USB Hardware conflict

DarkSerge

I just installed an internal card reader that connects through an internal USB port. Apparently there's quite a conflict because now I can't use any USB thumb drives. Any thumb drive I plug in, I get an error message that says "USB device not recognized. One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it."These are thumb drive I've been using for some time now, so I know the drives aren't the problem.Device Managery simply identifies them as "Unknown Device"I had the same problem with this new card reader - when a thumb drive was plugged in, the card reader was the "Unknown Device" then after unplugging all thumb drives, suddenly the card reader was recognized.Apparently there's some kind of hardware conflict because if one device is plugged in, I can't use the other. The card reader has an internal connection, so I can't easily unplug it when not in use.Disabling the card reader through the Device Manager allows me to use a thumb drive. I can't have both active at the same time.Any ideas?I run Windows XP SP3.

Edited by DarkSerge

I just installed an internal card reader that connects through an internal USB port. Apparently there's quite a conflict because now I can't use any USB thumb drives. Any thumb drive I plug in, I get an error message that says "USB device not recognized. One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it."These are thumb drive I've been using for some time now, so I know the drives aren't the problem.Device Managery simply identifies them as "Unknown Device"I had the same problem with this new card reader - when a thumb drive was plugged in, the card reader was the "Unknown Device" then after unplugging all thumb drives, suddenly the card reader was recognized.Apparently there's some kind of hardware conflict because if one device is plugged in, I can't use the other. The card reader has an internal connection, so I can't easily unplug it when not in use.Any ideas?I run Windows XP SP3.
Did you install the driver for the media card reader? And when you say internal usb port, are you talking about the header on the motherboard? Post some information about the media card reader hardware.

The media card reader is a Vantech 58-in-1 reader, model number UGT-CR905 and it's running off of whatever default drivers are installed when you plug in a card reader or other "USB Mass Storage Device" type of hardware.Yes, that's what I mean when I say internal port - the header pins on the motherboard.I believe it's a system problem because I had a similar dilemma with my old card reader - an external pocket-sized usb reader. I somehow thought maybe an internal installed reader would be different.Installing the software and drivers from the provided disk do nothing to help the situation.I also changed the drive letters to letters not used by any of the thumb drives; no luck at all.Another update... I've discovered that if I disable the "USB2 Enhanced Host Controller" it makes everything work; however it all runs at USB 1.1 speeds and I get that "This device can perform faster if you connect it to a USB 2 Port" message.

Edited by DarkSerge

The media card reader is a Vantech 58-in-1 reader, model number UGT-CR905 and it's running off of whatever default drivers are installed when you plug in a card reader or other "USB Mass Storage Device" type of hardware.Yes, that's what I mean when I say internal port - the header pins on the motherboard.I believe it's a system problem because I had a similar dilemma with my old card reader - an external pocket-sized usb reader. I somehow thought maybe an internal installed reader would be different.Installing the software and drivers from the provided disk do nothing to help the situation.I also changed the drive letters to letters not used by any of the thumb drives; no luck at all.Another update... I've discovered that if I disable the "USB2 Enhanced Host Controller" it makes everything work; however it all runs at USB 1.1 speeds and I get that "This device can perform faster if you connect it to a USB 2 Port" message.
My guess is that you are having a drive letter conflict. Try going into Drive Manager while the reader is active and change all of its drive letters.

My guess is that you are having a drive letter conflict. Try going into Drive Manager while the reader is active and change all of its drive letters.
Tried that, no luck. The reader takes up letters G - J, which was the range of drive letters the thumb drives used. So I changed the reader letters to M - P and it didn't do any good, even after a restart. I even went in and changed the drive letter of the thumb drive to R: (i disabled the reader, which allowed the thumb drive to work) and that did not have any effect.Any thoughts on the "USB2 Enhanced Host Controller" ? Disabling that made everything work all at once but only at USB 1.1 standards.Disabling one device in Device Manger makes the other one work, a temporary work around when I need to use a thumb drive, but it'd be nice to fix the problem totally. <_< Oh how evil these systems can be. Edited by DarkSerge

I believe it's a system problem because I had a similar dilemma with my old card reader - an external pocket-sized usb reader. I somehow thought maybe an internal installed reader would be different.
Seeing as how you had problems with the old reader, it sounds like to me the issue lies with your chipset. Is this a custom built PC? What is the motherboard? I would start by checking to see if there's an newer chipset driver available.

