PCI Express Video Cards

teacher

I am trying to get my daughter's computer put together. So far we have a dual Xeon system with chained hard drives and 3 GB Ram. The motherboard requires the PCI Express video card but we have not found any on the market yet. We are getting down to 6 weeks before it has to be built, configured and loaded.Does anyone know when they will really be available or a source where you can get one now?Julia

I guess I should add that we are looking for a high-end video card such as the ATI FireGL that has at least 256 of Ram to be used for video animation.Julia :)

Hi Julia,You may wish to contact the below - I'm sure he can provide information on when, where and how to purchase a PCI Express NVidia product:Derek PerezNVIDIA Corporation(408) 486-2512dperez@nvidia.comHope this helps. :)

Thanks everyone. I just wish most of these places would indicate whether or not htey are "in stock" before you order! Hopefully from all of these references we have found something that will work.Julia

I think this is what she wants!  :huh:
I have put a call into Maya since this is not on the hardware list but it sure sounds good. http://www.alias.com/eng/support/maya/qual...aya_60_win.htmlI just put a call into them and am waiting for an answer back. This is going to be one very expensiveJulia :)Just got the call back (that was extremely fast) and they indicated nobody has tested a PCI Express video card yet. I guess that means I need to look at a different motherboard that will actually support the RAM they were designed to have.

Hmm... Sticker shock or don't want to be the first to try it out with the Maya program?? Somebody is not being very forth coming. ATI's own site seems to say that it is compatable and works with Alias Maya (see ATI FireGL Family Brochure). If you want to continue with the path that you are on, then getting the PCI Express card with 256MB will cost a pretty penny, but it is available if you know who to order it through if cost is not a factor. I would look for a personable local computer shop that will order anything and who perhaps requires 10-25% down. However, if you can't find one, I would point you to Port Computers or maybe Zak PC.I also found this Elsa branded product. I have seen that brand before at Port Computers. If you can find the information (product name, model, UPC, etc.), you can get the product. You might also try calling or emailing the sales office to find out about acedemic programs available to students and further compatability with Maya. I would definitely ask about full refund if is doesn't work with Maya which is why you would need the corporate contact. Sometimes you can get lucky.:D Hmm..... Another link at Else's site shows the breakdown of how the cards were tested and compatablity determined - all with AGP cards. Err, maybe you will have to find a mobo with 8x AGP after all. I'd still check with ATI and the PCI express (since it sounds like you already have the mobo on hand). I have a strange hunch that the PCI Express model is a nice enhancement of the AGP model (or vise versa that the AGP is a minor rework) which (in either case) should be backwards compatable and still able to function with Maya. I would at least check into it further.

I don't have the motherboard in hand. The small computer shop I am going through wanted to make sure all components were attainable and would work before actually getting the parts. The shop is in Colorado and they have always worked with us as each new version of Maya has come out and what is needed. It is just that she is at the point that she needs the expensive, professional level computer so she does not waste so many hours each week due to memory overloads, etc. Since she is just now heavy into her animation classes I know the demands will increase. I forwarded the link you had from ATI and will see what they come up with. The only thing in hand right now is the new Maya program and last year's computer which could be switched to dual processors and 2 GB of Ram.Julia

:D Ah, good... so no damage has been made yet and the system can still adjust to the core requiremnts. It's good to hear you have somebody to work with as well. There is still plenty of room and time to make adjustments then. :PMy next suggestion would be to look into the product matrix of the motherboard maker. Finding the product matrix for the major consumer brands is relatively easy to find, particularly for ASUS, SuperMicro, and Tyan. Other brands such as Gigabyte, Soyo, Abit, FIC, MSI, and others should have them as well.Using Intel Motherboard Selector, there are 10 matches for the 800MHx FSB Xeon based systems. Of course you know better what's needed for requirements. I hope that helps as it looks like a very useful tool. Finding a computer case looks like a new challange too. What in the world is an EEB form factor?? Sounds crazy none the less... :wacko:Keep us informed with what you finalize on getting in the end. What has been decided so far?

I have my brother working on it (he is the IT for a company with over 2000 computers in 3 countries) and a friend who is a small computer guy in Colorado and we have been researching back and forth. The case will be determined later. It really does not matter which type of case it is as much as the compatibility of the computer with the software. In fact, as much as I run Linux, I am positive that her computer will be too new to run Linux, but it is not my computer so that does not matter. The things that are purchased and waiting right now includes the software: Maya, Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office 2003. That takes care of her main programs. Of course I will load Firefox on it. She does not need Thunderbird because she does all her email web based. Julia

Here's a motherboard from Epox:http://www.epox.nl/english/products/motherboard/5ega+.htmIt has a x16 and a x1 slot, plus 4 PCI slots. The x16 slot (would look like a standard AGP slot) would be for the video card, the 1x slot (would look like a modem riser slot) for any other PCI Express card. I don't think the PCI Express x16 slot would be suitable for any 8x AGP card. You would need a PCI Express card for the 164-pin, 75w x16 slot.

I think I am going to work on getting the PCI card listed above from the Academic Superstore and taking a chance. We conferenced on it this morning and decided that would be the way to go but it will be easier for me to get it and send to the shop with the educational requirement than any other way of obtaining it. Crossing my fingers and hoping for the best.Julia

Actually if it does not work out I will take the processor out of my system, add it to hers, add RAM to her system, and then take the new one. :hmm: Seems like a fair trade to me! :DJulia :P

Xeon - Warrior Teacher! :lol: Sorry, couldn't resist! o:)
Oh my...... What can I say? Glad everyone has a sense of humor around here while I am busy draining my pocketbook! :D Julia

So which "bus width" are you going for?1x, 2x, 4x, 8x, 12x, 16x, 32x  :whistling:
Gee I thought I would take the 16X card and put it in a 1X slot. Doesn't that make it run faster? :) Julia :)

Looks like I am striking out. Those wonderful sites that look like they have the higher end cards in stock really do not. Back to the drawing board..... :(Julia

I guess Dell/HP/IBM get first dibs and since these cards cost 10x your normal AGP card, ATI doesn't manufacturer too many. :huh: