Posting Difficulty

ivan

From a new member.Why does your forum make it so difficult to make a posting? If I remember right, I believe I clicked "New Topic"..but I did this out of despiration.I would think you would have a box or link that would state: To Post a Message, Click Here But, yours is better than Xandros's Forum. It is a total enigma...I have searched it over & over, no where to post a message. Lots to read but that's all. My question is "How did they get there?" :devil: Question: What does the term "Close all Tags" mean? What are 'Tags'? Sorry to be so negative, not my nature, but just frustrated!Ivan

When you are posting and want to mark something as bold eg it puts a [bOLD] symbol in front of the text that is to be bold, to make this work you have to close the bold tag at the end of the text. So close all tags makes sure that you have the closing tags for any tags you have used. Usually the closing tag is the same as the start tag except it has a / in front of the command. I hope this helps not sure if it is really clear. :PBy the way Welcome !!

On this type of forum, First thing to do is choose what area you want to post in. Hardware, All Things Linux, The Water Cooler are some of the many choices. Each has its own guidelines about content. Your next step is to decide if you want to start a new discussion in the area you chose or add your comments to a post that already exists.If you want to start a new discussion, click the "NEW TOPIC" button. If you want to add your point of view to a discusion that already exists, click on the post that interests you, and click "ADD REPLY" Both buttons can be found at the bottom of the page.The close tags functions helps to make sure the formatting you've done to text appears correctly.If you want text to appear in boldface, it requires an opening [ b ] and closing [ /b ] "tag" If you don't close the tag, instead of getting this you will get something like this.Hope this helps.

How do I post an entry? (A New to the Forum Tutorial portion)

To post a response to a particular thread, just click on the â€Add Reply†button under the last  entry.  To start a new thread, click the “New Topic†button.  If you want to start a poll, then you would select the “New Poll†button.   When posting a question or problemTo make it easier for folks to get at the heart of your question, it would be very helpful and strongly suggested that you include as much of the following as you can in your initial posting:1. Question/Problem (Please fully describe the question/problem and any steps you may have already tried.)2. Type of computer:  Fill out your profile so this information is easily available.3.Operating system:      Put this in your profile so it can be pulled up as well.NOTE: For quicker reference of your computer's specs in your postings, you should fill out that portion of your profile under "Welcome to your control panel" in My Controls for later copy/paste for your questions.  Also, never reveal your IP address when posting to the forum.  If you cut and paste from your computer’s specifications, please remove your IP address for your own protection.  * Links to free software to help determine your computer hardware **  Aida: http://www.aida32.hu/*  Belarc Advisor:  http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html  Where should I post my question?  Think about your question – does it relate to the hardware in your computer, the operating system, or is it just a tough question.  To get the best answer as fast as possible, please place your post in the appropriate forum.  As the forum changes, the categories may change.  If it deals with security and networking, then it should be posted there.  If you are using Linux as an operating system and have questions about Linux, then post under All things Linux.Be sure to do a search before posting a question. It could be someone else has had the same problem and your answer is right there waiting for you.  The search engine can be reached from any page on the forum.   Hints for actually typing your post: You have a number of buttons to choose from to change the appearance of your font.  They are as follows: First you can select between normal and guided mode.  In guided mode when push on a button it will pop up with a place to type in what you want in the particular style.  In normal mode it will produce the opening tag and you will have to then close the tag.   B – this produces the [b] tag which places your text in bold letters. It must e closed with a [/b] which can be done by pressing the close all tags button. The alt key shortcut is the alt key and B.I – places your text in italics using [i] to open and [/i] to close. The alt key shortcut is the alt key and I.U - underlines your text using the [u] tag to open and [/u] to close. The alt key shortcut is the alt key plus U. Font lets you select a font to use.  It has a drop down arrow to select a font.  If you select Arial it will add the tag [font=Arial] to start the font and [/font] to close the font tag.   Size lets you choose between small [size=1}, large [size=7] and largest [size=14] to change the size.  You may manually type in any number between 1 and 22.  If you type in a number larger than 22 it will use size 22 for your post.  The closing tag for any size is [/size]. The color drop down menu gives you a number of choices.  It produces a tag such as [color=blue] and then you close it with [/color].  If you are familiar with web safe colors you can select a color using the alphanumerical designation such as [color=00ffcc] or the name of the color.  Again you must close your tag when done.  To quote someone use the quote button.  It will add the [quote][/quote] tag to show what is quoted.  If you click on quote in another post, it will automatically add the post for you.  You may then shorten it to fit the part you want to quote.  The alt key shortcut is the alt key plus q.If you want to put a list in your post use the list button.  Boxes will pop up for you to type in your list.  When you are finished, press enter on an empty box and it will close your list.  The code for r a list is [list][*][*][/list]  There are not provisions to do a numbered list.  You may use the alt key plus L to do a list.   The code button will add monotype test using the [ code ] [/CODE ] tags. The alt key shortcut is the alt key plus p.  Extra spaces are there to keep it from shortening this post..... Should you desire to insert an email address you can use the @ button.  It will add the [email][/email] brackets. The alt key shortcut is the alt key plus e. You may place a picture in your post.  It must be on the Internet already.  You click on the IMG button and it will insert the address of the image between the img tags.  The alt key shortcut is the alt key plus g. You have two boxes to choose from when finishing your post.   The first box allows emoticons to appear in your box.  If you do not select this box, then any emoticon you placed in your post will appear as words rather than a smilie. The second box allows you to use your signature for the box.  If you clear the box, it will not show your signature for the particular box.  You set up your signature (something you can place at the bottom of every post) in your Control Panel.  Look at the forum rules first please.The smilies at the bottom show up on the post line of your post.  If your are starting a new thread, it appears on the page where you added your thread.

