Some MacBook questions

zlim

I think two of my questions I discovered while strolling around the Apple site but I want to be sure.1. Is the main difference between a MacBook and MacBook Pro, the size of the screen? 13" for the MacBook and 15.4" or 17" for the MacBook Pro.2. I see that the Pros come with 2 or 3 USB ports. That was one of my concerns because I have lots of USB items. Is the item regonized as soon as it is plugged in? (I have an SD reader for my digital cameras and a dozen USB flash drives). I also have an external enclosure that I move items in and out of - hard drives, burners, players.3. I like to use a mouse rather than the touchpad. I assume there are no PS/2 connectors but can I assume that a two-button scroll USB mouse would work the same as on a PC?4. Is 1gig RAM sufficient? I don't edit video although from reading how easy it is on a MAC I may end up doing more than I used to.5. Can I burn CDs I own to copy as a spare to carry in the car? Will it play in the car?

To the best of my knowledge.......1. I think so, but there may be other slight differences, such as hard drive speed.2. Yes3. Yes4. Yes5. Yes (using iTunes)

The MacBook has a integrated video card, the MBP has a dedicated one.MacBook Pro is that it has the lit keys that automatically sense darkness. That way, you can see the keys if you are typing in the dark. MacBook is plastic, The MacBook Pro is aluminum.MBP also has Firewire 800 Just a few more differences. I think a 13in. is just to small and like a dedicated video card.

RichNRockville

I am also looking at the Macbook pro, Especially after leopard comes out.I plan on at least 2 gigabytes of Ram and a >150Gig hard diskI think that the ability to run Windows XP alongside of Leopard would really be a great thing for us boys and our toys.. :)Rich

I love my MacBook Pro. The differences to me were well worth the upgrade when I purchased. Then again I had the luxury of having a husband say "Go for it." B) He might wait a while before he tells me that again. B) Take a look here: http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html and here: http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.htmlThe number of ports, the speed of the processor, the casing are the biggest things in my mind. I love it. Oh, did I say that already?As far as the USB ports. I have been able to use my sticks, hook up cameras and about anything and they have been recognized. It treats my cameras as another removable drive which is just how I want it - no vendor software - just my pictures. You can plug in any USB mouse and use it. I personally do fine with the touch pad.I bought mine with 1 GB of RAM with the intent of adding another stick later. Make sure youspecify it as a single stick 1 GB of ram. I have yet to feel the need to buy an extra stick. It is much cheaper to add your own later as long as you are careful with what you buy.I think you can burn CDs but I have not done so yet. I put everything on my ipod and play it in the car through my car stereo so have not tried to burn CDs.

Guest LilBambi

There are definitely some great and valuable differences between the MacBook and MacBook Pro. :thumbsup:Course, as with anything ... you sure pay for those differences. ;)BTW: The Apple site is so 'dialup unfriendly' I cringe every time I have to go there. B)

Document Size - http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html Documents (1 file) 30 kb http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html 30 kb Images (39 files) 197 kb Style Sheets (5 files) 19 kb Scripts (5 files) 87 kb Total 332 kb
Document Size - http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html Documents (1 file) 31 kb http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html 31 kb Images (43 files) 294 kb Style Sheets (4 files) 22 kb Scripts (4 files) 4 kb Total 351 kb

Guest LilBambi

Yes, that's a great thing roger! I also have mine set up to leave my music where I have it and set encoding to mp3. I really like the newer version of iTunes. I tried it when it first came out in Windows and wasn't all that impressed with it. But they have made some great strides. B)

Thanks for all the great responses. I had decided just looking at the screen size that I would only consider the MacBookPro. I can't see me moving down to a 13" screen. I did look at MacBook briefly, very briefly because unless I had need to cart this computer all over the country, a 13" screen is just useless for my needs.Before I buy, I want to get my hands on a MacBookPro. I don't like buying without being able to actually see and use the computer; especially since it is a leap moving away from PCs and into the Apple camp. Since I don't run XP (and don't want to), I can't see me worrying about running windows on this. If teacher says 1Gig seems fine and she does alot more with photos and music than I would do, then 1 gig it is!I don't have, nor plan to purchase any mp3 player. All my CDs, I have burned in mp3 format so they'd play in stand alone CD players in the house and in our cars. It's good to know that itunes will take care of this.

LizIt is much easier to tote around my MacBook Pro than any other portable computer I have owned. I have a skin type case for it. I am on the road for the weekend right now and I just brought the computer in the skin. I left the power supply at home. Experience has taught me that if I don't leave it on when I am not using it then it will last until I get back home in 48 hours. I don't carry a separate computer bag but throw it right into my overnight bag.

Point me to the skin-type cases, LOL. I'm a sucker for any and all computer gear. My hubby says I don't spend much on clothes. My answer, to sit at my computer, I don't need lots of clothes! I'll spend the money on "must-have" geeky stuff, LOL.

