DU Meter

FuzzButt

Well I just thought I would mention this little App I found that seems to be quite helpful at keeping my browsing under Comcast's limits.I found DU Meter (Shareware $19.95 with 30 day trial) to be right up my alley. It sits in the system tray and monitor traffic across either/both dial-up or network. Then there is a window that can be displayed on your desktop that is partially transparent (setable) it records daily totals and monthly. It has an alarm for a set amount to warn you if you are getting close to a preset amount.The scale for the download/upload is adjustable as is the color of each.The application uses about 4K of memory. No biggy if you have a gig of it.Chris

I am glad I caught this post FuzzButt.Especially since I may owe you a few favors back for helping me out a few times. Friends don't recommend friends PAYware! :) Don't make me beg! PUHLEEEEASE! I used to use DU meter when it was first introduced and have tried almost every one on the market at one time or another.Hey, I am an EE and I like graphical presentations! I started using such programs way back when; during the days of 2400bps modems. That was the only way you could tell if your #@$% modem was working or not!NetMeter 0.8.6.0 >> by ReadError >> Build date: 27/06/2003 >> This program is FREEWARE.Homepage: http://readerror.gmxhome.de/ e-mail: NetMeter@gmx.de I must tell you a few things that I have found out about these types of programs but especially about this one:1) Make it one of the StartUp programs (*the resource usage is small and NEVER crashes)2) Make the size of the overall box 6cm by 2cm3) Under "General" tab >> "Windows Properties" section: Only select "Always on top" and "Close to tray"!4) Enable Transparency (~62%)5) Under "Graph" tab >> ONLY Check >> Autoscale Graph and Show Current UL/DL in "Kilobits" (remember that 1 KiloBYTE = 8 Kilobits!)6) I have attempted to put it EVERYWHERE on my screen over the years but the most unobtrusive place for it seems to be ~6 cm from the right top part of the screen! I just discovered this after umpteen years of usage!7) Please donate a few bucks (~$5?) if you find it worth it.Few caveats: A. If you move it on the screen, it will not remember position; until you go to the Options and exit first. B. DONOT "Enable mouse sensitive fading / hiding"!Ooops, I forget, you already paid for a program! You should have asked here first! Tsk, Tsk, Tsk!

Nope I have not paid for it yet. I downloaded the net meter. Hmm. looks almost exactly the same and has a much better price.I leave them both active and see how it goes.Sorry about recommending a payware. Thanks for mentioning this. Problem with a program like this is there is no PR budjet so getting the word out is very hard.Chris

Randombox, There's nothing wrong with recommending Payware... Personally, I think if a program is worth using on a consistent basis, it's worth paying for. Now granted, there may be freeware alternatives, but a recommendation is a recommendation, and that's what I'm looking for. ;)

GolfProRM, I am not understanding your need to post that reply! I must have read your reply more than a few times and still not grasping the justification for

Randombox, There's nothing wrong with recommending Payware... Personally, I think if a program is worth using on a consistent basis, it's worth paying for.
I have provided FuzzButt an alternative FREEware that in FuzzButt's words "Hmm. looks almost exactly the same and has a much better price.".Please also note one of my recommendations in my original reply:
.....7) Please donate a few bucks (~$5?) if you find it worth it.
I will forever maintain Friends don't recommend friends PAYware! :D But in the future, I promise to NOT ever attempt to do the same with you. Even if it is OpenSource software, such as Mozilla!Peace! :)