Why do I need XP3?

jeffw_00

I'm confused - Windows Updates is asking to install SP3 - but i have been doing updates religiously all along, so why do I need SP3? Shouldn't I need just a very very small portion of it? or none at all? I'm concerned that no good will come from doing the update, but that it might have 1 or 2 updates that I should have.thoughts?thanks/j

RichNRockville

I believe that SP3 for XP has some increased security and therefore I recommend you install it.I have installed SP3 on at least 25 computers and none of them had any problems. YMMVI recommend that if the MS update says that SP3 is available for your computer then install it.One recommendation is to disable AV and Internet Security programs before installing SP3Rich

well, now I know as much as when i put up the post, If you take every microsoft recommendation without questioning, well..... 8-}What's the difference between SP3 and all these updates I've been applying these last few years? thanks!/j

If you take every microsoft recommendation without questioning, well..... 8-}
By that reasoning why install any updates at all? :) If you're going to keep your system up to date you may as well do it properly. There's no good reason that I've been able to find not to install it.
What's the difference between SP3 and all these updates I've been applying these last few years?
Perhaps this whitepaper on Windows XP SP3 will answer your questions:http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/8...%20Pack%203.pdf

(sigh) thanks for the pointer - but that was definitely a "Microsoft" white paper - technically correct while minimally informative 8-} So I take it the XP3 download will -not- reappply all the updates i already have? thanks 8-}/j

that was definitely a "Microsoft" white paper - technically correct while minimally informative 8-}
:)
So I take it the XP3 download will -not- reappply all the updates i already have?
Correct. It will just add whatever extras it requires.

(sigh) thanks for the pointer - but that was definitely a "Microsoft" white paper - technically correct while minimally informative 8-} So I take it the XP3 download will -not- reappply all the updates i already have? thanks 8-}/j
I would not call that a minimally informative paper. That white paper explains in detail approximately a dozen new functions that are introduced with SP 3. You would do well to actually read the PDF instead of just rephrasing your question. Starting from page 5, it states:
Windows XP SP3 includes all previously released Windows XP updates, including security updates and hotfixes, and select out-of-band releases.
Page 12
The goals of Windows XP SP3 are to:* Provide a new baseline for customers still deploying Windows XP, to help them avoid the inconvenienceof applying individual updates.* Fill gaps in the updates users might have missed by declining individual updates when using AutomaticUpdates, and to deliver updates not made available through Windows Update.
So where is the confusion coming from? If you had read it, then you would have realized there are several new updates. SP 3 will install only the hotpatches/ updates that are missing on your system.

Hi Tushman - a pleasure to talk with you too. I DID read the white paper, it did not explain-how this differed from all the collective updates issues to date-what happened when you ran this on an updated machine (you all "know" that it applies only new ones but I didn't see it in the paper)-what happened if you had XP Home - the new features seemed like XP-Pro-like featuresThanks for the scold though, reminded me how not to deal with my kids 8-}/j

If you interpreted that as a scold - well that is on you and the way you chose to interpret my response. I find that explaining the obvious is only necessary for people who have a hard time understanding the answer when it's starting at them plain black and white. If you were offended by my response, then my apologies - but based on your persistent rephrasing of the question it seems like to me the babblings of someone who never bothered to read the article and would rather be spoon fed the information. If you do not want to be talked down to then I suggestion you go read the article and ask intelligent questions based on your reading of the article instead of asking the same question over & over.

I DID read the white paper, it did not explain-how this differed from all the collective updates issues to date
Page 5 of the article has your answer.
-what happened when you ran this on an updated machine (you all "know" that it applies only new ones but I didn't see it in the paper)
Refer to page 12.
-what happened if you had XP Home - the new features seemed like XP-Pro-like features
SP 3 works the same way regardless of which version you have. Those "xp pro like features" are integral to the operating system and it makes no difference which one you're using. Edited by Tushman

RichNRockville
well, now I know as much as when i put up the post, If you take every microsoft recommendation without questioning, well..... 8-}What's the difference between SP3 and all these updates I've been applying these last few years? thanks!/j
What you are evidently after is an argument. :) Your sarcastic response will definately push some to never answering any future questions you might have.rich