Thought this might help you.Julia :(

Is there a link to this (A New to the Forum Tutorial portion)? It looks to be useful and complete but I couldn't find a link to it here anywhere.

Guest Paracelsus

Hi Ed...I may be wrong, but I think Julia's "Quote" in her post is the Tutorial.It may not be a bad idea to make this a permanent post somewhere though.Good Idea B) How's about it Mods???

I may be wrong, but I think Julia's "Quote" in her post is the Tutorial.
Thanks Paracelsus but where does one find the Tutorial? It's not under Help (which would be the perfect place for it), or Forum Rules, Forum Announcements, ... I can see why ivan got frustrated.The Tutorial is well written and obviously teacher spent some time creating it, I agree it needs a permanent home. The Help section would be the most logically location imo.

Guest Paracelsus
Thanks Paracelsus but where does one find the Tutorial?  It's not under Help (which would be the perfect place for it), or Forum Rules, Forum Announcements, ...  I can see why ivan got frustrated.
Sorry I wasn't clear, Ed...It's only in Teacher's post above.I think Julia was being facetious calling it a Tutorial.I think she wrote it this up specifically for her post. It doesn't currently have a "permanent" home elsewhere on the Forum.

Actually I used good old cut and paste. The whole tutorial exists on my computer. We looked at adding it last summer but circumstances and upgrade possibilities got in the way of it ever being put on the forum. I think I only have 27 pages or so in it. :DSure is an easy way to answer questions though. :)Julia :whistling:

circumstances and upgrade possibilities got in the way of it ever being put on the forum.
So what will it take to get it added to the Help section now? :whistling:

Guest Paracelsus
circumstances and upgrade possibilities got in the way of it ever being put on the forum.
So what will it take to get it added to the Help section now? :o
Well... I have to say that 27 pages IS a bit much :D But I wouldn't put it past ol' Teach to be pulling our legs once again :o :D :D There really shouldn't be much to prevent these tidbits from finding a permanent home....Somewhere?? :whistling:

Well... I have to say that 27 pages IS a bit much :thumbsup: But I wouldn't put it past ol' Teach to be pulling our legs once again :rolleyes:  :thumbsdown:  :thumbsdown:
Actually I would have to go check the entire file but I believe that is correct. Before they can all be posted I must update them to reflect the changes on the forum as they were written in May of last year. Then someone (probably Arena) would have to find time to post them in the proper format for where they would belong, etc, etc. I believe the decision was to wait until the forum moves up to the next stable version. However, who knew IBP would take a year to do that????Julia :P