Ubuntu 16.04 LTS - VBox Headache

raymac46

Has anybody tried Ubuntu 16.04 out yet? I think there are some big time problems with using it with VirtualBox 5.0.18 that show up when Ubuntu 16.04 is installed as a guest. After loading up the Guest Additions, when I rebooted the display manager kept flashing on and off and changing screen size and I never got a stable screen at all.

I think the problem may lie with the 3D option but if you don't have 3D what's the point of Unity, Plasma or Gnome?

I switched 3D off and installed Xubuntu 16.04 in VBox. The Guest Additions are a bit trickier to install and you have to add them to an /etc/modules-load.d/virtualbox.conf file but they are working OK.

All this fiddling and configuring to get Arch Linux and Apricity working is really paying off, although I never expected to geek it up with an Ubuntu style distro.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Sorry, Ray... can't be of any help to you at all. I wouldn't know a virtual box if it walked up and bit me in the ascii. ;)

• Like 1

I'm also curious if anyone here has installed Ubuntu for real yet.

My all too brief experience before I added the Guest Additions and it crashed and burned did not reveal much change in looks from Ubuntu 15.10.

Xubuntu? Looks OK but the developers haven't strayed far from vanilla Xfce. I'd say that Linux Mint, Manjaro and Vector Linux have tweaked Xfce more to get an attractive desktop look and feel. Xubuntu has made some strange choices like packaging 2/3 of Libre Office, no music player and skipping the useful script Ubuntu has for adding the Guest Additions.

At this point I don't think I'd hop back to Ubuntu from Debian or Linux Mint.

Virtual Box seems to be the last refuge for old school geeks who like to battle bugs and configuration glitches to get even a mainstream distro going. Stuff you take for granted with Linux today - like Internet access and video smoothness - is never automatic in VBox. You'd love it, Eric!

Edited by raymac46

'fraid I haven't got much to offer either, last Ubuntu I used was 15.something. I did run it native for about four days though, no tweaking / config / driver-hunting / CLI-ing of any kind required (rather boring if you ask me - Arch tends to keep me on my toes though, right now I'm having trouble with Steam and/or libGL, and no solutions found online have done anything)

Anyhow, off topic there a bit, last time I used Ubuntu in Vbox, I didn't have hardware virtualisation enabled in my BIOS, which it didn't seem to like, as (I believe I've mentioned this before) it insisted on running at 100 % CPU all of the time.

There are so many permutations and combinations of VBox release - System host hardware - distro that it is impossible to come up with a "one size fits all" solution when things go south. I have a theory that the way AMD and Intel handle virtualization is different enough to break things at times. I have had some distros that wouldn't run on my AMD-Linux host but worked fine on my Intel-Windows host. It's all part of the "charm" of VirtualBox.

One thing I do know - if you get a distro installed and working in VBox there's a very good chance it'll be fine if installed on the rails in real life.

Hedon James

Ray my man...you are crazy! I know it's an LTS, but I never mess with a brand new release unless I'm feeling my troubleshooting/problem-solving/bug-squashing skillz need a tune-up. I AM an Ubuntu fan, and I ALWAYS recommend the last LTS version for reasons of stability, but never within the first month. I don't know that it's unique to the Ubuntu family, but that's where my experience lies and its my opinion that "the deadline shall be met, no matter what"...and its often released with many numerous, tiny, stupid, minor annoyances; with the intent of "meeting the deadline" and "we'll clean it up from bugzilla reports." Historically to wit: things like 2 network managers auto-starting at boot, no network manager starting at boot, Locally integrated menus (LIM) not available despite representation they were, etc....

FWIW, the LTS will be tweaked pretty good in the next 30 days, possibly sooner. If you want supreme stability & usability, wait for the 16.04.1 point release. Also, I think I remember reading somewhere that there's a display bug in the most recent version of VBox...is that the version you have installed? I personally prefer anything after the 2nd release of a new VBox release number for a brand new install, such as version 5.1 (up to but not including the last release), so I hit the latest features with a little polish to 'em (notice a theme here?). I still have VBox 4.3 running with no issues whatsoever on my Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS.

If you're looking to just be aware of the latest & greatest, and occasionally work on your skillz...carry on as you were! :D

• Like 1

I hear what you say HJ and that's why I have Debian Jessie on my Windows VM as the only install. I want to use it there with no headaches. But I'd rather live close to the edge on my other desktop. Anything new gets a spin there. I have Arch installed there. The latest VBox goes there.

