Downloading Slackware 12 As I Type This...

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, I have the day off today, so I'm d-loading the Slack 12 DVD while I'm doing laundry and other household things. Will I install it right away? I dunno... I'll probably go update and check on my Debian install first, just in case I crash the Slack install. That way I'll have an up-to-date, working OS (like I'm gonna' have problems with that... I have Ubuntu, Mepis, Mint, Vector, and Zen, too B) ) in case of a boo-boo during Slack's install.Well, off I go... ;)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• V.T. Eric Layton

• striker

• Bruno

• steel

V.T. Eric Layton

Yeah... right! My first burn was a dud. Can you believe I burned it as a data DVD. HAHA! I'm out of practice, for sure. ;)

Yeah... right! My first burn was a dud. Can you believe I burned it as a data DVD. HAHA! I'm out of practice, for sure. B)
hehehhe well at least its keeping outta the streets and outta trouble B) ... and dont worry i done that before too ;) ....... B) what about dropline, i havent checked but is it ready for slack 12 yet??

eric...take 5 minutes and click thru my virtualbox slideshow. one of the screenshots might be helpful (i hope), just skip over the virtualbox stuff. there's probably lots of other install walk-through posts out there so it might be a good idea to do a "click-thru trial run" so to speak before you commit. good luck.http://www.flickr.com/photos/cybormoron707...57600672709532/

V.T. Eric Layton

Thanks, Steve! That was pretty cool! Looks like Slack's install hasn't changed at all since 11.0. I'm pretty familiar with it (can see it in my sleep, actually ;) ). I think I'll be OK.Alrighty then... I'M GOIN' IN... if all goes well, I'll be back in here later with Slack 12. If there are difficulties, my trusty Debian will suffice till I get Slack squared away.Off I go... :w00t:Louis, I'm not sure if DropLine is out for 12, but that's OK. I've been running KDE for ages now. :)Off I go again... really! I'm gonna' do it right now. Well, maybe I'll go have a smoke first... B)

V.T. Eric Layton

Slack 12 is IN! WOO-HOO! It was relatively painless. Now for the FUN stuff... I have to install my Nvidia drivers to get rid of this darn 60hz flicker, and also a copy my old fstab to /etc, fix my scroll wheel on my mouse (Bruno's tips - I remember), and a couple other odds and ends things.Off I go... ;)

;) B) awesome work Eric told ya you could do it with your eyes closed, B) now after you finish that you could install another distro.... :hmm: how about Arch its a small download about 180 mb and then build it from there B)

V.T. Eric Layton

No more installs for a while. No more partitions available. :(Installed and currently updating with Swaret. I did this first so I could grab the kernel modules I need to install Nvidia. If that doesn't work, I'll grab them off the DVD. I need to create an initrd anyway, I think.

No more installs for a while. No more partitions available.
Sounds like someone needs another hard drive. :whistling: I have to laugh when people say 15 partitions just isn't enough. I get more than two OSes on a hard drive and I get real confused fast. :blink:

V.T. Eric Layton

Actually, when I have some time, I'm going to break down my RAID array with my other two 250Gig drives. I'm going to shrink Windows down to about 50Gig on one of those drives along with my 50Gig Archive partition. This will leave me 150Gig on one drive and 250Gig on the other to play with. That's a whole 400Gig. I'll find something to put on there. :blink:---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------OK...- Mouse working properly.- Nvidia installed - 2400fps and no 60hz flicker.- Mkinitrd successful.- Firefox and T-bird working fine, including all plug-ins.- Swaret installed, swaret.conf modified, updated and upgraded.- ALSA settings stored --> #aslactl store.- Ubuntu's GRUB modified accordingly.Now I just have to make sure my ZIP, DVD, Floppy are working. I already noticed one thing I'm going to have to fix. They're not showing up in Konq or my disk mounter on my side panel. Everything else seems to be working OK, though. I'm sure I'll find little things here and there that I'll have to fix as I go along. That's to be expected. All in all, not a bad install experience.You know, Bruno... this stuff comes pretty easily these days. Isn't that scary?! ;) I remember when taking on a project like this would be a panic-filled three day event. Having you and Striker and others here as teachers sure helped me to be the Emperor Penguin that I am today. What amazes me, though, is how much I still have to learn. ;)Off I go...Oh, and before I run off... have I mentioned lately thatI LOVE SLACKWARE!!! :whistling: And one final note... keeping a notebook SURE HELPED! :)

V.T. Eric Layton

Yup... easy-breezy! :)Somewhere along the line I lost all my KDE kicker backgrounds, but I just d-loaded a bunch from KDE Look. Purrrty! :whistling:

Really nice job Eric, ;) how ya like slack 12? .... also this is a strange day for me i had about 3-4 tela marks callling me :) i guess today is the day to call me and they are annoying i came across this joke i swear the next one that calls me i feel like using this on them :whistling: :blink:

V.T. Eric Layton

Heh! That was great! :)Fortunately, I don't get tele-solicitors much these days. I'm on the State and Federal No Call lists. It works! Also, I never answer my phone. I let the machine get it. :whistling:-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------OK, folks... here's an interesting bugaboo: whether in init 3 or in Terminal in KDE, when I TAB to get my last command, I get a notice that says: "Display all 3553 possibilities? (y or n)... WHAT IS UP HERE? :blink:

V.T. Eric Layton
OK, folks... here's an interesting bugaboo: whether in init 3 or in Terminal in KDE, when I TAB to get my last command, I get a notice that says: "Display all 3553 possibilities? (y or n)... WHAT IS UP HERE? :blink:
What the heck was I thinking here? Of course, Tab does that. It's trying to complete a command for me when I hadn't typed anything. It's the arrow up key that repeats the previous command. BOY! That synapse must have been damaged recently. I'm all better now. :whistling:

What the heck was I thinking here? Of course, Tab does that. It's trying to complete a command for me when I hadn't typed anything. It's the arrow up key that repeats the previous command. BOY! That synapse must have been damaged recently. I'm all better now. ;)
LOL . . . . . . :blink: . . . . . what was it you smoked earlier in the thread ?:
Well, maybe I'll go have a smoke first... :)
:whistling: B) Bruno