it came up with A:\>when i came to type B:\ it wouldn't let me use the back slash tried without and, Insert diskette for drive B: and press any key, when any key is pressed B:\> appears.C seems o.k but still no \D invalid drive spec, prompt stays on CE invalid drive specC:\>dirVolume in drive C has no labelVolume serial number is 2d24-09e5Directory of C:\Win 95 <dir> 05-25-80 10:54a 0 file(s) 0 bytes 1 dir(s) 1,684,275,200 bytes freeC:\>Hope this helps,Regards,Tony.
Hi StrikerRestarted and it came up with A:\>when i came to type B:\ it wouldn't let me use the back slash tried without and, Insert diskette for drive B: and press any key, when any key is pressed B:\> appears.C seems o.k but still no \D invalid drive spec, prompt stays on CE invalid drive specC:\>dirVolume in drive C has no labelVolume serial number is 2d24-09e5Directory of C:\Win 95 <dir> 05-25-80 10:54a 0 file(s) 0 bytes 1 dir(s) 1,684,275,200 bytes freeC:\>Hope this helps,Regards,Tony.
HiR prompt now working and have typed R:\>DIRgot list of files Can let you know if it will helpTony.

That would be helpful, Tony.
R:\>dirVolume in drive R is CDCOMPDirectory of R:\ADMIN <DIR> 01-17-96 5:11PAUTORUN <DIR> 01-17-96 5:11PAUTORUN INF 61 07-11-95 9:50ACDEXPO <DIR> 01-17-96 5:12PDATALINK <DIR> 01-17-96 5:12PDRIVERS <DIR> 01-17-96 5;19PFUNSTUFF <DIR> 01-17-96 5:22PHELP <DIR> 01-17-96 5;38POTHER <DIR> 01-17-96 5:38PPRODUCTS <DIR> 01-17-96 6:13PREADME TEXT 7,302 07-11-95 9:50ASETUP EXE 3,664 07-11-95 9:50AWIN95 <DIR> 01-17-96 6;45P 3 FILE(S) 11,027 BYTES 10 DIR(S) 0 BYTES FREER:\>hope that helps Regards,Tony.
I'm back,Sounds good Tony, together with James we're trying to master it.
Cheers GuysTony.

OK, another try:at the R:\> prompt type cd WIN95then at the R\WIN95:\> prompt type setup.exeand post back when you can.
Bad command or file nameScreen went as ----R:\>cd win95R:\WIN95>setup.exeBad command or file nameR:\WIN95>