Phoenix Browser Problems

friendofdot

friendofdot

Before I begin explaining my problem, let me thank everyone that participates in this forum. Although I am immensley intimidated by the computer expertise of most of you, this forum is an excellent place for people like me to learn. When I first read about the Phoenix browser here, I downloaded it and had no problems for a couple of weeks. Then with no apparent reason, I was unable to load it; this occurred around the same time that Scot reported having the same problem. When a more stable version was announced in this forum, I downloaded it again. From then on, I've had no problems. Until today. Again, for no reason, when trying to launch Phoenix, I received a message that I needed to create a new profile. After trying everything I knew to do this, I finally uninstalled it (which proved to be a very difficult process). BTW, I was using the simplest build (not the night build). Although I have no clue what happened today, I would appreciate someone letting me know when there is a very stable build so I can try again. I read on the web site that .06 was due out in April, but apparently there are still bugs. Plus, if anyone has a suggestion for something I could be doing wrong, I would appreciate any advice. As I never used Netscape, I really like the tabs on the Phoenix browser B) TIA.

GolfProRM

Could you please tell us what OS you are using? I can help you locate the profiles folder and get it setup again, but need to know what Operating System... Then I can direct you to the right place B)

I am really not sure what is causing your problems, but I do not think it has anything to do with anything you are doing. I have had a couple of very similar incidents that have had no explanation. While Mozilla has been around for some time, and Phoenix is based on Mozilla, Phoenix itself has only been in existance since last fall. So it is going to have some quirks to work out. I have had much better success using one of the nightly builds than I have the so called "stable releases". But that is me.....your mileage may very. Whenever I have had problems of this nature I just re-install right on top of the old install. No need to un-install, and the problem usually fixes itself. Right now Phoenix is a little buggy stil, but considering it has barely been 6 months since they firet started developing it, I think they are doing an amazing job. I think in the next year it will hands down be the best browser there is.

friendofdot

Thanks for the suggestions. Am running Windows XP Home Edition. If I download Phoenix again, do I need to do anything to the profile (since I completely deleted the program)? Both times that I have downloaded, I have just installed the program and was not asked about the profile. However, I did read that it might help to delete the existing profile before another download. BUT I have no clue where I read that. So that is why I deleted the entire program. BTW, which build would anyone suggest for my operating system?

GolfProRM

I would recommend the most recent stable version (Mar 20 build), although I've been running most of the nightly builds, and haven't run into many problems...The reason I asked about your OS was because it'll tell me where your profile info is located. I'll explain an easy way to backup/import your profile here when I get back from lunch in about 45 minutes (unless someone beats me to the punch). This way you won't lose any of your settings...

Thanks for the suggestions.  Am running Windows XP Home Edition.  If I download Phoenix again, do I need to do anything to the profile (since I completely deleted the program)?  Both times that I have downloaded, I have just installed the program and was not asked about the profile.  However, I did read that it might help to delete the existing profile before another download.  BUT I have no clue where I read that.  So that is why I deleted the entire program.  BTW, which build would anyone suggest for my operating system?
friendofdot,Sorry, but have not had any problem with Phoenix/Firebird except "smooth scrolling"; before installing a new build, I always delete the current profile, but not the preferences file. Here is a site that will explain most of your questions:Firebird help

GolfProRM

If you go to My Computer -> C: (or drive where Windows is stored) -> Documents and Settings -> Username (this is the name you use to log into Windows) -> Application Data -> Phoenix -> Profiles -> Default, you'll see a folder with a slt extension. This is the profiles folder. In my case, the path to this folder is:C:\Documents and Settings\Ryan\Application Data\Phoenix\Profiles\default\lelx391i.sltIf you go into this folder, you'll see a bunch of stuff: Cache folders, chrome folder, bookmarks file, etc. What I'd recommend doing is creating a new folder called Backup in the default folder (not in the slt folder). Copy everything but not the Cache folder into the backup. Then delete the slt folder. Install Firebird again (it should ask you for a new profile). Create a default profile and it should have the default settings for Firebird. If you want your old settings back, close Firebird and go back to the profiles folder (there should be a new slt folder), and COPY everything from the backup folder into the slt folder. Then reopen Firebird. You should have all your bookmarks and settings back the way they were! You will have to reinstall any extensions you were using before (and don't forget Flash Player), but that's it! You shouldn't have to do this with your profiles folder again unless you're having trouble with it. I've personally never had to do this due to Firebird giving me problems (was handy for moving my settings to another computer though!).