Hello,Is there anything in the motherboard's manual about the internal and external USB ports being disabled or having to share/bridge a physical connection when running in Hi-Speed (480Mbps) mode?Regards,Aryeh Goretsky

Sounds like possibly that the USB chip has reached its maximum power output and it simply cannot handle another power draining device.

Sounds like possibly that the USB chip has reached its maximum power output and it simply cannot handle another power draining device.
Those media card readers don't draw that much power. 20watts at the most maybe. Nevertheless, it might be worthwhile to see if a new or a larger capacity PSU will solve the problem. I still think it's a chipset issue since he says he had a similar problem with the old media reader. Edited by Tushman

Custom built PC. Intel D865GBF motherboard. I unplugged other USB devices in case the computer didn't want anything more plugged in and that didn't help.

I just installed an internal card reader that connects through an internal USB port. Apparently there's quite a conflict because now I can't use any USB thumb drives. Any thumb drive I plug in, I get an error message that says "USB device not recognized. One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it."These are thumb drive I've been using for some time now, so I know the drives aren't the problem.Device Managery simply identifies them as "Unknown Device"I had the same problem with this new card reader - when a thumb drive was plugged in, the card reader was the "Unknown Device" then after unplugging all thumb drives, suddenly the card reader was recognized.Apparently there's some kind of hardware conflict because if one device is plugged in, I can't use the other. The card reader has an internal connection, so I can't easily unplug it when not in use.Disabling the card reader through the Device Manager allows me to use a thumb drive. I can't have both active at the same time.Any ideas?I run Windows XP SP3.
There's indeed a problem with this, I have had it personally with one of my machines I only use for music.In my case it was a floppy disk drive/cardreader combo. The floppy disk drive was not the problem, but the card reader was. I had it connected to a PCItoUSB2 card. Most of the time - but not always - the card reader was NOT detected, with as a result the symptoms you described.The moment I realized here was something wrong, I pulled the PCItoUSB2 card, rebooted and powered down. I then connected the card reader externally to one of the main boards USB2 sockets... from that moment on, no more problems and it still works flawlessly.It's a little variation on connecting the reader to internal main board contacts. However, in my case the problem was solved.

Custom built PC. Intel D865GBF motherboard. I unplugged other USB devices in case the computer didn't want anything more plugged in and that didn't help.
Install the latest driver available for that chipset here.Also double check your BIOS setting to make sure USB 2.0 is enabled.http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/...b/cs-009024.htm Edited by Tushman

Sadly, nothing's working. USB 2 is enabled in the bios. I already checked that same Intel website before and the only download that might help is the INF update and that doesn't seem to have done anything useful. I unplugged other USB hardware incase it was a power issue. Still no luck.Earlier Goretsky said something about the connection sharing a bridge or physical connection. I looked at the manual from the website documentation and haven't found anything to that tune. What if that is the problem? How could I check or fix that?There's only one more thing I can think of. My friend has a Nintendo Wii and the wi-fi usb dongle is installed on my computer. It's not currently running or attached, but the software for it is still installed. Any chance installing that piece of hardware might have done something strange to my system?

Edited by DarkSerge

Sadly, nothing's working. USB 2 is enabled in the bios. I already checked that same Intel website before and the only download that might help is the INF update and that doesn't seem to have done anything useful. I unplugged other USB hardware incase it was a power issue. Still no luck.
Like I said it's unlikely to be a PSU related problem.You say you've looked at the inf update - but have you checked to make sure you have the latest BIOS version available?
Earlier Goretsky said something about the connection sharing a bridge or physical connection. I looked at the manual from the website documentation and haven't found anything to that tune. What if that is the problem? How could I check or fix that?
What he's referring to is that there is (for some motherboards) a jumper setting you can change to specifically enable USB 2.0. I have not worked with your particular MB model but I find that most Intel motherboards of your generation are not typically known for that; it's usually built right into the BIOS configuration setting. If you wanted to verify it with certainty, you could download the (PDF) manual for your motherboard from their website.Look also in the event viewer (type eventvwr.msc into the run command line) to see if it yields any clues about this problem. Edited by Tushman

I don't think there's any jumpers on the motherboard related to USB, I haven't seen anything in the manuals nor when looking at the board itself. The event viewer says nothing useful related to my usb problems.There is a bios update, but the release notes don't document any changes to USB after my bios date. You think it might still fix something? I've been a little skeptical about messing with the bios in the case something goes wrong in the update process. I figured if I didn't really need it I wouldn't do it. :lol:

