Lubuntu 12.04 Screen Brightness Bug

Cookie

Really like Lubuntu 12.04. It's just that the screen brightness is set to the highest setting by default. This bug rears its ugly head with Toshiba Satellite laptops and Sony laptops. It has been reported a thousand times, so I am sure a fix is in the works. But, in the meantime, my retinas have ruptured and I am currently leaking eye muck all over my keyboard.

That is not entirely true. I am just using Mint more...

The common denominator is this bit of CLI

/etc/rc.local

adding this line echo 4 > /sys/class/

backlight/acpi_video0/brightness

That is cool, but I am having to enter this every time I boot up. Is there another way? Perhaps something more permanent?

V.T. Eric Layton

Hi, Cookie...

You mean you edit/add this bit of code to your rc.local and it's not there when you reboot?

Try editing /etc/init.d/rc.local, if your Lubuntu has such a file.

Yes. Sorry.

In Mint, or other, more robust Ubuntu-based Distros it is not a problem because the OS comes with a way to dim the screen, I just have to do it every time. When Ubuntu updated the kernel for between 11.10 and 12.04, it got screwed up somehow. This problem effects Bodhi, Lubuntu, Ubuntu, Mint 12 and 13, Kubuntu...I am sure the list goes on and on.

I was just wanting to tap the collective knowledge and see if there was a permanent solution. I really like Lubuntu and Bodhi, but the terminally bright screen is kind of bumming me out.