friendofdot

Again, thanks to everyone for all the assistance. Downloaded the March 20 build and so far so good. Chicago, would you please tell me where to download the Flash Player? Which folder to I download it in? I know where to find flash player, but have no clue where to save it. TIA. Gosh, I like this browser <_<

GolfProRM
Again, thanks to everyone for all the assistance.  Downloaded the March 20 build and so far so good.  Chicago, would you please tell me where to download the Flash Player?  Which folder to I download it in?  I know where to find flash player, but have no clue where to save it.  TIA.  Gosh, I like this browser  :blink:
You can go to http://www.macromedia.com and find the flash player... just save the install file wherever you save downloads... when you install it, make sure you select other browser, then browse to your phoenix/plugins folder. Just have it install there! <_< That's all there is to it!

GolfProRM
You the man Ryan, I can not begin to express how much you are appreciated.  :blink:
Thank you.... Glad to be of service! :DNow if only my boss would give me a tech support position. <_<

friendofdot

Realizing that this is probably a very stupid question, I still need help with the flash player. I installed per the directions and now when using Phoenix, I click on a web site (like mini putt-putt), and MSIE comes up with the website as a second window. Do I need to make Phoenix my default browser? Do I need to do this by removing the check from tools in MSIE? Sorry for all the questions.

GolfProRM

No such thing as a stupid question <_< And yes you're right, it does help to make Phoenix your default browser... Removing the checks from IE isn't absolutely necessary, but does help.If you go to Tools menu -> Options in Firebird, you should be able to set it as your default browser... (The General Tab)in IE to remove the checks, Tools menu -> internet options...

friendofdot

Made Phoenix my default browser and it now says that I do not have flash player installed...grrrr. So I'm gonna start over again. When I downloaded Phoenix, it installed as a file on my C: drive. Should it have installed in Documents and Settings? Again, thanks for you help...and your patience. BTW, I am very new to Windows XP and find the file system more complicated. However, I refuse to return to classic.

GolfProRM
Made Phoenix my default browser and it now says that I do not have flash player installed...grrrr.  So I'm gonna start over again.  When I downloaded Phoenix, it installed as a file on my C: drive.  Should it have installed in Documents and Settings?  Again, thanks for you help...and your patience.  BTW, I am very new to Windows XP and find the file system more complicated.  However, I refuse to return to classic.
Okay... to download flash, go here:http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/downlo...anguage=EnglishThis is a direct link, then just click download... you can save the file in your phoenix folder.Run the flash installer and then during the install process press next on the first window, on the second window, select "other browser". Find the phoenix folder (c:\phoenix-win32\phoenix). Then find the plugins folder. So at the top of the window, it should say C:\phoenix-win32\phoenix\plugins, then hit select. Then just hit next until it installs... that should do it.You don't need to move your phoenix folder... the documents and settings is just for your profile stuff <_<

friendofdot

Good grief...I still cannot get it to install. So here is what I'm receiving. "The file <flashplayer6installer.exe> is a type of application/octet-stream and Phoenix does not know how to handle this file type." For further clarification Phoenix is in C:\phoenix-win32\phoenix. I tried to install in plugins and launch a program using flash player and I still recieve an "open with" or box that says find program on the web and I am back to square one. Although still determined, I am perplexed. I followed your instrx to the letter.

friendofdot

BTW, Chicago, you deserve a medal or stipend for all the help you given me <_< It is greatly appreciated!