At my age I'm too old for roller coasters but hey... :happyrollsick:

BTW the host machine where all this craziness is going on runs Linux Mint 17.3 - I don't want the video breaking when my granddaughter wants to play "Cat in the Hat" games.

Edited by raymac46

Has anybody tried Ubuntu 16.04 out yet? I think there are some big time problems with using it with VirtualBox 5.0.18 that show up when Ubuntu 16.04 is installed as a guest. After loading up the Guest Additions, when I rebooted the display manager kept flashing on and off and changing screen size and I never got a stable screen at all.

I think the problem may lie with the 3D option but if you don't have 3D what's the point of Unity, Plasma or Gnome?

I switched 3D off and installed Xubuntu 16.04 in VBox. The Guest Additions are a bit trickier to install and you have to add them to an /etc/modules-load.d/virtualbox.conf file but they are working OK.

All this fiddling and configuring to get Arch Linux and Apricity working is really paying off, although I never expected to geek it up with an Ubuntu style distro.

I've installed it on a spare partition on my main box and, as can be expected on a new distro, there are problems. Had problem installing both Chrome-stable and Synergy but was able to get them working via CLI. Haven't tried Vbox yet. That will be my next project.

edit: Vbox installed without a problem. Tried an old XP vdi and it appears to work. I'm going to use 16.04 for a few days at least to see what problems arise.

Edited by lewmur

Hedon James

I hear what you say HJ and that's why I have Debian Jessie on my Windows VM as the only install. I want to use it there with no headaches. But I'd rather live close to the edge on my other desktop. Anything new gets a spin there. I have Arch installed there. The latest VBox goes there.

At my age I'm too old for roller coasters but hey... :happyrollsick:

BTW the host machine where all this craziness is going on runs Linux Mint 17.3 - I don't want the video breaking when my granddaughter wants to play "Cat in the Hat" games.

With respect to Mint 17.3 and any upgrades, I seem to remember you running AMD/ATI video cards also, correct? If so, avoid the proprietary driver in the future. AMD/ATI has worked with linux community on their OSS driver and I read that the most recent Catalyst drivers aren't compatible with the version of Xorg in Xenial 16.04. Not sure if AMD will address this over time (woulda thought they had done that in the Beta period if so?) or if they consider their work on the OSS linux driver to be on par with Catalyst and, therefore, redundant effort. I've been using the open source driver with no issues whatsoever, but I'm not a gamer. For me, the OS version is perfectly sufficient.

Looks like AMD/ATI is following in the footsteps of Intel video with providing OSS video drivers. Not sure if this will force nVidia to follow suit or if nVidia will position itself as the premier graphics provider for the most demanding of graphics environments, such as gaming, CAD, etc...

@HJ Well it's a long story. I used the FOSS driver with good results on my APU but when I switched to the R7 360 discrete card it was too "new" for the old stable 3.1X kernel I had in LM 17 to recognize it. I ended up in LLVMpipe land where you definitely don't want to be with a fairly high performance GPU. I had to install fglrx to get back to proper hardware 3D direct rendering. I suppose I could install a 4.X kernel and go back to the FOSS driver but fglrx is OK for now.

I did try Ubuntu 15.10 on a Live ISO with a newer kernel and the R7 worked fine with FOSS.

So the bottom line is I won't mind returning to the FOSS driver if the kernel supports it and I am sure any version of Linux Mint based on Xenial will do just that. I'm not a real gamer either.

securitybreach

I have had some distros that wouldn't run on my AMD-Linux host but worked fine on my Intel-Windows host. It's all part of the "charm" of VirtualBox.

Can you give me an example of one as I have a lot of virtual machines running on an AMD processor that work just fine?.

Arch tends to keep me on my toes though, right now I'm having trouble with Steam and/or libGL, and no solutions found online have done anything)

Can you make a new thread to work on this as I have Steam working on an AMD and a Nvidia machine so I know it currently works fine?

AMD/ATI has worked with linux community on their OSS driver and I read that the most recent Catalyst drivers aren't compatible with the version of Xorg in Xenial 16.04. Not sure if AMD will address this over time (woulda thought they had done that in the Beta period if so?) or if they consider their work on the OSS linux driver to be on par with Catalyst and, therefore, redundant effort. I've been using the open source driver with no issues whatsoever, but I'm not a gamer. For me, the OS version is perfectly sufficient.

It happens but it generally takes a few releases before they catch up with Xorg so you have to use a custom mirror or hold back xorg from updating until it happens. This has been happening for years with the catalyst driver. Luckily we have someone on Arch who maintains a repo that prevents xorg from updating until the issues are resolved.

