What is Driver Manager?

JerryM

Now and then I get a pop up that tells me that Driver Manager has determined that I need to update some drivers. This only happenss to my lap top.

What is the DM and is it legit or just a way to get info or money?

Thanks,

Jerry

I get a pop up that tells me that Driver Manager has determined that I need to update some drivers

Click on it and see if takes you to a site asking for money, kinda typical scumware behavior.

A quick Googling shows nothing good by that name, but quite a few problems/solutions for uninstalling it.

If Driver Manager is shown in installed programs, it was either intentionally installed and you forgot or was included as an uninvited extra when installing another program.

I found a thread in the Norton forum and I also saw this as part of a review (bad) a CNet for the Driver Manager program.

Drive Manager offered a free program, Norton PC Checkup; unlike other software vendors, there was no option to refuse the free program. (Warning)

Driver Manager appears to have named their program Norton PC Checkup to imply that it is a reputable program. It is not a Norton (Symantec) program.

Did you by chance run what you thought was a legitimate program, but is not, Norton PC Checkup?

I am not sure when it got there. I did use Norton a couple of years back. I had clicked on it once, and it did go to a site that charged for the service. I closed that, and suspect it is some sort of scumware. It does not cause problems, but just notifies that I need to update some drivers.

I will ignore it.

Thank for the help.

Jerry

If it is the "legitimate" Driver Manager software, it is likely the install is a trial. It is a licensed software and, from what I've read, it can be difficult to remove.

After learning more from here, I concluded that it was not what I wanted to keep, and was able to remove it through the Control Panel. Thanks for the help. I had disabled it today through WinPatrol, which did not have info on what it was. WP will check now that someone has asked. Not sure I will get anymore info however.

Regards,

Jerry

• 3 weeks later...

I would suggest that you uninstall Driver Manager.

If no-go, use AutoRuns to disable it - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902

I usually keep an occasional eye out for updated NVIDIA video, Intel wifi & Realtek Ethernet drivers - or upon BSOD, which has happened with video and wifi.

One of the best, current and free sources available today for driver info and update links with nearly 4,000 drivers accumulated from BSOD kernel dumps and investigated is John Carrona's (MS MVP) Driver Reference Table (DRT) -

http://www.carrona.org/dvrref.php

http://www.sysnative.com/drivers/

Carrona.org is the original and maintains content; Sysnative is a mirror and maintains the PHP + SQL coding for both sites.

Kind Regards,

John

• Like 1