• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,629 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:42 PM

Disk-utility is a mostly passive app. It won't strain the drive just to read its SMART data. However, that data will tell him right away what's going on with that drive. It will show temps, spin-up rates, read rates, and most importantly - bad sectors.

All that being said... BACKUPS SHOULD BE THE FIRST THING PERFORMED.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#52 OFFLINE   réjean

réjean

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 4,475 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:06 PM

Some days ago now, not long after Eric told me the drive might be on its way out I did installed Win 7 on another drive (WD 1200) and copyed her My Documents to the new installation. I did not however get her Firefox bookmarks neither her mail in Thunderbird. Right now she is using her old machine with Win XP and all her old bookmarks and she uses gmail mostly anyway.
So I am now running Vector Linux SOHO 5.1 but it is based on KDE so I should probably switch to another distro that is based on Gnome. I'll be back.
I found Open SuSE 12.1 Gnome and I am runing it live. I'll try to find a 'disk utility'. Here it is. So what should I do; a benchmark, a SMART Data, check the file system? Before doing any test the SMART status tells me that the "Disk has a few bad-sectors".
The SMART data tells me thae drive has been powered on for 1.8 years, the Temperature is 38 C/100 F. The self-assessment says "passed" and that it has 19 bad sectors.
Beside a "Reallocated Sector Count" and a "Current Pending Sector Count" giving me a warning everything else is said to be either good or N/A. I just did a "refresh" and the temperature went up 1 C or 2 F.

Edited by réjean, 11 July 2014 - 09:23 PM.

registered linux user #374889

#53 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,272 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:26 AM

View PostLilBambi, on 11 July 2014 - 07:39 PM, said:

I hear ya. But I think he should back it up before doing any diagnostics, just in case it's on it's last leg and MTBF.
Yup, always backup especially when a drive starts dying!!! B)
Posted ImagePosted Image
Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#54 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 05:45 PM

Maybe after the backup . Running chkdisk from dos will give the info .
Linux counter no . 393441

#55 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 05:53 PM

Unfortunately, chkdsk will not reveal anything useful. that tool only scans the filesystem to attempt basic repairs, if it is able. It does not check the integrity of the drive.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#56 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:13 PM

So in effect it only marks bad blocks and makes them unusable only for a fresh install of Windows. .

I have used Seatools before on a Seagate 20Gb drive .To no good effect . I put that drive by mistake into a box that I assembled for Suse . It worked without any problems  for about 5yrs . Until I gave the box away . The new owner was a lot cleverer than me and the drive failed  two weeks later.

#57 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:45 PM

Well, I think the "surface scan" mode of chkdsk might do something like that.... but sadly it is not very comprehensive.

I love Steve Gibson's SpinRite, as it is a very thorough tool that works at the hardware level in the computer without regard to the data that's on the drive.

Adam

#58 OFFLINE   réjean

réjean

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 4,475 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:54 PM

Just to complete this saga. I reinstalled Win 7 on the WD 120Gb hd where I had migrated her "My Documents" from the problematic drive . It had only 3 bad sectors according to Disk Utility (as for the Seagate 500 GB. It had tons of bad sectors and an imminent total failure so that is a right-off). I will eventually format the problematic hd (Hitashi 250 GB) and use it for backing-up.
One thing I didn't know about Win 7 is that when you install it it keeps what was previously on as a "windows old". So when I reinstalled it last night on the WD 120 not only did it keep the data I had transferred from the problematic drive but also what was originally on the WD drive. A bit confusing but sufficed to say that I have been purging viruses, malwares and what not using Spybot, Malwarebyte,Avira and another software that Leo suggested). Thanks for introducing me to his site and newsletter Eric.

#59 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,629 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:22 PM

A few bad sectors on a drive can always be mapped around. They're common, especially on older, heavily used drives. Nothing to worry about, usually. However, when disk-utility (or any diagnostic tool like that) detects oodles and oodles of bad sectors, that usually means that you should be calling for a priest to administer last rights, if the hdd happens to be Catholic, that is. ;)
Posted Image

Posted Image

#60 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:29 PM

Strip it out .The discs make really good skimming stones . And the magnets .Don't leave them loose anywhere near your IT gear . But hide one somewhere on the tv and watch the fun.

#61 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:06 PM

I concur with Eric. That drive cannot be trusted, as the drive is dying.

#62 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,272 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:14 PM

View Postross549, on 13 July 2014 - 07:06 PM, said:

I concur with Eric. That drive cannot be trusted, as the drive is dying.

Yup best to get what you can off of it because a dying drive will just stop working all of a sudden.
Posted ImagePosted Image

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#63 OFFLINE   réjean

réjean

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 4,475 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:33 PM

Thanks guys! I'll feed this barracuda drive to the sharks at the recycling depot.

