Forums

1. The Highlands

1. Announcements

General announcements of note for all forum members.

The place to free your mind and explore Linux, which for many, isn't an "alternative" operating system — it's their only OS.

Topics related to Windows, Microsoft, help with Windows, techniques, performance, betas, all types of Applications, Windows news, Windows server OSes, the future of operating systems, and more.

Topics and discussions related to Apple, Macintosh hardware and accessories, OS X, Classic, iTunes / iTMS (Mac & PC), mainstream Mac software, and more.

Exploring CPUs, motherboards, overclocking, building your own PC, case mods, PC brands, handhelds, peripherals of all types, DVDs, CD burners, hardware-specific software, device drivers, and anything else related to hardware.

Topics related to ANY AND ALL Mobile Platforms, Mobile Devices, Mobile Operating Systems, Mobile Apps, and more.

Protecting PCs from attack, networking, network hardware, remote access, sharing broadband, different broadband technologies, network troubleshooting, spam, encryption, firewalls, and more.

Social Media will cover all topics related to Social Media, Web 2.0, browsers and web applications, email, and more.

9. The Restaurant at the Edge of the Universe

The The Restaurant at the Edge of the Universe, previously known as The Water Cooler, is a place to post stuff that has absolutely nothing at all to do with computers, broadband, Scot's Newsletter, or anything that's "supposed" to be here.

Forum-Related Feedback Only, Please: Bugs, problems, forum software, skins, graphics, webhost, stuff we're testing, suggestions, and more. NOTE: Testing Subforum is under the Forum Feedback forum.

• securitybreach
      I am going to go get an eye exam and some more glasses Thursday. I had to make an appointment and they will probably take my temperature at the door. I'll wear a mask and such.   As far as going out, I have been going into the office the entire time while the rest of my teams is working remotely. I do not mind as I live like 6 miles from the office but I am much busier than would be with a full building as I have to do everything that my team cannot do remotely. Things like et up hardware, ship hardware to people's homes and offshore oil rigs, receive stock, set up machines/servers, fix stuff, setup ipads in intrinsically safe cases for connected field workers, etc. etc. etc. I usually only fix things after they have been through multiple levels and setup/deploy servers and stuff. It is starting to pick up a bit more downtown now but it is literally just me and one manager on my floor and maybe 10 more people in the entire 52 floor building besides security and such. It's been like that since the beginning of march and now they will not be coming back till July 6th. It's nice to not have to wait on an elevator but it will be a pain when the everyone comes back. I bet it will take people 30 minutes to get to their desk due to controlled movement into the building. Only 4 people to an elevator, social distancing, etc. etc.   I have been to going to convenience stores on the way home from work every day during the week, going to the grocery store on the weekends and going to the park on the weekends. Today was the first time that I had my temperature taken. My bank opened back up in the building last week after being closed for months so I decided to visit. I put on my mask and walked in and the woman told me that I needed to be checked in. I didn't know what she was talking about and then she told me to go back to the entrance to get my temperature taken. I was kind of taken back as I have been running around the building for 13 weeks now mostly without a mask because no one else is there. I put on a mask when I go downstairs for food or to step outside but there has not been any hard restrictions in the building. Anyway, the put the laser on my forehead and I did my banking like normal.
    • securitybreach
      Ha, good luck with that. You better do due diligence and search first
    • securitybreach
      Well Noveau is ok if you just have one monitor and do not need graphic performance but other than that, it is not very good. Now its not noveau's fault as they are having to reverse engineer the nvidia driver as Nvidia doesn't share any of their code, hence the Linus gesture to them years back  https://www.wired.com/2012/06/torvalds-nvidia-linux/     On the other hand, AMD has a team dedicated to developing their open source driver along with the community.  
    • abarbarian
      Right your using nvidia drivers not the nouveau drivers. Posted in case anyone missed the news. 😎
    • raymac46
      Dentists' offices have not yet reopened in Ontario for anything other than emergencies. When they do the landscape will be quite different.   https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/ontario-s-strict-rules-for-reopening-dental-clinics-differ-from-other-provinces-1.4959820
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• raymac46
    • V.T. Eric Layton
  • Today's Birthdays

1. Neil P
      Neil P
      (34 years old)
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

qudratovs133
    Newest Member