Installing Mandriva from 4CDs

Dense

:rolleyes: when installing from the 4CD version as CP has done the install nvidia drivers do not work.He gets a different kernel version than i did when i downloaded from ftp. mine is -2.6.17-.5mdv and his is completely different, ithink somthing like 2.6.12 or somthing like that i know there was a 12 instead of a 17 like mine. So he does not know which to choose when there is 3 options to choose from. He has tried to install the nvidia drivers several times to no sucess. He has also tried to download from ftp like i did but it always hangs and never finishes. Any ideas ? :whistling:

Hi DenseThe 2.6.12 kernel was the one from Mandriva 2006 . . . . so I think you are mistaken there . . . If you do

# uname -r

on your box we can see what kernel you are using.:whistling: Bruno

Hi DenseThe 2.6.12 kernel was the one from Mandriva 2006 . . . . so I think you are mistaken there . . . If you do
# uname -r

on your box we can see what kernel you are using.:whistling: Bruno

I can't get him right now as he isn't home but that was what he got the choices from trying to install the drivers for nvidia. The CDs are the ones he downloaded a couple weeks ago just when the site went down. All this come up from trying to get the drivers. Mine work just fine, thats why he was trying to do a ftp download.

Bruno! I just installed the 4 CD's of Mandriva. Can I get your assistance?FYI, I just ran

# uname -r

and my results:2.6.17-5mdvNow I want to get nvidia drivers. You stated ALL I should do is the this:

here is what you do, 4 little commands: wink.gifCODE# urpmi.removemedia plf-free# urpmi.removemedia plf-nonfreeCODE# urpmi.addmedia plf-free ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux...ase/binary/i586 with hdlist.cz( !! Command is ONE line !! )CODE# urpmi.addmedia plf-nonfree ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux...ase/binary/i586 with hdlist.cz( !! Command is ONE line !! )After this the command to install the drivers with "urpmi dkms-nvidia" should work again.
CORRECT? Is that it? I will post my results if you are ready?

Hi C_PWould you first want to check in the software sources if you have the "Contrib" source configured too ??:whistling: Bruno
Sorry Bruno I will follow your exact suggestions but not sure how or what you mean?

Hi C_PType "mcc" in a terminal . . .you get a window . . . click on "Select from where software packages are downloaded when updating the system" . . . and have a look if you see "Contrib" ( with only 1 of the 2 boxes ticked ).:whistling: BrunoPS: I did put up a test-page for the 2007 install here: http://brunolinux.com/09-Distro_Specific/M...07_Install.html

Hi C_PType "mcc" in a terminal . . .you get a window . . . click on "Select from where software packages are downloaded when updating the system" . . . and have a look if you see "Contrib" ( with only 1 of the 2 boxes ticked ).:whistling: Bruno
I only see my CD's to select to update if you would like I can show a screen shot. I do not see "contrib"Terminal shows this:
[root@pool-71-110-233-206 ~]# mcc[root@pool-71-110-233-206 ~]# GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed at /usr/sbin/drakconf.real line 1471.GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed at /usr/sbin/drakconf.real line 1471.GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed at /usr/sbin/drakconf.real line 1471.GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed at /usr/sbin/drakconf.real line 1471.GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed at /usr/sbin/drakconf.real line 1471.GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed at /usr/sbin/drakconf.real line 1471.GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed at /usr/sbin/drakconf.real line 1471.GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed at /usr/sbin/drakconf.real line 1471.GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed at /usr/sbin/drakconf.real line 1471.GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed at /usr/sbin/drakconf.real line 1471.GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed at /usr/sbin/drakconf.real line 1471.GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed at /usr/sbin/drakconf.real line 1471.GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed at /usr/sbin/drakconf.real line 1471.examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation i586 CD 1.cz]examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation i586 CD 2.cz]examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation i586 CD 3.cz]examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation i18n CD.cz]wrote config file [/etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg]wrote config file [/etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg]wrote config file [/etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg]wrote config file [/etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg]examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation i586 CD 2.cz]examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation i586 CD 3.cz]examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation i586 CD 1.cz]examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation i18n CD.cz]wrote config file [/etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg]

Edited by C_P

Okay . . there is an "Add" button on the right . . . press it and choose "distribution sources" . . . . then choose from the list "France" and the ftp mirror with the word "coffee" in the name . . . . ( don't remember the exact name :whistling: . . . but you will see what I mean )After that you will have 3 additional sources :DLet me known when you are readyB) Bruno

LOL . . yep there is a http and an ftp server . . basically they are the same :DNow go one step back in the mcc, close the sources manager and choose the button "Look at available updates and apply any fixes or upgrades to installed packages"It will look for updates . . . . on the left of the window there is a box you should change to "All Updates" . . . . then click on the individual sections in the left box and in the right box place checkmarks for the packages.Install all updates until you get "None" in the left part of the window.After that close the MCC and open a terminaldo:

# urpmi.update -a

Wait for it to finish . . and then:

# urpmi dkms-nvidia

:whistling: Bruno

Edited by Bruno

Sorry . . .did you add the PLF sources already ??

# urpmi.addmedia plf-free ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux/plf/mandrake/2007.0/free/release/binary/i586 with hdlist.cz

( !! Command is ONE line !! )

# urpmi.addmedia plf-nonfree ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux/plf/mandrake/2007.0/non-free/release/binary/i586 with hdlist.cz

( !! Command is ONE line !! ):( Bruno

Sorry . . .did you add the PLF sources already ??
# urpmi.addmedia plf-free ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux/plf/mandrake/2007.0/free/release/binary/i586 with hdlist.cz

( !! Command is ONE line !! )

# urpmi.addmedia plf-nonfree ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux/plf/mandrake/2007.0/non-free/release/binary/i586 with hdlist.cz

( !! Command is ONE line !! ):( Bruno

Ok after entering those 2 commands and then the # urpmi dkms-nvidia this is what I get:[root@pool-71-110-233-206 ~]# urpmi dkms-nvidiaOne of the following packages is needed: 1- kernel-source-stripped-2.6.17.5mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.i586 : The source code of the Linux kernel stripped for post build (to install) 2- kernel-tmb-source-2.6.17.13-4mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.i586 : The Linux source code for kernel-tmb-2.6.17.13-4mdv (to install) 3- kernel-multimedia-source-2.6.17.13-3mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.i586 : The source code for the Linux kernel-multimedia-2.6.17.13-3mdv (to install) 4- kernel-multimedia-source-stripped-2.6.17.13-3mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.i586 : The stripped source code for the Linux kernel-multimedia-2.6.17.13-3mdv (to install) 5- kernel-tmb-source-stripped-2.6.17.13-4mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.i586 : The stripped Linux source code for kernel-tmb-2.6.17.13-4mdv (to install) 6- kernel-linus-source-2.6.18.rc7.1mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.i586 : The source code for the Linux kernel (to install) 7- kernel-source-2.6.17.5mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.i586 : The source code for the Linux kernel (to install) 8- kernel-linus-source-stripped-2.6.18.rc7.1mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.i586 : The source code of the Linux kernel stripped for post build (to install)What is your choice? (1-8)

# 7 . . . . That is the complete source for the kernel you are running C_P . . . so if you have enough diskspace that is the one to choose.However if you have little diskspace you can choose #1 instead.:( BrunoPS: Please do read the message you get after installing that dkms-nvidia :)

DKMS: install Completed.----------------------------------------------------------------------More information on package nvidia-8774-4plf2007.0.i586IMPORTANT NOTE: This PLF provided NVIDIA driver must be configured differentlythan the one available from NVIDIA, so please follow the instructions below:If you are upgrading from a Mandriva Club or PLF provided NVIDIAdriver, reconfiguring is usually unnecessary.You can reconfigure X to use the new NVIDIA driver either automatically:1. Run XFdrake as root.2. Go to the Graphics Card list.3. Select your card (it is usually already autoselected).4. Answer any questions asked and then quit.OR you can do it manually by editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf:1. Change the Driver to "nvidia" in the Device section.2. Remove any Load "glx" lines from the Module section.3. Add the following line to the Module section:Load "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia/libglx.so"4. Run "update-alternatives --config gl_conf" and select nvidia.conf.

Hi C_PTake the easy way:

1. Run XFdrake as root.2. Go to the Graphics Card list.3. Select your card (it is usually already autoselected).4. Answer any questions asked and then quit.
And reboot ;)If ( and I don't expect this ) on reboot you get problems: log in as "root" on the black screen and run XFdrake again.:( Bruno

Bruno! As always you are the best! I will reply back and modify this post with steps to help me and others in future.I think I will now format and go back to Big Daddy because this wobbly stuff is yucky! LOL Just kidding that was for muckshifter's benefit.I love it, thank you much again!

LOL . . .You're welcome C_P ! :( A few additional notes . . . . . 3 easy fixes for Mandriva 2007:1). Fix LinDVD error:

# cp /usr/share/lindvd/libivimandriva.so /usr/lib/# ldconfig

2). KDE menu, errormessage when choosing "System" --> "Configuration" --> "Packaging" --> "Install, Remove and Update Software"The fix: Start up the menueditor and change the command in the relevant menu entry from "/usr/bin/drakconf --start-with=install-software" to "rpmdrake --root"3). Updatedb errorFix: Install mlocate ( will replace slocate )And subscribe to: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=16612 so you get notified when updates for Mandy 2007 are available ( and if there are problems with them :) ):happyroll: Bruno

I am confused now however.... I went to Control Center and selected "Look at installable software and install software packages and seached for Thunderbird and it was not found. I looked under networking and mail, and only Pine was not installed and Thunderbird was not in the list... Is this because I installed from CD's?I also confirmed my media manager shows all CD's selected and contrib and free and non free selected. How do I get software from my PC via this option?

