Slackware Upgrade

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

It was such a beautiful day here in Tampa today. Temps barely reached the low 70s. It was breezy with beautiful cobalt blue clear skies. I was in such a good mood that I decided to finally get off my butt and upgrade to Slack 14.2.

However, once I checked all my upgrade notes, I remembered that this is no easy task. It would take me two days' worth of work to get my system setup after the upgrade; you know... all the added software, updates, kernel installs, GUI customizations, etc.

So, it didn't happen. I was close, though. Meh... maybe I'll just wait for 15.0. ;)

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

I usually do save /etc and /opt, but there's so much more that still needs to be done. I could try an upgrade (via Pat V.'s instructions) instead of a total reinstall. I did an upgrade once before on one of my laptops. It worked, for the most part, but still...

I've really gotten lazy about techie stuff over the last few years. I just want it to work when I hit the On button. 14.1 is working fine. My only complaint is that the ESR version of FF is too old to run HTML5 vids.

I'm thinkin' I might just go out and by a nice new machine with Microsoft Windows on it.

HA! You know better than that. ;)

V.T. Eric Layton

What good would that do? I'd still have to spend two days setting up my GUI and additional programs, and other customizations.

securitybreach

What good would that do? I'd still have to spend two days setting up my GUI and additional programs, and other customizations.

True but it would easier to keep updated.

V.T. Eric Layton

Slack is a breeze to update. It's an upgrade from version to version (which, fortunately, happens rarely) that's a PITA; and that's only because I prefer clean installs over upgrades. It's a Bruno thing. ;)

Don't feel bad.... I bought 14.2 back in January when I had problems with the lappy hard drive. After replacing the HD, the plan was to dual boot like before having Slack on one partition and something else on the other. Well, it's more like only something else on the other and....well...the Slack 14.2 disc is still sitting in the sleeve. I'll get to it (really, I will) but now is not the time.

• Like 1

securitybreach

Don't feel bad.... I bought 14.2 back in January when I had problems with the lappy hard drive. After replacing the HD, the plan was to dual boot like before having Slack on one partition and something else on the other. Well, it's more like only something else on the other and....well...the Slack 14.2 disc is still sitting in the sleeve. I'll get to it (really, I will) but now is not the time.

Bought?? I didn't know that Slackware costs money. TIL that you can still buy Linux distros..

Funny enough, I cannot get the Slackware store to load but I did notice that its only http. I would never send my payment details over http as its too easy to capture.

dAwXZTR.png

• Like 1

I had forgotten about P.V. and what they did to him so my original plan was to pay Slackware for the disk like I had in the past. But the store was closed. You're right, I could have downloaded it for free but I paid somebody $3.50 to do it for me. I don't have access to fast internet all the time.....and I'm old. (see gray hair, picture on left) :teehee:

• Like 2