Gentoo Installer

securitybreach

securitybreach

* Several posts split off and merged from Here . . . . . . . . . . . BrunoI cant wait till Gentoo has their installer up and running . I tried installing Gentoo through the universal installation, but I couldnt get the installation started. Oh well I guess it will be a slack-based distro till gentoo matures.

I  don't know about Gentoo maturing. It is doing pretty well now. However, my reinstall has been held up with missing files on the kernel compilation. I burned a new disk and will try again in a few days hopefully.
I meant as far as an installer, not as a distro. Like when I tried to install it, all I got was a shell asking for what kernel to boot. Something like the SLackware installer.

I did notice gentoo has a installer but you have to build a custom cd to use it. http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/installer/faq.xmlThanx

Just burn this "iso" to a CD and choose "Network" on the appropriate question (after booting)...I finally finished the install - 14 hours!! But that was 25 hours < my original Gentoo-install!! :"> http://anymore.nl/gis/releases/gentooinst-0.25.isoHTH. Edited by quint

securitybreach

Is there anything I should know before starting since this is my only computer? Also, why does it take that long to install? 14 hours seems incredibly long. Is it because the network download? I have a T1 so should take as long or does it have to do with the fact you have to compile everything from scratch. Thanx

Edited by securitybreach

Is there anything I should know before starting since this is my only computer? Also, why does it take that long to install? 14 hours seems incredibly long. Is it because the network download? I have a T1 so should take as long or does it have to do with the fact you have to compile everything from scratch. Thanx

It's a 3 MB "iso"...everything is d/l'ed from your choice of "ftp" sources (I chose "ftp.belnet.nl") (it's the european choice). I chose "stage 3" also...lucky for me!! Yes, it compiles everything!! I do believe it is worth it, since it is compiled precisely for your machine.HTH. :"> Edited by quint

securitybreach

I just tried installing Gentoo through the gentoo-installer. When I started it, it said "no supported network devices found." I have a Broadcom 4400 10/100BaseT Ethernet with is a pretty common ethernet card. I dont see why gentoo doesn't see it. Is there a special command to load the module? Thanx

securitybreach

Ok now I am installing Gentoo through the univeral installer stage 3.I went through the manual completely with no errors but the weird thing whenever I get to the part:chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bashhttp://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/hand...l?part=1&chap=6 Code Listening 5I get an error saying file or folder not found. I can plainly see /bin/bash, so I do not know why it is saying this.I am under ATL live now, everything works but display. Im in 800x600 ugh. But anyway, anyone know whats going on?Also, the univeral installer cd saw my network card, wonder why the gentoo-installer didnt? Thanx

Edited by securitybreach

That happened to me once and I had to back up a few steps and work my way back up to it again and then it worked. :devil:

I tried to use Quint's Gentoo installer today. I did not get to first base. It seems it can not handle a wireless keyboard. It could not find my keyboard!