Arch tends to keep me on my toes though, right now I'm having trouble with Steam and/or libGL, and no solutions found online have done anything)

Can you make a new thread to work on this as I have Steam working on an AMD and a Nvidia machine so I know it currently works fine?

Will do, although I'm thinking about changing distro on my main work / gaming machine. I'll keep arch on my backup (an old MSI Netbook) and in Vbox to make sure I don't loose my touch. I've removed steam for the moment (I only have one game anyway) but when I get the chance to take a look again I'll let you know. I'm quite busy at the moment with college exams coming up.

• Like 1

Vector Linux worked fine on my Windows-Intel VM but would not boot on my AMD-Linux VM.

Edited by raymac46

securitybreach

Vector Linux worked fine on my Windows-Intel VM but would not boot on my AMD-Linux VM.

Works fine here:

LoiI7dF.png

rCskMrT.png

7G36Z2k.png

securitybreach

Or perhaps it was an issue with the window's version of virtualbox... Or it could of just been that specific version of Vector..

I redownloaded the ISO for VLocity 7.1 and I'll give it a try tonight after the grandkids have gone home. They monopolize my desktops most days.

I have an A8-5600K CPU so not all that different from you (bit older and slower.)

Edited by raymac46

Kids went bike riding so I downloaded a different ISO and that one worked. Even got the Guest Additions installed.

Screenshot%20from%202016-04-24%20184816_zpspm8byvag.png

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 2

securitybreach

Kids went bike riding so I downloaded a different ISO and that one worked. Even got the Guest Additions installed.

Good deal :thumbsup:

I've installed it on a spare partition on my main box and, as can be expected on a new distro, there are problems. Had problem installing both Chrome-stable and Synergy but was able to get them working via CLI. Haven't tried Vbox yet. That will be my next project.

edit: Vbox installed without a problem. Tried an old XP vdi and it appears to work. I'm going to use 16.04 for a few days at least to see what problems arise.

So much for my trial of Ubuntu 16.04. Back to Mint 17.3. I don't need any of the new features in Ubuntu and a bunch of little things kept nagging me. In particular, I have four boxes tied together with the Synergy keyboard and mouse sharing app and the mouse behavior with it in Ubuntu is weird. Trying to highlight text is a real PITA. Either gets too much of too little of what I'm trying to highlight and then I have to click several times to get it to release what IT decided to highlight. Don't have the problem in Mint.

I do now have Ubuntu 16.04 installed and working in VirtualBox. I tried the trick Hedon James suggeted (install virtualbox-guest-utils package) but on reboot I got complaints about the service not connecting and no change in display. So I removed the package and went back to the ISO insert and build method. Now it's working fine. :th_run-around-smiley:

I think the trick is NOT to enable 3D hardware support in the Virtual Machine. Just let VBox handle it. I am getting the Unity desktop without the 3D box checked in VirtualBox. :clap:

Edited by raymac46

Hedon James

Wow. I've never had a problem with the 'Buntus and virtualbox-guest-utils package. What do you mean by "the service not connecting"? I'm wondering if this might be systemd related. This is the first Ubuntu LTS with systemd, although I think they already introduced systemd back in 15.10. Maybe it's just the typical "shakeout period" that all new versions of Ubuntu seem to show. I'd like to download and check it out, see what's new & exciting, but I know from experience that a TON of bugs will get massaged and squashed in the next 2-4 weeks, due to the massive uptake associated with a new release, especially an LTS.

When I first booted after installing the virtualbox-guest-utils package I had a message flashing off and on about "service not connected" and the display did not change. Sorry I don't have the full details. I did check the /opt folder and the systemd folder and found no evidence that the Vbox Guest Additions had actually installed as expected. Nor could I enable the vboxadd.service. The modules were there but for some reason were not working. lsmod did show them. So yes I think it had something to do with systemd.

If I installed things from the ISO everything worked fine if I did not try any fancy 3D stuff in the VBox configuration.

If things work out there should be a Guest Additions folder in /opt and some service scripts in /etc/systemd/system/multiuser.target.wants/ folder

I believe that Oracle has recommended the ISO method with the newer versions of VBox. I have used the virtualbox-guest-utils method successfully in the past just forgot about it till you mentioned it earlier.

securitybreach

Here's how Ubuntu 16.04 looks in Vbox on Linux Mint 17.3 host.

Screenshot%20from%202016-04-25%2019-23-10_zpsdpuc2qpr.png

I can't get your photobucket link to load.. I didn't even realize they were still around..