Is Siduction Dead?

mhbell

Was wondering if Siduction is dead since the release of Debian Buster and the next debian is or will be Bullseye. I notice Siduction is no longer on Distro Watch. Any one have any info.

Mel

The last ISO is dated 03/09/2018 Siduction always followed the debian testing. Now that buster has been released and the new testing is Bullseye I've not seen anything about that in Siduction. I do know that they are dropping some versions and that they need more dev's, but they are not being very informative as to what is going on or planned. I think Siduction is almost done for.

Mel

siduction is alive and well. The core devs are still active and a new image is promised "sometime soon" albeit with less desktop environments offered. If you need to install it before then, they are happy to generate a new iso for you if you ask on their IRC channel.

It's still my main driver and I just did a full-upgrade last night which ran smoothly.

siduction is alive and well. The core devs are still active and a new image is promised "sometime soon" albeit with less desktop environments offered. If you need to install it before then, they are happy to generate a new iso for you if you ask on their IRC channel.

It's still my main driver and I just did a full-upgrade last night which ran smoothly.

Thank You Sunrat I want to start using it again But I need to use non-free firmware for my AMD Ryzen 2200G and the mesa Graphics. Will probably install the LXQT which I think they are keeping. Look forward to the new version.

Mel

Hedon James

Thank You Sunrat I want to start using it again But I need to use non-free firmware for my AMD Ryzen 2200G and the mesa Graphics. Will probably install the LXQT which I think they are keeping. Look forward to the new version.

Mel

Siduction has an excellent implementation of LXQt. Count me in those LXDE fans who were interested in LXQt but thought "needs more time to mature." But Siduction is the distro that first made me think "LXQt is ready NOW!" And I'm fairly certain that Siduction will continue to offer a very polished LXQt, as LXQt fulfills the "cutting edge" ethos of SID, and one of the main Siduction developers is a fellow named Alf Gaida, who is also one of the main developers for LXQt. Siduction is currently the flagship distro for LXQt DE, IMO.

• Like 1

Siduction has an excellent implementation of LXQt. Count me in those LXDE fans who were interested in LXQt but thought "needs more time to mature." But Siduction is the distro that first made me think "LXQt is ready NOW!" And I'm fairly certain that Siduction will continue to offer a very polished LXQt, as LXQt fulfills the "cutting edge" ethos of SID, and one of the main Siduction developers is a fellow named Alf Gaida, who is also one of the main developers for LXQt. Siduction is currently the flagship distro for LXQt DE, IMO.

The "stock" LXQt 0.14.1 in Buster looks nice to me. I like the collection of apps they ship, like qterminal, pcmanfm-qt, featherpad, screengrab, etc. LXQt seems fine to use right now but it could still use some improvements.

I'm not sure how much Siduction adds to or tweaks LXQt. Did you see this week's opinion poll at DistroWatch, "Custom desktop versus vanilla desktop"? -- https://www.distrowa...p?issue=current

I voted "vanilla" but, you know, it depends on the situation.

Hedon James

I agree Saturnian. Could still use some improving, but certainly usable in current state. As the userbase expands, I expect the improvement to accelerate. Lubuntu switching to LXQt should probably significantly expand the LXQt userbase, although I can tell the LXQt devs aren't fans of Lubuntu.

I'm a little put off with LXQt right now also, as they've removed the "window manager menu" option from PCManFM-QT. That's a crippling blow for me... I was using DEs as my desktop environment, but "skinning" it with LXDE components and autostart scripts, until I learned that LXDE could easily use different window managers for the DE, while still retaining the *Box WM menu! That was the feature that pulled me into LXDE. Deprecated in LXQt now...without fanfare and discussion. I registered my disappointment with the devs and tried to explain why it was a big deal: "*Box users spend DOZENS of man-hours customizing their menus to be EXACTLY how they want it to be and they don't want to lose that customization", but it fell on deaf ears. Decision made...

I was told if I wanted WM menus, I could uncheck the module for PCManFM-QT to manage my desktop...so to get my WM menus, I have to forfeit "desktop painting", i.e. icons and wallpaper management. If I'm willing to give that up, I might as well go back to WMs. Not sure what I'll do yet....this may be a deal-killer for LXQt in my world. Why do developers feel the need to "fix" things by removing them? You didn't "fix" it, you amputated it!

I am getting disgusted with Siduction. It might not be dead but it may as well be in my case. I upgraded my computer awhile back to a Ryzen 3 2200G cpu with vega onboard graphics. 16 gig of ram. Same old BS Siduction won't install and won't finish booting up. With the help of Sunrat I managed to get it installed on my old computer, but not on this new one when it freezes on boot. I would go to the siduction irc channel, but don't know what it is or how to configure it without being in siduction. tried siduction-br and also oftc in hex chat but no luck. It is to bad that they don't offer a NoN-free version Like the Debian community does. It would not be that hard. I am also finding that Mint XFCE won't install, But other versions do out of the box. Even Sabayan which is a Gentoo Spin installs with no problem. same with all versions of non-free debian. Sparky Linux which is based on debian testing installs without a problem. in the past week I've installed and tried over 20 different Linux distros. All installed out of the box on my new hardware without problems Except Mint 19.2 xfce and all versions of debian 10 Stable and Siduction. Even Fedora and Suse installed without problems. Sorry for the rant, but I had to get it off my chest.

Mel

:angry2:

@mhbell - PMed you about getting a fresh siduction build. Your installation problem may have been the same as I encountered one time which is cured in a fresh build. Hopefully they are close to releasing a final iso.

siduction does come with most of the non-free firmware same as non-free Debian.

• Like 1