GolfProRM
Good grief...I still cannot get it to install.  So here is what I'm receiving.  "The file <flashplayer6installer.exe> is a type of application/octet-stream and Phoenix does not know how to handle this file type."  For further clarification Phoenix is in C:\phoenix-win32\phoenix.  I tried to install in plugins and launch a program using flash player and I still recieve an "open with" or box that says find program on the web and I am back to square one.  Although still determined, I am perplexed.  I followed your instrx to the letter.
Okay... after you click on the download link, click save as.... and save it to your desktop. Then you can run the installation and follow the steps above. I'm going to edit the above post to direct you to the correct place in the setup. The main thing is to save the install file... then open it from your desktop

GolfProRM

One more thing... after the file downloads, if the download window is still open, click show file location and it'll take you to the folder where the installer is... then you can run it.If it closes the window, just go to where you saved it and run it :)

friendofdot

I had already downloaded to desktop and tried it from there. When I start installing the flash player, it asks which Netscape browser to use. I have been putting Phoenix. Should I be using something else?

GolfProRM

Putting phoenix is correct... you want to put the phoenix plugins folder... When you run the installer, click the "other browser" button on the second page of the installer. Browse to the c:\phoenix-win32\phoenix\plugins folder and then install it... It should work then.

friendofdot

OK, this is too strange, but it has happened more than once. When I select C:\phoenix-win32\phoenix\plugins, I get a message on the flash player setup that says "Directory not found. Setup could not find plugins directory." I promise that the destination reads: C;\phoenix-win32\phoenix\plugins.

friendofdot

I know this doesn't make sense, but it doesn't work. I just tried going to Shockwave.com and it said I needed a Flash Player and directed me to the same download site. BTW, when I try to open a site that uses flash, it gives me the open with dialog box or it says to search to web for the right program and I end up at the Flash Player site. I must have tried downloading and installing 10 times. Am beginning to think that I set up the browser wrong.

GolfProRM

hmm... doubt you could have set it up wrong.... don't think there's anything you could have done wrong... I'd try rebooting and see what happens... It shouldn't give you an "open with" box... If rebooting doesn't work, delete the phoenix folder and re-extract it... you won't lose any of your settings... Then try reinstalling flash.

I know this doesn't make sense, but it doesn't work.  I just tried going to Shockwave.com and it said I needed a Flash Player and directed me to the same download site.  BTW, when I try to open a site that uses flash, it gives me the open with dialog box or it says to search to web for the right program and I end up at the Flash Player site.  I must have tried downloading and installing 10 times.  Am beginning to think that I set up the browser wrong.
Here's something you could try - it has worked for me, in the past - go to the "plug-ins" folder of either IE or Mozilla/Netscape, and just copy the flashplayer "dll" file to the plug-ins folder of Phoenix/Firebird. :) Always had to do that for the PCPitstop plug-in, so Phoenix would run.

friendofdot

Quint, that was a good idea, but...I have WindowsXP Home Edition SP1 OEM. Strange as this sounds, Internet Explorer is not listed on the Add/Remove Programs list (I tried to repair it once). Plus, the IE folder in Program Files does not have a flash .dll, nor in Doc and Settings. I did a search for a flash player (or anything similar) and could not find any flash .dll ...HOWEVER, I know there is flash on IE, because I can play games. Is there a ghost in my computer? Or is just the quirks of OEMs?Again, to all that have tried to help, thank you.

GolfProRM

There isn't a specific Flash dll file for IE as far as I know... IE comes with flash support standard... it's not a specific plugin that you have to download... I don't believe there's a specific flash dll even in my phoenix folder.... none of them seemed to have anything to do with flash... I'm about out of ideas... I don't know why it won't work for you... maybe someone else here has a better idea?? We'll get this figured out! :) Don't give up on us :D

friendofdot

Good grief, in this forum, I have the best computer minds who seem very willing to help. Why would I give up? :D No way. However, in the meantime, I using MSIE 6...ugh. It's all Jeber's fault because I now find it necessary to play miniputt once a day :)