I don't think there's any jumpers on the motherboard related to USB, I haven't seen anything in the manuals nor when looking at the board itself. The event viewer says nothing useful related to my usb problems.There is a bios update, but the release notes don't document any changes to USB after my bios date. You think it might still fix something? I've been a little skeptical about messing with the bios in the case something goes wrong in the update process. I figured if I didn't really need it I wouldn't do it. :lol:
I've flashed the BIOS on atleast a dozen motherboards or so.... have never had one go bad on me *knock on wood*. But if the release notes don't mention anything related to the USB, then it probably would not help you here.Two things to try. First try a different (USB) header on the motherboard and see if that will eliminate the problem. You need to pinpoint the problem so if that does not work out, I would start by disconnecting any USB/ firewire connections from the motherboard and see if the problem goes away with just the Vantec media reader plugged in. Edited by Tushman

I switched USB headers around - I swapped which one the reader was plugged in to and the one that my front ports were connected to. The problem persists with just the reader plugged in. However, something different has finally happened, although still hasn't fixed it. With the front ports plugged into the other header. When I plug a usb drive into the front ports on my system, it no longer brings it up as "Unknown Device" it actually now says "USB Mass Storage Device" however with the error message "This device cannot start." Other USB ports on the computer still bring it up as an "Unknown Device" with the "The USB device has malfunctioned..." error.Intel has an express bios update program that does it right in Windows; something I don't remember them having before. I've made two recovery disks, so hopefully this will go smoothly.

The bios update was successfull.USB still doesn't work properly.The card reader didn't work after the update until I plugged it back into the original USB header on the MB it was on before. USB drives are still "unknown device" when plugged in.Unless anyone has any miracle solutions that haven't been tried, I'm thinking I need to pull the plug on this idea. Remove the card reader from the system and go back to using an external one that I only plug in when needed.

The bios update was successfull.USB still doesn't work properly.The card reader didn't work after the update until I plugged it back into the original USB header on the MB it was on before. USB drives are still "unknown device" when plugged in.Unless anyone has any miracle solutions that haven't been tried, I'm thinking I need to pull the plug on this idea. Remove the card reader from the system and go back to using an external one that I only plug in when needed.
After reading the description on the motherboard's website, looks like the INF update could help you.From their website:"Installs the INF files that inform the operating system how to properly configure the chipset for specific functionality such as USB."Leave the USB front ports plugged in but disconnect the Vantec media reader and delete the "enhanced USB controller" from the device manager. Then re-install the chipset driver. Edited by Tushman

I installed that INF update already and that didn't help. I did just as you said, uninstalled the USB controller with the reader unplugged. The USB controller automatically reinstalls itself after a few seconds. Then I plug in the card reader. Nothing's changed.However - I've plugged in an external reader (different than my previous external) and I have no symptoms at all. With it plugged in I can use all the USB drives I want. Makes me wonder if the problem is the USB on the MB or the internal card reader. Previously an external USB reader had bad symptoms as well which is what made me want to install an internal one. My old card reader gave me my first ever BSoD crash on this system - 5 year old system and it's first BSoD crash was only a couple weeks ago. (Actually I didn't even see the blue screen - my system just suddenly rebooted and when done it gave me messages saying I had a blue screen error.)

Edited by DarkSerge

Maybe you could try a name brand USB-PCI bridge card to plug the headers from your reader into instead of using the MB headers. Are you sure you have the headers plugged in correctly? Do any of the thumb drives work correctly from the rear USB ports?

I had double checked the physical connection, I'm sure it was plugged in correctly. The thumb drives didn't work from any port with the card reader. I've removed the internal reader and am using a new external USB reader which so far I haven't had any problems and I can use any USB drives on any port while it's plugged in.

The issue looks that. There's a limit (5 unit loads at 100mA) to the number/type of devices you can connect to a port. But if the card reader is self-powered (powered directly by the PSU), that should not be a problem.

I suspect it is the 'internal reader' which has a problem then. I would just leave it as you have it now, working with the new reader and don't mess around with it any longer. It's a pity I know, but at least now it's working.

The issue looks that. There's a limit (5 unit loads at 100mA) to the number/type of devices you can connect to a port. But if the card reader is self-powered (powered directly by the PSU), that should not be a problem.
The reader had a port to itself.I've sent the reader back. I'm using an external card reader now. Edited by DarkSerge

The reader had a port to itself.
Yes. And that port could not provide the reader enough power to operate properly as a high-power, high-speed USB device. Edited by b2cm