#64 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,667 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:14 PM

View Postréjean, on 14 July 2014 - 12:33 PM, said:

Thanks guys! I'll feed this barracuda drive to the sharks at the recycling depot.

The magnets are worth keeping. :whistling:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#65 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 24,272 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:29 PM

View Postabarbarian, on 14 July 2014 - 01:14 PM, said:

Indeed B)
Posted ImagePosted Image

#66 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:32 PM

The guts make nice clocks....
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#67 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:34 PM

Posted Image
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#68 OFFLINE   réjean

réjean

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 4,475 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:03 PM

View Postabarbarian, on 14 July 2014 - 01:14 PM, said:

I didn't know that. I must have half a dozen or more dead hds hanging around.

View PostLilBambi, on 14 July 2014 - 05:34 PM, said:

Posted Image
Wow! With all the dead hds around here I could have several clocks telling me what is Roger's time, and yours, and Eric and others.

#69 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:33 PM

How true! :yes:
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#70 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:47 PM

They (magnets) make a great fridge magnet . Will hold a veritable sheaf of paper. etc

#71 OFFLINE   b2cm

b2cm

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:01 AM

When you suspect something wrong with your hard drive, first focus on saving your data. Diagnostics, repair should be done after.
Deskstar drives used to be IBM (had 3 which all failed within 6 months,back then it was also known as 'deathstar'), sold to Hitachi and then to Western Digital.

#72 OFFLINE   Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet

Nocturnal Radio Geek

• Forum MVP
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:47 AM

Those drive magnets are often very powerful- like 75 pounds or so. I remember buying four of them mail order. They arrived properly packed in a metal shield, possibly 'mu-metal', to contain the fields. I proceeded to make a 'magnetic rake' using a piece of 1 by 2 and an old closet rod for the handle. It is very good for dragging around the driveway or the lawn. It captures pretty much every piece of ferrous metal out there. So- refrigerator magnet? I'm not sure I'd use them that way. They're too darned strong. I'd be worried about putting dents in the cabinet trying to pull the magnet off.

Which reminds me- I have probably a half dozen dead hard drives here, mostly real old ones, but all of the 3.5 inch size. Need to dissemble them for the magnets before I recycle them at our local recycling place. BTW I do have one hard drive which is 5-1/4 in size. Looks really weird, kind of like a big, flat plate- sort of. It still works, too. I was looking at it the other day. It's probably about 2G in size.

Edited by Cluttermagnet, 26 August 2014 - 02:51 AM.

Special Limited Edition Cluttermaster 2007 with direct air cooling system.
"ClutterLabs" --open hardware for open software" .......... Registered Linux User 446867

("It takes an entire village to raise a child...")
"It takes only one bulldozer to raze an entire village..."
"Hey, Fred- isn't that your kid driving that bulldozer?"

In loving memory of Bruno Knaapen of Amsterdam, who shared
his love of Linux, and thereby made the world a better place...

#73 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,629 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:18 AM

I have a pile of 3.5 hdds, too. However, I don't have the right sized (Torx?) fitting to take them apart. I could drill them out, but haven't gotten that energetic... maybe late this fall when I go out there and start to tinker during the nice (cooler) weather.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#74 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,548 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:45 AM

View PostCluttermagnet, on 26 August 2014 - 02:47 AM, said:

Those drive magnets are often very powerful- like 75 pounds or so. I remember buying four of them mail order. They arrived properly packed in a metal shield, possibly 'mu-metal', to contain the fields. I proceeded to make a 'magnetic rake' using a piece of 1 by 2 and an old closet rod for the handle. It is very good for dragging around the driveway or the lawn. It captures pretty much every piece of ferrous metal out there. So- refrigerator magnet? I'm not sure I'd use them that way. They're too darned strong. I'd be worried about putting dents in the cabinet trying to pull the magnet off.

Which reminds me- I have probably a half dozen dead hard drives here, mostly real old ones, but all of the 3.5 inch size. Need to dissemble them for the magnets before I recycle them at our local recycling place. BTW I do have one hard drive which is 5-1/4 in size. Looks really weird, kind of like a big, flat plate- sort of. It still works, too. I was looking at it the other day. It's probably about 2G in size.

Great idea on the magnetic rake for yard and driveway.

Would be great for accidents like a jar/can of nails that accidentally falls over and spills on the floor too! ;)

For screw drivers that need to be magnetic, might take less time to magnetize them (Genie magic lamp style) :w00t:

Great degausser too for drives if 'glued' into large grouping on a flat surface using epoxy maybe? After I thought of this, I went searching to see if this was possible and found this survivalist board topic:

http://www.survivali...ad.php?t=109578

BTW: if you slide the magnets to the side of the door on the refrigerator, they slide right off without any dents on the equipment. ;)
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users