Take a look here. Mine is baby blue and is a snug fit all the way around. Someone complained on the site there was extra space at the top. I wonder if they got the wrong size. I picked mine up in a Mac shop in DC. It is a perfect fit and is the same brand. B) I have since seen them in several stores.

The MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz comes standard with 2Gigs of RAM and 256MB of dedicated Video RAM. I own this model and I bought it stock with Apple care and I love it. I run parallels and XP for work. They wanted to give me a giant Dell Brick I refused it, I couldn't work without my Mac. You will be able to run Vista as well if you so choose. As for your USB gadgets you will be able to run anythig you want and then some. If you have a lot of devices I'd reccomend you get a USB Hub.I recently gave my sister and Parents Macs for Christmas. They all love them and wish they switched a long time ago. You'll love the MacBook Pro. Do you have an Apple store near you? You will be able to try out all of their computers and software in their store.I can't wait for Tuesday's Keynote I'm hopng that Leopard will be out sooner than later. Apple will be using Sun's ZFS as the new file system and I can't wait to be using it. Maybe one of these years I'll get to MacWorld.

The closest Apple store is about an hour away at the King of Prussia mall. They even offer classes. I called BestBuy today and asked if they have MacBookPros on display and they do; that's a 10 min. drive which is more doable - but then I wouldn't be able to take classes I guess. Some BestBuy stores are certified Apple resellers. I want to see the notebook before I plunk down my money. As far as USB hubs, I have 3 or 4 of them, most unpowered but one I got smart and bought a powered unit.Julia, the skin site is bookmarked. That looks to be an excellent buy. I usually put my notebook in a padded squarish luggage carry on type tote. inform, what is Apple Care?

...what is Apple Care?
Apple Care is Apple's extended warranty. It extends the warraty to three years on both service and phone support. You can read more about it here. I didn't buy it on my iMac, but did on my wife's iBook and my PowerBook. I never needed it on the iMac. It paid for itself on my wife's iBook (trackpad and logic board problems). So far, I haven't needed it on my PowerBook.

Thanks. Another bookmark so when purchase time comes, I can find all the links. hmmm, do I start now "suggesting" to hubby what would make a fantastic Valentine Day present? :( Actually he has always been very supportive of my spending on computer things. He doesn't know what most of the things are for but he does see me using and enjoying them. We currently have 6 computers but 3 of them are very old and slow so when another recycling is offered, I may cart three of them there. The 120MHz, I wouldn't wish on anyone. Maybe parts can be harvested.

You also don't have to buy Apple Care from Apple. Several other vendors sell it for a bit less.Small Dog Electronics sells it for $300 for MacBook Pro, which is $50 off Apple's price. It's backordered at the moment, but you can ask for email notification:http://www.smalldog.com/product/41664I've also seen it for $330 from other Mac dealers.You would be getting the full Apple warranty. In general, Small Dog has an OK reputation. Not my favorite place but they have good deals.It definitely makes sense to hold off on buying the warranty until you have to. If your notebook is stolen or lost, the warranty does you no good. You might as well reduce your financial exposure until you have to.I strongly recommend the MacBook Pro over the MacBook. I have the 2.33GHZ Core 2 Duo 17-inch model. I adore it. I also have two 2.0GHz Core Duo 15" models. I love them all.I took the most recently debuted Core 2 Duo MacBook home for a weekend. It's a great notebook for students because it's much lighter than the Pro models. But I didn't like it much. It's got chiclet-like keyboard and it just doesn't look for feel the same. If you want the perfect compromise between portability, power, and full-fledged ergonomics, the MacBook Pro 15 is the choice. I prefer the 17, however. I really like the extra screen real estate, and I don't mind the extra heft at all (it's 6.8 lbs.).-- Scot

You also don't have to buy Apple Care from Apple. Several other vendors sell it for a bit less.
@#$% I didn't think to look elsewhere when I bought my last Apple Care, which is pretty stupid of me, since I don't renew my .Mac through Apple. It's cheaper elsewhere, too.

Guest LilBambi

You can renew .MAC elsewhere? Can you buy it elsewhere too that's cheaper and has all the features?Oh, yeah ... and if so for buy and/or renew ... where? :huh:

My most recent .Mac renewal was through Amazon. The year before it was buy.com, I think. All you get is a little box that has a card in it with an activation code. Enter the code and you're good to go for a year. I don't know why that wouldn't work for a new account. There's no real software to download, so once the account is active, it's full featured.

Edited by bjf123

LizI am pretty sure you won't even use it. I did the 60 day trial and just found it totally unnecessary. In fact, I removed it from my computer because I could not figure out what the backup portion was doing to my files other than reducing available hard drive space.