LOL . . .You're welcome C_P ! :( A few additional notes . . . . . 3 easy fixes for Mandriva 2007:1). Fix LinDVD error:
# cp /usr/share/lindvd/libivimandriva.so /usr/lib/# ldconfig

2). KDE menu, errormessage when choosing "System" --> "Configuration" --> "Packaging" --> "Install, Remove and Update Software"The fix: Start up the menueditor and change the command in the relevant menu entry from "/usr/bin/drakconf --start-with=install-software" to "rpmdrake --root"3). Updatedb errorFix: Install mlocate ( will replace slocate )And subscribe to: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=16612 so you get notified when updates for Mandy 2007 are available ( and if there are problems with them :) ):happyroll: Bruno

cp /usr/share/lindvd/libivimandriva.so /usr/lib/cp: cannot stat `/usr/share/lindvd/libivimandriva.so': No such file or directory[root@pool-71-110-233-206 ~]# cd /usr/share/lindvd/libivimandriva.so /usr/lib/-bash: cd: /usr/share/lindvd/libivimandriva.so: No such file or directory[root@pool-71-110-233-206 ~]# ldconfig[root@pool-71-110-233-206 ~]#

Hi C_PThunderbird is called "mozilla-thunderbird" . . . search for that one and you will find it in the software manager ;)Just go to the section "Look at installable software and install software packages" of the MCC and click on one of the subsections in the left panel and in the right panel you will see the software available :)You can also do it on the commandline ( with the MCC closed )

# urpmi mozilla-thunderbrid"

:) Bruno

cp /usr/share/lindvd/libivimandriva.so /usr/lib/cp: cannot stat `/usr/share/lindvd/libivimandriva.so': No such file or directory[root@pool-71-110-233-206 ~]# cd /usr/share/lindvd/libivimandriva.so /usr/lib/-bash: cd: /usr/share/lindvd/libivimandriva.so: No such file or directory[root@pool-71-110-233-206 ~]# ldconfig[root@pool-71-110-233-206 ~]#
Install LinDVD :(

Hi C_PThunderbird is called "mozilla-thunderbird" . . . search for that one and you will find it in the software manager ;)Just go to the section "Look at installable software and install software packages" of the MCC and click on one of the subsections in the left panel and in the right panel you will see the software available :)You can also do it on the commandline ( with the MCC closed )
# urpmi mozilla-thunderbrid"

:) Bruno Install LinDVD :(

Bruno, thank you but mozilla-thunderbird is not available in the list at all. I chose all and by name bud. Also in terminal:[root@pool-71-110-233-206 ~]# urpmi mozilla-thunderbridno package named mozilla-thunderbridsnapshot1rt2.pngandhttp://img288.imageshack.us/img288/1681/snapshot2jx9.png Edited by C_P

no package named mozilla-thunderbrid
????Give me a sec. I will so some searchingUPDATE: Here it is:
# urpmi ftp://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/MandrakeCooker/cooker/i586/media/main/release/mozilla-thunderbird-1.5.0.7-1mdv2007.0.i586.rpm

( command is ONE line ! ):( Bruno

Thank you Bruno, trying that now. What is going on with my package manager though? smoothdock is not found either... It is acting like it is not seaching the repositories or somthing?I also updated my last post with what my package manager and media manager look like. Am I missing something? Did I do something wrong?

Edited by C_P

I would not know a package with the name smoothdock either C_P . . What is it ?Found it: ( ksmoothdock )

# urpmi ftp://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/MandrakeCooker/2007.0/i586/media/contrib/release/ksmoothdock-3.6.1-3mdv2007.0.i586.rpm

:)

I also updated my last post with what my package manager and media manager look like. Am I missing something? Did I do something wrong?
Nope . . looks okay to me . . . . . Just wait for the additional packages to be uploaded on the mirrors . . . until then we do the "alternative urpmi <url> install":( Bruno

Thanks bud, but what did I do? Why didn't Thunderbird pull up nor anything I am searching from? Synaptic has Smooth Dock and Thunderbird?Ok, thanks will do. How did you find the alternate method or link to run coomand? Is it something I can do?

Edited by C_P

Hi C_PMaybe show me a screenshot of the "media manager" ( MCC --> Select from where software packages are downloaded when updating the system ):( Bruno

Hi C_PMaybe show me a screenshot of the "media manager" ( MCC --> Select from where software packages are downloaded when updating the system ):( Bruno
snapshot3nc5.png Edited by C_P