Realtek AC97

lewmur

It seems the AC97 sound drivers suppress the mike level to the speakers in order to prevent feedback. This isn't too big of a problem unless you want both a Live performance and to record the performance at the same time. In this case, if you turn up the mike volume enough for the audience to hear, the recording is completely saturated.Anyone know of a way to disable the mike suppression in XP?

Edited by lewmur

Hello,Is there a headphone or headset profile you can select? If so, does using that solve the problem?Regards,Aryeh Goretsky

Hello,Is there a headphone or headset profile you can select? If so, does using that solve the problem?Regards,Aryeh Goretsky
The problem is with the input, not the output. I have both speakers and headphones but the mike output doesn't go to either one. It goes to the recorder but not the speakers or headhpones.

The way I did this a couple of times was by using a separated hardware mixer. IIRC one could also get the result you want with two sound cards, however I never have experimented with that. Maybe another approach would be to use an external mic amp and feed the signal from it to the line input of the soundcard, mixing the signal into the chain.

The way I did this a couple of times was by using a separated hardware mixer. IIRC one could also get the result you want with two sound cards, however I never have experimented with that. Maybe another approach would be to use an external mic amp and feed the signal from it to the line input of the soundcard, mixing the signal into the chain.
Why should anything like that be necessary? Actually, I found a "Karaoke" button in "Sound Effects" menu. It doesn't restore the mike to full volume. Instead it knocks down everything else so that if you have enough gain elsewhere everything equalizes. DUMB, DUMB, and DUMBER!!!!!!