I guess that white paper explains why I saw a little blue icon showing my router name..I never saw that B4 I installed SP3..At least I hope it was SP3..jolphil

Boy - what crispy replies - lighten up people! If I wanted Microsoft's opinion I'd check their site, their docs don't always jive with reality. But thanks muchly to those who gave me good answers, I think I'm all set now. best regards/j

Edited by jeffw_00

Boy - what crispy replies - lighten up people! If I wanted Microsoft's opinion I'd check their site, their docs don't always jive with reality. But thanks muchly to those who gave me good answers, I think I'm all set now. best regards/j
You installed SP2 did you not? Why not SP3. It fixes a great deal of security holes . By not installing it you are putting your machine at risk. One day MS may push it.

att00447io1.jpgI thought this to be a bit funny. While there is a bit of truth in this,it is not meant to be simply Windows (MS) bashing. Edited by mlangdn

Hello,Service Pack 3 for Microsoft Windows XP contains all of the updates released after Service Pack 1. Unlike Service Pack 2, which introduced quite a bit of new functionality, the changes provided by Service Pack 3 are more modest. It includes a Network Access Protection client (a form of network access control developed by Microsoft) which allow computers to connect to a network more securely by verifying they are up-to-date with operating system patches, security software and so forth (Windows Vista shipped with a NAC client). It also includes an updated Windows Security Center applet in the Control Panel, to make it more similar to the one in Microsoft Windows Vista. One other new feature is that computers installing a slipstreamed version of Windows XP with Service Pack 3 have an option to delay entering the product ID key for thirty (30) days, again, a feature implented on Windows Vista and back-ported to Windows XP.One reason it is a good idea to install service packs, besides getting the patches, hot fixes and whatever new features might have been added (if any) is that a service pack can also contain newer, unreleased versions of previously-applied patches or hot fixes. Microsoft does more extensive regression testing and thread modelling against service packs than they do with a hot fix (especially if the hot fix had to be released out-of-band) and if they came across a previously-unexercised bug, they may choose to fix it only in the service pack, especially if it is a low-risk/low-probability issue. Another reason to install a service pack is that it might contain changes to the formerly default settings in the operating system. For example, disabling the messenger, smtp or other services on a workstation to reduce the attack surface of the operating system, or other changes to increase the reliability or performance of activities like copying files over a network. I do not know if Service Pack 3 for Windows XP contains any changes like those, but in case it does, installing it would provide additional security, performance and reliability beyond what is just available from applying all post-Service Pack 2 hot fixes and updates.Regards,Aryeh Goretsky

yeah - in fact I was thinking that for XP -home- none of the new features were applicable (except perhaps for the security center) - and what did they do to that? I use a good antivirus (NOD), as opposed to one recognized by the 'security center' - is it going to nag me more 8-}thanks/j

Hello,There are a number of reasons Microsoft's Windows Security Center might not recognize antivirus software that should be detected.The most likely one is that Windows Management Instrumentation's (WMI) core repository of information about what software has been installed on the computer is corrupt.Here are the steps to reset WMI's core repository:

1. Open a Command Prompt by clicking on Start->Run, entering "CMD.EXE" as the name of the program to run, and click on the OK button. The Command Prompt window will appear.
  2. In the Command Prompt window, type "NET STOP WINMGMT /Y" and press Enter.
  3. Type "REN %WINDIR%\SYSTEM32\WBEM\REPOSITORY %WINDIR%\SYSTEM32\WBEM\REP.OLD" and press Enter.
  4. Type "EXIT" at the Command Prompt to close the window.
  5. Reboot the system. Windows should start up as it normally does, but you may be prompted to reboot the system once more in order to finish making the changes to the system caused by resetting WMI's core repository. Allow the computer to reboot if it prompts again. You may also need to reboot a second (or third) time if the Windows Security Center still does not detect the antivirus software.

The Windows Security Center should now properly detect the antivirus software and report it as being current. If it does not, try reinstalling Service Pack 3 for Microsoft Windows XP.Regards, Aryeh Goretsky